Clutch depression

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballzy90

Reaction score
So just about every time I go off road I'll get stuck in a mud puddle. No dramas with that it's all in the fun of going off road. However once im back on the road and on my way home I notice that whenever the clutch is depressed there is a noise. Kind of like there is some gunk or mud stuck on the lever. Usually this will go away with a few days driving. But I'm worried about what this is doing to my clutch. I have no idea what I'm looking for do clean this off or find the problem. So if anyone has had this problem before or knows a way to solve this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Also is there any thing I can do to protect my gear box and diff once I go under water?

Is it a squeak or a grinding noise? Best to just stick your head under the car and have a look and locate the noise. Have someone press the clutch while your under the car.

Something people used to do to help that was put a barbed fitting in the top of the bellhousing and attach a compressed air line to it. Then before you go in the water/mud switch your compressor on and it pressurises the bellhousing so if you get stuck no water gets into the clutch... well as long as the compressor doesn't shut off lol

It's more of a grinding noise than a squeak. It will usually go away after a few days but it's sticking around this time. I'll jump under it sometime today if I can find someone to press the clutch in for me. If I depress the clutch quickly I don't hear the noise but the slower I go the worse it sounds. If I do find the noise I assume it should be a simple clean and some wd on the moving part? I'll look into the barbed fitting for the bell house and if it's going to save my clutch from getting gunk and water in it then it'll be something I have to do. Also when I'm stuck in these kind of situations should I resist changing from forward to reverse? Maybe leave it in neutral with the clutch out or is it fine to leave it in gear while I wait to be towed out?

As soon as you depress the clutch you will get water between the friction surfaces. That won't help the bearings or the clutch / pressure plate as it will build up with mud and whatever else is in the water and cause what you are hearing now.

Putting compressed air in there just stops any of that getting in there. If you can, try not to use the clutch at all when it is under water as it can sometimes stop any drive at all if you get buildup between the friction surfaces.

never heard of filling the bellhousing with compressed air. surely the seal between this housing and the engine is not that air tight.

never heard of filling the bellhousing with compressed air. surely the seal between this housing and the engine is not that air tight.
Doesn't matter how airtight it is. As long as the pressure inside is higher than the water pressure outside it will stay out

to me it sounds like a thrust bearing, probably partially seized a sharp jab on the clutch is most likely enough to get it moving so no noise, slow application allows it to resist lots of noise. Hope I am wrong though because it will mean gearbox out and new clutch kit.

It's gotta go in for its 15000 km service in about a week. The noise isn't as bad any more so I'll just wait to see what they can do and I'll play dumb and claim warranty. Lol I know it's a long shot but I'm mates with the seller

Back