bonnet pops up while driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamp

Reaction score
hey i Have a 06 D22. i got a little problem with my bonnet. it pops up wen im driving over a ruff road or today wen i was doing 110 on the high way and with strong winds. im wurryed one day it will pop up and the bonnet wil fly up and smash the window.
just wondering if anyone elc has this problem or how to fix it.

have you tried loosening it up with WD40,it might have some gunk or rust that is stopping it from full operation,if not id say maybe a missing retainer spring or pin or something.

I would get onto it quik, I had an XD and the bonnet came up doing over 110 and it smashed the windscreen and caved in the roof which missed my mead by a couple of mm and car was written off.

ye ive tryed to spray wd40. but it hasnt seemed to make much differents. im under a suspition that it might have been hit in the front b4 i owned it. i think somthing might have happened then

I'm sure at some point I saw a recall of navs for this problem... Not sure what year it was though.

ye ive tryed to spray wd40. but it hasnt seemed to make much differents. im under a suspition that it might have been hit in the front b4 i owned it. i think somthing might have happened then

look at all the panel joins and see if theres any uneven gaps,will give you an idea on if its been hit.with the latch i probly wouldnt bugger around trying to find the issue, go to the wreckers and grab a new latch would be the safest bet.i think they bolt on and off for memory.
my old pajero bonnet poped when i was going down the highway, not cool.but thats coz the missus popped it instead of the fuel cap lol

I'm sure at some point I saw a recall of navs for this problem... Not sure what year it was though.

Many D40s from 2008-2010 were recalled and had an anal retentive strap added, because at > 90km/h the radiator's cross-member could break (there is an issue with weight on the front as well, which is why if there was more than 55kg on the front, they replaced the springs with HD ones too).

Having a bonnet fly up on you is disastrous. It's something I'd get seen to really quickly.

I'm with Old Tony pretty sure a lot of D40's were recalled for that . You could always put bonnet clips on , But I hate them ...

He's got a D22 not a D40.
Two things might need to be done.
1. adjust the bonnet catch where the hook release is.
2. lower the bonnet bumpers, check the alignment between the top of guard and top of bonnet first.

thanx for the in put guys. im currently working over a hr away from home so ive had no time to have a look at it. but over the wk end ill take a photo if the latch see if u guys have the same thing coz im not sure if its missing a spring thats holds the lock into place.
at the moment ive just put some rope through the holes under the bonnet and tied it under the bullbar just as a saftey measure

Latest posts

Back