D21 Build Log

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I've found and bought a stripped Terrano chassis with diffs and complete rear suspension.

Seems I've also inadvertently entered into a rear drum to disc brake conversion and I'll have an LSD since it's a Terrano axle. I don't think there's anything wrong with drum brakes but hey, it's included.

It's at Bribie Island, so it's a three act comedy to get it down to my garage. ETA March :dong:

A little more research on a coil conversion -

4x4 D21 chassis come in five main variants, depending on factory -
LWB Single Cab (JPN, USA)
LWB King Cab (JPN, USA)
LWB Dual Cab (JPN)
SWB Single Cab (USA)
SWB Pathfinder (JPN, USA)

As you can see Australia doesn't get any SWB utility variants and USA doesn't get a dual cab. I've excluded Europe because it's of no consequence to me.

The difference in wheelbase of the two chassis length variants is 300mm, and this difference is between the third body mount from the front and where the chassis curve begins, which means that notionally the shape of the rear of the chassis is the same, allowing for the use of Pathfinder suspension geometry with a custom length driveshaft.

Items which require modification:
Removal of leaf spring mounts x4
Removal of damper mounts x2
Removal of chassis cross members x2
Transfer of chassis cross members x3
Transfer of lower arm mounts x2
Transfer of spring saddles x2
Any chassis strengthening as requested by engineer (as the wheelbase is greater than on a pathfinder - it's essentially like doing a Pathfinder chassis extension)
Fuel system modifications to utilise Pathfinder fuel tank.

Depending on what a hunt of the wreckers shows up, it'd be nice to find a pair of commonly available small car fuel tanks that fit between the chassis rails either side of the driveshaft, in front of the axle where the standard Navara tank lives (with exhaust moved). I have to ditch my Navara tank as the five link gets in the bloody way.

Still hunting a Pathfinder to cannibalise.

Looks like I've found and bought a stripped Terrano chassis with diffs and complete rear suspension.

Seems I've also inadvertently entered into a rear drum to disc brake conversion and I'll have an LSD since it's a Terrano axle. I don't think there's anything wrong with drum brakes but hey, it's included.

It's at Bribie Island, so it's a three act comedy to get it down to my garage. ETA March :dong:
It's a crying shame we didn't get any of the SWB models............how SWEET would they look:truck:
Just reading what needs to be done to convert it to a coil rear end, wondering if it would be easier to just put your body on the Terrano chassis???????
Either way, looking forward to seeing the outcome:victory:

Cheers................Dave

It's a crying shame we didn't get any of the SWB models............how SWEET would they look:truck:
Just reading what needs to be done to convert it to a coil rear end, wondering if it would be easier to just put your body on the Terrano chassis???????
Either way, looking forward to seeing the outcome:victory:

A SWB single cab would be pretty awesome for a harder core truck, better ramp over angle. You can bolt a single cab on the Terrano chassis, that would give you a SWB Navara with a turbo engine and five link coil rear, LSD etc.

Dual cabs don't fit on a SWB chassis like the Terrano one, you may have noticed four door pathfinder rear doors are part of the wheel arch. If there was a LWB terrano I'd do exactly what you describe. :top:

Me too... :santaclaus:

Theres only one floor with that idea, isnt the pathy suspension set 50mm lower that the navs?

The pathfinder body is mounted about 50mm lower on the chassis, doesn't mean it wouldn't fit, just limits your tyre size to 31" I think.

Picked up the Terrano chassis on Wednesday, the body is rusted to buggery but the axles/diffs seem okay. I even scored a couple of extras like a fuel filler release that were left in the body.

It's on the Gold Coast waiting for the next phase of the epic operation to get it down here. Didn't take a camera so no photos.

Post the engine up in the for sale section.

If I had a Z24 powered D21 Id jump at it.

Power windows to, you will wonder why you didn't get them sooner.

Dave.

The sale of the black dual cab has been cast in some doubt from the seller's end, so we'll see how that goes.

Arrived from QLD at 5am this morning with the precious load:
BuildLog008_001_Medium_.jpg

It's a rear chassis halfcut upside down and back-to-front on a wood frame.

Brisbane to Wandong took twenty-one hours including driver changes, refuelling, food stops, roadworks, idiot drivers, and nursing the tortured frame over NSW's finest concrete "highways". We did around 100km/h average when moving, sometimes 110, sometimes 80-90 over the really rough sections, and got 9-12lt/100km depending on road conditions, with a load of about 600kg. Pretty impressive. The Hume and Pacific get better each day.

BuildLog008_003_Medium_.jpg

BuildLog008_004_Medium_.jpg

Last edited:
so is there a plan to sas the front end aswell? why the 5link rear?
Sorry if youve mentioned it before.

so is there a plan to sas the front end aswell? why the 5link rear?
Sorry if youve mentioned it before.

Still deciding on the front end. Mainly I cbf flipping a diff to get the LH offset pumpkin. At the moment I just plan to fit the R200a diff I've got sitting around so I can airlock it.

The five link is coz I want to fit it with rolling lobe airbags with a cross-link. That way it's still a comfortable ride when it's unloaded, and the xlink is an experiment to get good flex.

Latest posts

Back