Attaching D shackles to D22 Factory Steel Bullbar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperST-R

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain someone would have had this issue in the past and rectified the problem. I've found that I cannot fit large D shackles to the recovery poits on my factory steel bullbar due to the bolts on the bashplate. Can I safely remove said bolts without having bits and pieces fall off? I'd rather not buy smaller shackles if possible.

The 2 eyelets on the genuine bar are not recovery points, they are tie down point

Which is bolted directly to the chassis. I work at Nissan in spare parts as well as other areas and can't say I've ever read about them being tie down points. I often go 4wding with a co worker who the Nissan tech who fitted the bullbar and he himself has attached snatch straps etc to those eyelets on a few occasions now. You can't fit a shackle through the factory recovery points as specified in the owners manual as the holes are too small.

I would be interested to see what front recovery points you use??

The two tie down points are not rated. People die every year in Aus because of using towballs or tie down points as recovery points.

Do you know the process of rating recovery points?? I would never ever ever use a towball in a recovery procedure as it is hugely unsafe. Thank you for pointing that out to me though. I have however done alot of 4wd training and recovery procedures in my life time with a number of 4wd clubs and I am constantly reading new information on this. I do not participate in any unsafe 4wding activities.

3.75t shackles and a equalizer works perfectly. I heard that shackles are tested to 4x there stated rating. So a 3.75t shackle is tested to 15t.

The only place I have a bigger shackle is on the rear towbar recovery block

Rusty

3.75t shackles and a equalizer works perfectly. I heard that shackles are tested to 4x there stated rating. So a 3.75t shackle is tested to 15t.

The only place I have a bigger shackle is on the rear towbar recovery block

Rusty

Thanks Rusty, that's the size shackle I like to use however I do need to slightly modify the bullbar bashplate so they fit. I will be investing in an equalizer strap in the very near future as well. I believe in overkill when it comes to recovery equipment.

Thanks Rusty, that's the size shackle I like to use however I do need to slightly modify the bullbar bashplate so they fit. I will be investing in an equalizer strap in the very near future as well. I believe in overkill when it comes to recovery equipment.

Hmmm its interesting you need to modify anything for them to fit in the existing bullbar mount holes. I have ironman plates and have no issues with the factory alloy bar.

I'm fairly certain someone would have had this issue in the past and rectified the problem. I've found that I cannot fit large D shackles to the recovery poits on my factory steel bullbar due to the bolts on the bashplate. Can I safely remove said bolts without having bits and pieces fall off? I'd rather not buy smaller shackles if possible.

Throw up a pic or two of your recovery points and where the shackles foul on the plate - might satisfy curiosity.

Nakedape they foul on the bolt heads the hold the radiator guard on, there is two side by side, as rusty said i have some 3.5t shackles and the fit just and a big enough , i think for general light recovery these point are ok to use, for heavy recoveries you have a winch bar that should have a winch so use it!! or use and equaliser strap!

i know the outback ideas point go off the chassis but by the time they are mounted there and if your stuck in mud they would be a PITA to get to!!

but and the end of the day d22's dont get stuck so they dont need recovering:rambo:

cheers
bryan

Nakedape they foul on the bolt heads the hold the radiator guard on, there is two side by side, as rusty said i have some 3.5t shackles and the fit just and a big enough , i think for general light recovery these point are ok to use, for heavy recoveries you have a winch bar that should have a winch so use it!! or use and equaliser strap!

i know the outback ideas point go off the chassis but by the time they are mounted there and if your stuck in mud they would be a PITA to get to!!

but and the end of the day d22's dont get stuck so they dont need recovering:rambo:

cheers
bryan

Yeh yeh, just curious to see the set up. I've seen plenty of bars on toyotas with recovery points - but not on a d22. But like you say - it ain't a d40 so won't get stuck anyway :)

Which is bolted directly to the chassis. I work at Nissan in spare parts as well as other areas and can't say I've ever read about them being tie down points. I often go 4wding with a co worker who the Nissan tech who fitted the bullbar and he himself has attached snatch straps etc to those eyelets on a few occasions now. You can't fit a shackle through the factory recovery points as specified in the owners manual as the holes are too small.

I would be interested to see what front recovery points you use??

Mate I work at arb and have had 3 customers this year come in for new bars and proper recovery points due to using those eyelets in genuine bars and rippin the the shackle out, one of which went through the back window of a patrol. If anything there probably tow point as the are not thick enough for the force of a snatch recovery

There is this style http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=846

but I made this style
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee112/tommy222220_0/IMAG0077.jpg

Soz, but couldn't find the detail thread on how to make them.

A search on recovery points is the way to go.

Mate I work at arb and have had 3 customers this year come in for new bars and proper recovery points due to using those eyelets in genuine bars and rippin the the shackle out, one of which went through the back window of a patrol. If anything there probably tow point as the are not thick enough for the force of a snatch recovery

I use the same style as terryc and have had no problem. I do have a heavy piece of flat between the hook and chassis so it doesn't pull out if it were to. I have hooks on both sides up front. Same at the rear.

I agree with nfury8 I would never use the eyelets as recovery points to snatch off. If I had a photo id upload it but a mates bar has 1 of those eyelets ripped out on his bar due to snatching off it.

Yeh yeh, just curious to see the set up. I've seen plenty of bars on toyotas with recovery points - but not on a d22. But like you say - it ain't a d40 so won't get stuck anyway :)

I only had to remove the two outer bolts on either side of the radiator support guard and now the 3.75t D shackles fit easily.

Ok, then would you not agree with me that improper recovery techniques more then likely contributed to these occurances happeing? And you'd be aware that genuine steel bullbars are made by ARB for Nissan.

Ok, then would you not agree with me that improper recovery techniques more then likely contributed to these occurances happeing? And you'd be aware that genuine steel bullbars are made by ARB for Nissan.

No I would not agree with u that it is incorrect technique, it comes down to the fact they a not designed or built to be recovery points. I am also aware that arb make the bars for Nissan and that arb released a statement about 4 months ago that bars made by them are not recovery rated hence why they design dedicated recovery point that bolt to the chassis.

I have a steel bar and have been trying to safely design something like this, but am finding it difficult to do. Do you think its possible to achieve as an after market version?? safe for snatching??

Attachments

• DBOR%20FRT%20BAR.jpg
    DBOR%20FRT%20BAR.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back