D40 Durability

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToyTruck

Reaction score
Was wondering what's the highest mileage on a D40 you've seen without having problems with major parts (fuel pump, flywheel, turbocharger, etc).

I got to 40K apparently that's all you can expect from a D40 if you ask the experts :sarcastic:

Have one 07 d40 that comes in every two months with 10000km more everytime. Now up to 290k all good. Had the common rail replaced

We just had our 70,000km service on our barely 2-year-old D40 STX diesel auto. It's purring like a kitten. Front rotors have been replaced. Steering wheel plastic things and th two front door window switch surrounds have been replaced. In-dash unit is now a Pioneer F910BT (replacing the F900BT) and that's nothing to do with Nissan.

We had a transfer case seal replaced and the genuine Nissan rubber floor mat on my side is showing a little sign of wear where my right heel sits. I'm devastated.

Tony,
Why did the rotors need replacing?
Did they wear out and replaced with front brake pads?
If the pads did get replace was it the first set?
Did they require replacing due to brake vidration?

Thanks

VBSteve

They were replaced because they'd reached their wear limit. The pads had about 3-4mm of material left on them. There was no vibration or any other issues with the brakes except that under continued load (eg the haul down Mt Ousley) the brakes began to get a little too hot.

Oddly enough my new pads (which don't emit anywhere near the amount of dust) tend to fade out earlier than the old pads - I'm not particularly happy with that, but having changed my braking habits I've near enough overcome the brake-fade problem anyway.

We've probably done about just under 50% of the total km with the van behind us. Let's say it's 30,000km (I think it's a few more than that, but let's be conservative).

It's 1.8T loaded (supposedly). I'm considering getting its ATM upgraded, the chassis can definitely handle more and I've just replaced the two 59L water tanks with a pair of 82L tanks. I want to put one of those 59L tanks back underneath, giving us a total water capacity of 223L of water.

@Krafty
Right on the money at that mileage. Mine's at 40K and the turbo's busted. These things are disappointing to say the least. I never tow anything and never load the tub with more than 500kg's of swag. Thai built D40's rotors are like butter, a few heavy braking incidents on the freeway are enough to warp them.

My old D22 had 300K before it was sold and all that was replaced were normal consumables like bushings, bearings, UCA & LCA etc.

Kinda confirms my personal adage, "Sexy never lasts." Why can't Nissan build pretty things that last?

Although D40 rotors and pads wear out very quickly, they do pull up well.

There brakes work heaps better then Patrols. The 4.8 pulls up ok, heaps better then the 3L's and 4.5's etc.

My 2010 has just done 20,000 in 6 months with nothing but a leaking transfer seal and noisy clutch pipes, both of which I'm fairly sure are well known & acknowledged problems by Nissan.

I must admit the leaking transfer seal is a worry as the only 4x4'ing she'd done up to that point was on flat graded muddy roads.

my 550 6months old now, 15,000km, noise from engine when turbo boosting up, told by nissan its normal, can't hear it with window down so maybe just making it up.
Engine has loosened up nicely from about 10,000km, driving very nicely now

My 2008 D40 auto now has 70000km on it and about half of that has been done off road (ie West to East crossing of Australia, High Country etc etc). Had a torque convertor done @ 1500km or thereabouts, the plastic thingies around the steering wheel, and wait for it............................a new stereo - not because the stereo was kaput but only because the paint flaked off the PWR button. Local dealer said that's not good enough but couldn't source a knob so changed out the whole stereo.
Oh.....and like Old Tony....my OEM rubber mat on the driver's side is showing signs of wear...:sarcastic:
Noting to do with Mr Nissan or the reliability of the car per se.....I have had a bit of a doing over with contaminated fuel problems..ie water. Thankfully my water watch has prevented any real engine damage.

Back