d40 4wd trouble

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maca

Reaction score
evening guys i have a 2006 d40 stx the 4wd fault light is on and shows no 4wd symble on dash it does not engauge 4wd im am in kalgoorlie wa have had 2 workshops look to rectify problem latest being today at a cost of $500 and problem still there has any one else had this drama i was down in esperance a few mths back with caravan went to beach put in 4wd and stayed there for a day and half before it came out and i havent been game to put it back in 4wd since would have been a slow trip back to kal in 4lo with van in tow!

The D40 has some smarts in it that prevent it from engaging 4WD when certain faults exist.

The manual lists the following possible malfunctions that will cause the 4WD Warning Lamp to light up:

* Vehicle speed signal
* CAN communication line
* AD converter
* Engine speed signal
* 4WD shift switch
* Wait detection switch
* Actuator motor
* Transfer control device
* Transfer shut off relay
* Transfer shift relay
* PNP switch signal

The relays are under the bonnet.

There are also connections on the transfer case. It would be prudent to first inspect all of these and check their connections to make sure they're clean and not causing the problem.

Failing that, the rest of the diagnosis will require an error code from your ECU. If you have a smart phone and a bluetooth OBD adapter you could grab these codes, otherwise you need to get a mechanic - or better still, Nissan - to get them.

If you're within coee of Newcastle I can do that for you.

hey fellas,

This in no way helps but, im getting the same issue as well (2009 ST-X) But i have found that i can still engage Hi and Low 4WD at will. Make heads or tails of that one :big_smile:

It would be interesting to see what your ECU makes of it, Duane. It must be presenting a DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) for the light to be on. There are people down your way with Scangauge units that might have access to the codes, maybe ask one of the VNOG guys to hook their SG unit to your car for a look-see?

Four wheel Drive light

Hi Guys, our 2007 STX is currently on its fourth visit to the local dealer, they have replaced all switches, transfer case oil. currently they are searching for a broken wire/s in the harness. They tell me they have been in contact with Nissan. Noone seems to know what the fix actually is.

Welcome to the forum, 2007. Get them to check the relays under the bonnet. There could be a faulty one, or there might be something like moisture that has caused a problem with the connectors.

I have discovered today that i too have this issue. I shift into 4HI and drivetrain indicator on dash flashes to say it is trying to engage but never stops flashing, (although when trying to turn sharply feels as if it is in 4WD). When changing to 4LO the 4WD light comes on and my drivetrain indicator on dash turns off.

Very annoying.

Hi All, after many months hasseling the local dealer (who wouldn't do anything without Nissan's say so) we finally have a repaired 4wd indicator light.

It turns out that the problem comes from a wiring contractor skimping on the length of a earth wire?? in a plug behind the instrument cluster.

With hot weather and time the short wire is able to withdraw slightly from the plug causing the problem.

The fix simply add a small peice of wire to the short/stretched one. and $700 dollars for "search time" and replaced switches during the search!!

Latest posts

Back