d40 4cyl or v6 ? witch would u choose and why?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys thinking of a d40 ...
if u choose one would it be the v6 more powerful one or the 4cyl one?
and why ? cheers

:cheers!:

There are two V6s - petrol and diesel.

I wouldn't get a petrol, there's a chance I might want to do a river crossing (have done), so that leaves my choices between the 4cyl and 6cyl diesels.

There's a significant cost difference. The V6 diesel does have more power and although the engine is slightly larger in capacity, it uses less fuel to do the same work as the 4cyl engine - it seems it would be about 1-2LPHK roughly. That's (let's be generous) about $3 saved for every hundred km.

To recover the $20,000 price difference that I'd have to fork to upgrade (and that doesn't include the fitting out of the extra gear) I would need to drive the vehicle for (20000/3)*100 = 66,600 km. I can do that in two years ... but don't forget the rest of the gear I have to replace. It'd be closer to 3 years before I recovered the upgrade cost.

That said, if money wasn't a consideration, I'd go the V6 - but not yet. The current V6 diesel has heat issues and I don't want to have to fight the car - or Nissan.

$10k per cylinder is a lot of money if you don't really need it.

Sure it might be fun to have some extra kick and it gives you bragging rights but the argument has to be whether those options are worth more to you than a 4 cylinder with $20K worth of extras which can get you a lot further than a standard V6 will.

For me it's a no brainer, 6 cylinders just aint worth it.

If money wasn't an issue, I would be ticking the V6 box. There is huge upfront costs
as pointed out. It may be more effecient in some opperating ways but when you have the power you tend to take advantage of that power. Rego, is another issue here in Qld. your looking at least $200 dollars more a year for the six. Not to mention insurance. One reason i would like the V6 is to have more low down torque.

To be brutally honest, I would be waiting another 2-3 years before ticking the v6 option.

It is just scary how many area's of the build have been neglected.

Except for the sheer size of the intercooler, the entire enginebay layout seems somewhat tangled...

Perhaps a result of hastily applying a transverse front drive Renault V6 saloon engine design to a longitudinal truck setup with select 4wd?

Back