D22 steering grinding noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

have recently bought an 09 D22 dual cab (about 4-5 weeks ago) only has 22000k's on it.

over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a steering noise that seems to happen with any steering (louder etc with low speeds eg parking, but still there at 20k's etc)

It happens from a slight bit of steering to full lock. Have checked the steering stops and eliminated them as it happens throughout the whole steering range.

The noise only seems to happy on the bitumen and hard surfaces as far as I can tell? And have tried having front hubs locked and unlocked doesn't makre a difference. I went 4x4'ing on the beach and some dunes over the weekend and didn't notice the noise at all.

Anyone had a similar thing? I have just filled out and mailed my warranty card as the car still has 16 months of new car warranty left on it etc and then will go see the dealer and go from there in a week or so.

Regards,

Michael

There's always the chance that the power steering pump has a problem, or the rack itself.

That it happens across the entire steering range sort of discounts the suspension/rubbing possibilities.

Does it happen if you're stopped (handbrake on, in Park/neutral) and you try to turn the wheel? If it does, I'd put my money on the pump or the rack.

I wonder if they got the wrong fluid in the power steering? The Thai factory did that with some diffs. Maybe this is another case of something similar?

No it doesn't make a noise while stationary, which has led my thinking towards the LSD.

I've had the car around 4 weeks, and only noticed the noise during the last 2 week. Thinking back I didnt do any car parks really in the first two weeks etc just to and from work with no tight turns etc. So I'm guessing the problem has been there prior to me purchasing it.

Definately leaning towards the diff now, I wonder what the problem/solution/down time is involved. Oh well will go see Nissan Monday arvo and see what they have to say. The car is under new car warranty and there is no way I could have caused this myself. I've been grannying the car since owning it as it cost me a s***load!

Will keep updated.

Michael

Rear diffs were a known problem in that age.

The factory use to put the wrong oil in them.

Ah okay so it shouldnt be such a battle to get them to fix it after all, touch wood. And its common for it to take 20000ks for it to show up?

Is there likely to be any real damage to the diff if they just replace the oil with the correct one? What should I be looking to get out of them?

Michael

Yeah im sure its the diff you can here it unbind when i turn onto my gravel driveway off the bitumen etc - the inside wheel slips as soon as they are both onto the gravel with still 50% lock on the steering, if that makes sense. Definately to steering noise going left and right while stationery.

How could water get in the diff? Ive barely gone through a puddle that would even touch the bottom of the diff.

Also just crawled under the car and there is a bit of grease/dirt buildup on the drivers side of the diff that wasnt there 4 weeks ago as the car was steam cleaned etc at the yard.

Stressing a bit now this car cost me heaps lol

Michael

Hmm so this should be covered under warranty then right?

Yes it should be, the best way is to take a Nissan mechanic for a drive and make it do it, otherwise they may not believe you. I had to do that with my gearbox that jumped out of 5th gear, cock suker service manager said "I didn't know how to drive a manual".

Be careful

I have just recently had exactly the same problem. When I took it into Nissan they rejected my warranty claim and gave me a bill for what it would cost. Two and a half months later and many letters to Nissan Australia and they finally relented and covered it. My ute had done 35K and I drive like a nanna. 3K/km prior to this issue I had my major service whereby they changed the diff oil. I obtained an oil sample and intended to get it analysed when the dealership paniced and contacted Nissan. Next morning the claim was approved. Originally they tried telling me that it was caused by driver abuse, I had to provide my fuel economy records(8-9L/100km). Hopefully your dealership is a little more compliant and won't give you any grief. If they do give you grief PM me and I will let you know in more detail how I got it approved. You won't want to pay for this yourself as they qouted about $3500 to replace and refit new diff. Good luck.
Googs:cheers!:

Put my car up on ramps when I got home from work today to have a good suss.

Noted what i think was the serial number (72 in white writing printed on bottom of diff housing?) and sussed the breather line, absolutely no way water could have gotten near it and no water marks anywhere near the axle line or diff.

The gunky build up that looks like something might have leaked is on the drivers side of the housing between where the back part and front part of the housing bolt up together with the big bolts. So if its leaking its the main seal/gasket between these parts, not where the round axle part/cover joins the diff.

If it is just the oil from factory being wrong, would it only be showing up now or should it have shown up for the original owner when the car was fairly new?

Regards,

Michael

Hopefully all goes well come Monday arvo

Latest posts

Back