5th gear whine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick-palmer1

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So my nav has got a bit of a whine in top at about 100ks,
Weighing up my options and im wondering if i should pull it out and put an overhaul kit through it or buy a reco unit and swap it over.
Has anyone had a go at overhauling their own 'box? or know of where i could get a decent reco one?

Cheers!

i rebuilt the gearbox in my Kingswood 20 years ago. Swore i'd never do it again, once their apart all the bits look the same. Had a gear selector hub in back to front and had to pull it apart again. If you do it, take photos as you disassemble it. Wasn't difficult otherwise.

205000ks, bought it second hand and i think it has done a bit of towing, the rebuilding of the gearbox will be no worries for me, did a road ranger once with my apprenticeship training, just not sure weather i would be better off replacing or fixing the old one. overhaul kit on ebay is about $500, not a lot of info in the manual about it either though,

If you can do a Roadranger, I think a Nissan gearbox should be easier for you.

Its probably only the bearings.

Yeah shouldnt be too hard its just getting the time to have the car off the road, ever had a gearbox out of one? how long would it take to get it out? do you reckon it could be a weekend job?

Pretty sure you have to remove the torsion bars to get the gearbox out, adds a bit of time.

yeah i had heard that, might buy a suspension kit while i am at it and do it all at once! I have the PDF manual for the d22 but cant find much on overhauling gearboxes and im not exactly sure which model of gearbox is in mine, any ideas?

hey mate how did you go pulling your gear box out?? I think i have to pull mine out in the near future as the gears are starting to crunch. Just weighing up some options and havent really talked to anyone who has pulled a box out of the D22.

I am also pretty sure the Torsion bars also need to be removed prior to removing the transmission.

At what speed do you use 5th gear? In my previous role, we had many vehicles come in with badly worn 5th gears. This was due to low speed overload. It can badly wear the spline on the mainshaft and the associated 5th gear.

It may not be just as simple as bearings. If you purchase a second hand unit, you could be getting the same problems... :(

If I can be of any further help please let me know.

yeah i had a quick look underneath and saw that the torsion bars will have to be taken out. doesnt look like to be a huge job. i have pulled gear boxes out before in older model hilux's which werent a drama. just never a navara.

I usually dont throw it in to 5th gear till 4th is wound out so about 90??? My ute has 160 km on it but it started when it was around 140 thousand and slowly getting worse. 95% of those km are on the highway as i drive a long way to work.

One thing a fella mentioned to me it could be from towing in 5th gear??? i dont really believe that as i would think it should be able to handle towing my 4.35 m tinny around. surely.

So i really think i will pull it out and myself and take it to a mate to have a look over it. I think that is the best option as if i get a 2nd hand one it could be the same or worse!!!

Oh yeah it is a 08 D22 2.5L dual cab.

Well, using 5th from about 90km/h onwards is ok... I had one customer come into work once complaining about his Triton having noise in 5th gear. I asked when he engaged the gear, and he said not until 80/90km/h. He took me for a drive so I could hear it, and numerous times on the drive we were doing 60km/h and he was in 5th.

I also believe that towing can cause extra stress on 5th gear. All depends if it was laboured in the gears and working too hard.

Here is a picture of a 6 speed from a Commodore with worn spline on the 5/6 gear.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...799494.-2207520000.1379455469.&type=3&theater

once mine is in 5th it is all good. just going into 5th from 4th and back from 5th to 4th. there is no wine or noise just the grinding when changing. it is slowly getting worse over the last 20 thousand k's or so.

i guess you've changed the gearbox oil already? i'd say it's more a syncro problem if it is grinding between gear changes. you could try a different oil and some sort of additive, people have reported good results from the nulon additive. in saying that, that will probably only mask the problem for a while, but if you want to fix it properly you'll need to pull the box and replace the bearings.

Latest posts

Back