Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just a shame that Australian diesel struggles to break out of the mid 40s.

I'm sure one of our members uses JetA of some variety. I'd love to see a dyno chart from that vehicle.

Actually I would volunteer my car for a dyno run before-and-after 2-stroke just to see if there IS any difference that we can actually demonstrate.

I've heard of diesel run-on and without a catch can it's something to be seriously concerned about. With a well set up catch can, it's much less of a worry.

I guess you can always slam your hand over the snorkel to shut er down:)

Seriously tho in another life I have had to pull the air flaps on 16 149 GM that did run away after one of the turbo charger shafts broke! Runs 4 turbos on that baby.

So it's been a while and I can't possibly read all the posts............what is the preferred two stroke - is it still Castrol 2T ?

In my experience, Castrol Activ 2T is better than Valvoline's equivalent. I haven't tried any others, and probably won't for some time, since I'm using it at the rate of about 150ml a month if I'm lucky. The oil I have will probably reach its use-by date before I get to use it all!

In my experience, Castrol Activ 2T is better than Valvoline's equivalent. I haven't tried any others, and probably won't for some time, since I'm using it at the rate of about 150ml a month if I'm lucky. The oil I have will probably reach its use-by date before I get to use it all!

so you're using 2 stroke oil in your engine?

One of the reasons for the suggestion of adding 2% Two stroke to the diesel tank is that the low sulphur new diesel does not have the lubricant qualities of the good old diesel fuels. So the 2 stroke helps to lubricate and quieten the injectors and hopefully increase their life. Now considering that most petrol engines have some sort of injectors in it and petrol is a worse lubricant then diesel then why don't petrol cars have massive problems with failing injectors? Petrol cars injectors seems to be lasting well without adding too many additives to their standard fuels.

O Now considering that most petrol engines have some sort of injectors in it and petrol is a worse lubricant then diesel then why don't petrol cars have massive problems with failing injectors?

petrol injectors are low pressure compared to diesels. also i suspect heat is another factor. petrol injectors are normally in the intake but diesels go direct into the combustion area. plus the diesel is heated due to the injection pump compressing it.

the big killer of diesels is water. it separates and sits rusting parts. petrol it mixes with and passes through.

howdy guys , since buying my Nav'zd30 I have been using injector cleaner and on asking Doug at Warragul injector service "he's been around diesels for 40 odd years" told me it's more a preventative measure although it can free deposits it wont remove certain tarnish marks left from shite fuel used.. With that said I was operating a bobcat that was using 20lt every 4 to 5 hours so we used a 300ml bottle of injector cleaner every 20lt for about 100 lt and notice fuel consumption doubled -so they do have their good points.

With the 2 stroke oil - I'm in ! I used about 150ml of marine 2 stroke to 60 odd lt last night and on the way back from Mornington to Phillip Island noticed it pulled better "rather responsive" and got better millage ??? next tank I will go the 300ml to 70lt and give you all a report... And I plan to keep using it once the injectors are replaced this week "but I will run it past Doug and give you guys he's thoughts !
It can't hurt " for god sake -they run on biodiesel ! "food oils etc" and I think I'd rather have mine smelling like a 2 banger than the local fish'n'chip shop hahahaha

End of the day mate if your tug went better with oil and diesel the 2 stroke being non burning that is unusual, when 2 stroke is introduced the cetane rating of the diesel is reduced the exhaust side copes with the unburnt residue.

Being such an old topic perhaps spend an hour or two searching everybody has a mixed ideas putting more sludge in your tank that won't burn correctly will not benefit your rig at all if anything may worsen it did you know over time the oil will settle to the bottom of the tank and as the fuel lowers up flows the shit

What comes with it all the crap at the bottom the standard filter cannot cope Yea all can laugh i saw this in the mid 80's with 2.2/2.4 hilux and sd25/td27 nissan folk would add 2 stroke back then it was called bp zoom for your victa boom for your diesel anybody with a cr@25000psi adding this say no more.

2 stroke oil will blend with ulp but diesel it disturbs the structure of the fuel and settles in the lower part working in small motors and tractors in the late 80's and early 90's we went to alot of product info nights with various small diesel producers that were aware of the trend of 2 stroke addition some showed us the results of this with motors pulled down yanmar and kubota advised against the practice.

Last edited:
With the two stroke oil in, the exhaust is noticeably less smokey, that indicates to me that combustion is more complete because there is less particulate coming out, The difference in how much quieter the injector pump is is undeniable.

Back