D21 Build Log

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really need to get those front panels sorted.

Touring01_002_Large_.jpg

Touring01_018_Large_.jpg

Just go for a match and get the two back doors painted black.

Looking good though, where was the photo taken?

Ha, yeah. Currently I'm thinking to find a pathy with the same paint and steal the front panels and rear axle/coil suspension setup if the chassis are compatible, I know the wheelbase is different but not sure on the chassis shape.

Cheers, the first is on Lords Rd, the second is on Main Mountain Rd, both in Mt Disappointment State Forest.

Ha, yeah. Currently I'm thinking to find a pathy with the same paint and steal the front panels and rear axle/coil suspension setup if the chassis are compatible, I know the wheelbase is different but not sure on the chassis shape.

Cheers, the first is on Lords Rd, the second is on Main Mountain Rd, both in Mt Disappointment State Forest.

Ah ok I haven't been up there in a long time, it's probably been 15 years no doubt a lot has changed. One day again maybe.

My mate just put a surf coil rear end into his hilux and all went well so hopefully with the pathfinder you have the same luck.

My mate just put a surf coil rear end into his hilux and all went well so hopefully with the pathfinder you have the same luck.

Yeah good to hear, let's hope I do.

Yeah it is good Jason, didn't make it into 4x4 on this trip as only the main roads are open but ah well.

Hey mate its all looking good.When is the turbo and cooler making its way to the engine bay? Id be happy to purchase your cooler. What was it you said it came off.

Hey mate its all looking good.When is the turbo and cooler making its way to the engine bay? Id be happy to purchase your cooler. What was it you said it came off.

Intercooler is off an Urvan TD27Ti import motor.

I might as well explain it fully, here's the things that are in the way of me fitting the turbo/intercooler:
Finishing my workbench!
Saving the coin to buy the piping, water piping, water pump etc
Saving the coin to have a fuel system overhaul and dyno tune as soon as the turbo is fitted.

That comes to about $1600 to fit the turbo up if nothing else is wrong with it.

I'd sell it to you but I want to use it :big_smile:. DANHEMP on this forum just took the same intercooler off his urvan motor and I don't know if he plans on ever using it so why not shoot him a PM? Plus he's geographically closer to you than I am :top:

I got sick of looking at the beast's bad attitude so I found some flat ground and measured the "H" value of the front suspension - the difference between the bottom of the steering stop bracket and the centre of the lower link spindle, and got 24 and 26. The acceptable range is 41-51, so I have some sagged ass torsion bars. It took two goes but I got them to 50 each side (I'm not a heavy guy so I won't adjust for driver), looks much more natural now 25mm higher.

More pics pronav, is it more on the level side now.

It is indeed. In these photos it's on a bit of a slope (sloping carport = easy to get a rolling chassis in!) and it has a full tank of diesel so it's listed a bit to the drivers side. I squeezed 58L into the 60L tank this time, I was playing Fuel Light Bingo.

Nice work mate. Looks good with the dual cab conversion. Im impressed. Now lets see some flex photos.

I've shamelessly ripped off Joshy's method of testing flex because I didn't take a camera when I went out on the weekend. I did flex it up on a bank when I was out, the most impressive thing I thought was the departure angle, I didn't bend any panels on what was basically a vertical step about 350mm high.

Stock flex is pretty unimpressive. FL is on the compression bumpstop, FR is on the extension bumpstop, RR is on the compression bumpstop and RL is at the end of the shock absorber. The wheels are still touching the ground (one is touching virtual ground...)

I put the towbar back on the other day and when I went for a quick wheel yesterday, I barely went anywhere and yet managed to whack it on a rock in a tiny creek crossing. It's really low, FFS. I do like having it there though, as it seems to be built beyond its required towing capacity so it can be abused for snatch recoveries.

Slightly off topic Pro Nav but last week going through Waikerie SA I noticed a Nav the same as yours sitting in a second hand yard. Didn't take a close look but from the road the panels all looked clean and had the same colour scheme as yours and it had a $4000 price tag on it.

Slightly off topic Pro Nav but last week going through Waikerie SA I noticed a Nav the same as yours sitting in a second hand yard. Didn't take a close look but from the road the panels all looked clean and had the same colour scheme as yours and it had a $4000 price tag on it.

$4000 eh, well I'm glad mine will be worth that then once all the panels are the same colour! :big_smile:

The better half has spoken and the decision for the new colour of the Nav is black; so I'm going to keep an eye out for a black 2wd with blown engine to take the cab off, and a black pathfinder to take the fenders, bonnet and front doors off. If anyone sees either of these for under $1000, let me know!

A little more research on a coil conversion -

4x4 D21 chassis come in five main variants, depending on factory -
LWB Single Cab (JPN, USA)
LWB King Cab (JPN, USA)
LWB Dual Cab (JPN)
SWB Single Cab (USA)
SWB Pathfinder (JPN, USA)

As you can see Australia doesn't get any SWB utility variants and USA doesn't get a dual cab. I've excluded Europe because it's of no consequence to me.

The difference in wheelbase of the two chassis length variants is 300mm, and this difference is between the third body mount from the front and where the chassis curve begins, which means that notionally the shape of the rear of the chassis is the same, allowing for the use of Pathfinder suspension geometry with a custom length driveshaft.

Items which require modification:
Removal of leaf spring mounts x4
Removal of damper mounts x2
Removal of chassis cross members x2
Transfer of chassis cross members x3
Transfer of lower arm mounts x2
Transfer of spring saddles x2
Any chassis strengthening as requested by engineer (as the wheelbase is greater than on a pathfinder - it's essentially like doing a Pathfinder chassis extension)
Fuel system modifications to utilise Pathfinder fuel tank.

Depending on what a hunt of the wreckers shows up, it'd be nice to find a pair of commonly available small car fuel tanks that fit between the chassis rails either side of the driveshaft, in front of the axle where the standard Navara tank lives (with exhaust moved). I have to ditch my Navara tank as the five link gets in the bloody way.

Still hunting a Pathfinder to cannibalise.

Latest posts

Back