Acceleration+Load=Engine Squeal on ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooby

Reaction score
Hello,
Just bought an 06 DX with a ZD30 in it.
While driving on the freeway Ive noticed a high pitch squeal from the engine.
-Only with revs >2600.
-Squeal comes only while im in gear and under load, and driving fast (not in neutral or with clutch pressed in), when warmed. In neutral there is no squeal, just nice revving.
-It is accelerator controlled, I can make the squeal happen by pressing the accelerator 1mm in, and stop the squeal by easing the accelerator out (at different points according to revs, speed, hill resistance etc).

Does any one know what this squeal could be?
Thank you in andvance for any ideas.

i would suspect turbo. if its a squeal and not turbo wine i would be getting turbo checked quick smart. if turbo goes it tends to take out the whole engine.

Gotta agree with Tweake.

When the tensioners start failing they squeal at idle.

Dave.

boost leak. check all your joiners and clamps.

you get max boost at ~3000rpm even in neutral. therfore it should squeal in nuetral. tho it won't hurt to check pipes are not split and the exhaust manifold isn't leaking.

Mine does a slight squeel but only under the following circumstances. mine is the newer 2.5CR engine

- Engine cold
- First gear take off (that's not to say it wouldn't happen in 2nd gear, but has only happened when it first)
- Upper rev range (haven't taken too much notice but probably >2500/3000 RPM

So if I start my car, take off, and then just as I let off the throttle to change into second gear, there is a momentary squeek. I am guessing that it might have something to do with a lack of oil into the turbo and when it stalls it's grinding metal-on-metal, as it doesn't make this noise any other time. I know that in theory I shouldn't be revving a cold engine, but the fact is that a 9 month old engine shouldn't be doing it. And I normally let it run for at least 10-20 seconds or more before I take off, so that should be enough time to get at least a bit of oil running through the motor. It hasn't made this noise all along, only in the last couple of months

I have recently started hearing the same sort of squeek/whine.

Took it to the shop, they swore EGR gasket but could not find the source.
I have my EGR blocked as well.

End up getting it back with a wait and see, they said it sounds "safe"
That i should continue until it gets louder or until it shows itself
:suicide2:

Hopefully it's not all bad.

let us know how you go

Thanks heaps for advice. Has been at my mechanic being investigated since. Finally got word.
Turns out wastegate is broken...he said he isolated it to the turbo somehow and then G-clamped the wastegate and drove it and it didn't make the noise! He wants to fix the wastegate and recondition the turbo. Not sure what that means but hopefully it helps point anyone else in the right direction.

Last edited:
Finaly got it back. Turbo all fixed and sweet. The turbo place said I got in just in time, it had been very neglected. Now to get a turbo timer.
Thanks for everyones help.

Another noise that I wondered about although presumably not related to yours if a turbo rebuild has fixed it.

No idea on the new YD25 powered ones but the stock exhaust on the ZD30 powered D22 is firstly quite restrictive and secondly (In mine at least) made a noise like a demented piccolo under load at higher revs. I eventually tracked that down to the small resonator in the middle of the exhaust. Replaced the pipe with 2.5" from the flex join back with one muffler and it was just as quiet as before, picked up performance noticeably and lost the woodwind section from the exhaust note.

yeah also some of the flexible bellows get a whine/whistle going at certain rpm could be worth checking out best place to listen is on a dyno :rock:

you get max boost at ~3000rpm even in neutral. therfore it should squeal in nuetral. tho it won't hurt to check pipes are not split and the exhaust manifold isn't leaking.

NO YOU DONT!!! try it if you got a boost guage, max boost under load only :devil::devil::closed:

NO YOU DONT!!! try it if you got a boost guage, max boost under load only :devil::devil::closed:

seeing as i havn't done it for such a long time, i tried it this morning.
out of gear, boot the throttle....... 15psi @ 4000 rpm. certainly later than my usual 15psi @ 2500 rpm. but still theres max boost with no load.....just.
not to mention getting 2psi boost going down hill with fuel turned off!
they use piddly little turbo's.

so bite me ! :devil:

Latest posts

Back