D22 lift kit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhett

Reaction score
Hey there guys, I'm after someone who can help me choose and install the right suspension, your place or mine. I'm pretty good with the tools and have most of what will be needed. Melbourne area. I live in doreen. Being this close to Xmas the missus is tightening the strings on the 4by otherwise I'd just drop it off somewhere

Hey Rhett, from speaking with Zordo its all pretty straight forward if you're handy on the tools. If you need a second set of hands I'd be happy to help out. Anything in particular you're not comfortable with tackling yourself?

Hey Rhett,
I just installed a full tough dog set-up in my d22 in the driveway. It's all pretty straightforward, pliers, spanners, socket set with extension, axle stands, lithium grease are about all the tools you'll need if everything goes to plan. Shocks and leaves are very easy just a few bolts. I did get stuck on the torsion bars, my biggest tip is try to do it on a flat level surface. My driveway has a decent slope in it and made it nearly impossible to get the splines to slide into the front receiver smoothly.
I'd be happy to give you a hand but it's still a bit of a hike from gippsland.

Scott I really wouldn't know where to start, ozzi what kit did you get? I went to ironman and they asking 1400 for full kit +440 for fitting, that included everything. I'm a chippy by trade and will have some weight on the ute from time to time

Rhett, check out ZORDOS suspension, there's a thread in the advertising section. Many from this forum have bought kits from John and been very pleased with his service. His kits include instructions and phone support if you get stuck so it's probably worth a crack with some help...

For my D22 I'll be getting the heavy duty leaf springs as I'll be carrying quite a bit of weight as well (pretty sure John said if it's ~100kg regularly go the heavy duty).

Let us know how you go and if you want a hand to save the $440.

The only problem you'll run into is if one of your front pins is sieved. Mine was 10 year old suspension so one of mine had siezed the bolt to the bushing and it was impossible to remove. I have to use and grinder and hacksaw for about 2 hours to finally remove the front eye pin. I got there in the end after a lot of cursing haha

Will check it out now Scott, sounds like the way to go. You should get yours and we can make a weekend of it.

Shorty I have an 08 but now I know just the man to speak to if one of the front pins is cactus haha

Will check it out now Scott, sounds like the way to go. You should get yours and we can make a weekend of it.

Shorty I have an 08 but now I know just the man to speak to if one of the front pins is cactus haha

That would be cool, I'm just waiting to see if I score a consulting gig in the next week or so and if I do (95% chance) I'll be purchasing a kit from Zordo with heavy duty springs and bilstein shocks. Will let you know and then we can organise something if that suits...

Scott I really wouldn't know where to start, ozzi what kit did you get? I went to ironman and they asking 1400 for full kit +440 for fitting, that included everything. I'm a chippy by trade and will have some weight on the ute from time to time

Hey rhett, (excuse the long reply)
I've never touched suspension before and was concerned too but was able to install the kit just following bits and pieces of information I found on this forum and watching youtube videos. I got a Tough Dog kit with foam cell shocks front and rear, new leaves, hd torsions, u bolts and polyurethane bushes (got them on sale off ebay for $1023 delivered). The ride is still a bit bumpy but far more controlled as I think the shocks have much better damping and rebound control than the nissan ones, got a decent lift too.

If you just climb under your ute and have a good look at the suspension and how everything is attached it makes a lot more sense and really isn't that difficult. Some good advice from this forum was do one side first, then you have the other side as a reference if you get stuck.

The shocks front and rear are literally one bolt top and bottom, you can just compress the shocks by hand, slot the new ones in and tighten the bolts up to spec. The springs - I undid the bolts through the eyes at the front and rear, then the 4 nuts in the cradle at the bottom of the u bolts, detached the brake line from the holder (just easier to maneuver), lift rotate and then slide the old leaves out the back. Put lubed bushes in were the nissan ones were and reverse the process. Torsions are a bit more fidly and if you're not real confident may be worth paying a local 4wd shop $100 to install them for you. You'll still be ahead financially and gives you a good sense of accomplishment of working on your own ute rather than just paying someone else.

If you want more detail or maybe pics just let me know.
Cheers :smile:

Thanks ozzi, boosting my confidence a little bit haha. Zordo suggested bluemax at 1350 + shipping. Just going to hit the forum first and scope out what everyone else is using and see if anyone has installed bluemax as iv never heard of them

Thanks ozzi, boosting my confidence a little bit haha. Zordo suggested bluemax at 1350 + shipping. Just going to hit the forum first and scope out what everyone else is using and see if anyone has installed bluemax as iv never heard of them

No worries mate, confidence is the main thing. Lol. I went the tough dog because of the great price and I had read good reviews of the foam cell shocks. There's a couple of guys on here running blue max and I haven't heard any complaints. Zordo seems to be a bit of a suspension guru and I reckon nearly half the guys on this forum are using suspension installed/supplied by him. So he won't steer you wrong.

Good luck with it. Let us know what you go with. Cheers

Hey Rhett,
I just installed a full tough dog set-up in my d22 in the driveway. It's all pretty straightforward, pliers, spanners, socket set with extension, axle stands, lithium grease are about all the tools you'll need if everything goes to plan. Shocks and leaves are very easy just a few bolts. I did get stuck on the torsion bars, my biggest tip is try to do it on a flat level surface. My driveway has a decent slope in it and made it nearly impossible to get the splines to slide into the front receiver smoothly.
I'd be happy to give you a hand but it's still a bit of a hike from gippsland.
Hey Ozzi,
How much did the tough dog kit cost you? What spring option did you go with and hows it go?

Hey Ozzi,
How much did the tough dog kit cost you? What spring option did you go with and hows it go?

Hey screamin TE. I got the full kit off eBay on special for $1023 delivered (from archm indistries, no affiliation). I went with the comfort springs. To be honest I haven't really had the chance to test it off road yet, other than a few actual dirt roads. I'm really happy with the lift I got and the ride has improved a bit but not massively. The standard crap from Nissan I found really crashed on potholes and speed bumps, the Tough Dogs don't. It also handles flatter through corners and roundabouts, I think due to the HD torsions. I recently put a canopy on and steel rear bar and that little bit of extra weight seems to have improved the ride in the rear. So yeah, I'm very happy with it for the price, I reckon the Dobinsons may give a better ride but tend to be more $. Cheers

Thanks Ozzi.
I've already got a steel bar and a high roof canopy. I'll probably eventually add a set of rear drawers, fridge and camp gear.

That shouldn't add too much for a det of comfort leaves but could always add a helper or just change the springs out down the track.

Thanks Ozzi.
I've already got a steel bar and a high roof canopy. I'll probably eventually add a set of rear drawers, fridge and camp gear.

That shouldn't add too much for a det of comfort leaves but could always add a helper or just change the springs out down the track.

No worries. Yeah that's a bit of weight you'll be adding but the issue is constant load. If you don't have a couple of hundred kilos in the back at all times then you're in for a bouncy ride with HD leafs. A helper is probably not a bad idea at all, especially when you add the draws as it may start to sag otherwise. Cheers

Back