3mm Stainless Bashplate Design

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question.
I don't have a bullbar fitted to my D22, how will i go about securing a bash plate the the front? Do i just bolt it to the bottom of the factory bumper?

looks pretty good but in my opinion not good enough.

i have used 5mm steel plate, even then in my opinion 8mm would have been better as i found the 5mm does flex a bit with the cars weight. i used counter sunk bolts so its a smooth belly and no bolt heads to break off and get stuck on, looks way better as well.

The brownbuilt davis protection plates that i have on my D40 have a circle of steel around the bolt heads to protect them from getting hit. Only problem is that i've hit at least ONE rock thats bent the circular steel too close to one of the bolt heads so that i have problem getting a socket on to get the bash plate off for major servicing.

The brownbuilt davis protection plates that i have on my D40 have a circle of steel around the bolt heads to protect them from getting hit. Only problem is that i've hit at least ONE rock thats bent the circular steel too close to one of the bolt heads so that i have problem getting a socket on to get the bash plate off for major servicing.

I was going to use this design around the bolt heads when i detail up some drawings. Positive of this is if the pipe bends in it can be smashed/bent back out, where if the bolts head hit the rock you could have worse problems again. I was planing on using heavy wall pipe/tube around the heads, not thin stuff.

See what i come up with when i start detailing them.

maybe 8mm is a bit heavy, but i still think 3mm is a bit thin but thats my opinion.

I have a question.
I don't have a bullbar fitted to my D22, how will i go about securing a bash plate the the front? Do i just bolt it to the bottom of the factory bumper?

honestly wouldnt have a clue how. Since iv had my nav its never had a bumper. so i dont have the slightest clue of how they attach etc

Hey brains trust,
Might have a crack at this next week. Gonna get it cut and folded (after checking the dimensions under my truck 1st!) and will then put the holes in myself. Might get some pipe welded around the bolts too or possibly the more at risk ones.
What you guys reckon? 3mm or 4mm mild steel, then just paint with a rust protectant type paint? That way easy to touch up when gets damaged.
Thanks for the pics joely.
Cheers, Marcus

No worries Cooper, are you the bloke who was tryin to find one to measure a few months back in WA? Was gonna let you know but couldn't remember who it was. Mines an 05 so wanna get under it and check the measurements and fitment so I'll let you know. Give me a few weeks, I move pretty slow with these things, but I'm getting a plate made up for the tailgate at the moment and I'll get the same bloke to do it.

No worries Cooper, are you the bloke who was tryin to find one to measure a few months back in WA? Was gonna let you know but couldn't remember who it was. Mines an 05 so wanna get under it and check the measurements and fitment so I'll let you know. Give me a few weeks, I move pretty slow with these things, but I'm getting a plate made up for the tailgate at the moment and I'll get the same bloke to do it.

Hey mate, ive already done a 3d model for both transfer and sump guards, just need to find the time to do a 2d drawing of both, then ill post up the plans for everyone to get them made themselves.

Pete

Yeah good work Pete. What do you do for a crust? Do u do any work with concept drawings and new products? I've got something deep in my thoughts that I'm looking into, non car related and wondering how I'd even start to try and design or make it.

Hey mate. Im A mechanical draftsman. We mainly do work for heavy industry, mining, powerstations, papermills. Design all types of stuff really. Company has done work for ford and heaps of other various companies around Aus. We have civil & mechanical engineers also.

I dont usually work from home, but have the software if i want to design something for myself.

PM me some details of your concept if you like and ill see if i can help in anyway, cant promise anything but i might be able to point you in the right direction. Really depends on what is for.

Pete

Yeah no one was willing to have their plates dropped for two weeks. Even asked about 15 people just on the street!

I guess length and angles will change to the bullbar with a lift installed? Going to be upgrading quite soon I hope with some new suspension so see how it goes for you lads.

Pete do you use any cad programs? If not and your 3d model is accurate I can send it to a friend that with one click should be able to make it 2d layout

Yeah no one was willing to have their plates dropped for two weeks. Even asked about 15 people just on the street!

I guess length and angles will change to the bullbar with a lift installed? Going to be upgrading quite soon I hope with some new suspension so see how it goes for you lads.

Pete do you use any cad programs? If not and your 3d model is accurate I can send it to a friend that with one click should be able to make it 2d layout

Yeah mate. AutoCAD and Autodesk Inventor. The models are 3d Inventor files, take stuff all to convert them into 2d detail drawings, just need to find the time at work.

I started them at work on the latest release Inventor, unfortunately you cant go back to an older version, like i have at home so will need to finish them at work when i get time.

They are accurate, i spent a few hours measuring and hand sketching them before i installed them. The only thing i didnt pick up is how they attached to the Ute. Will put a basic parts list on the drawing for bolts, nuts etc, figured people can work that part out or come up with better methods.

Heres siome pics;

Attachments

• Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Transfer.jpg
    Transfer.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 103
Pete, awesome drawings. However what attracted me to this thread was the simplicity of what joely drew. It only needs 1 cut and 4 folds and with bolts etc will be less than $100. For those with the know how, yours would be perfect for them to take on themselves but I think my steel guy would want a bit mote to do the extract work... I'll ask him...

Pete, awesome drawings. However what attracted me to this thread was the simplicity of what joely drew. It only needs 1 cut and 4 folds and with bolts etc will be less than $100. For those with the know how, yours would be perfect for them to take on themselves but I think my steel guy would want a bit mote to do the extract work... I'll ask him...

Hey,

Noworries. Joely's would be a little easier to make. Mine are based of the TJM bash plates. Once i detail them up with a flat panel drawing, they wont be very hard to make. When done you will be able to take the drawings to you steel guy and get a quote anyhow.

I did the drawings so when i bash the shit out of my TJM plates i can get another made for less then what TJM ask hopefully.

Hey Pete,

Have you got mounting holes ect for the tjm set? You saved me alot of time trying to get someone to lend me theirs to draw up! Are there any differences for 05 to 06? Have you got a lift or just new shocks also.

If you have no lift, would you be able to check that if a lift occurs would the front of the plate need to change or is there no bolting needed for that section?

Im very keen to make a set up, very keen as I have no plates at all anymore!

Hey Pete,

Have you got mounting holes ect for the tjm set? You saved me alot of time trying to get someone to lend me theirs to draw up! Are there any differences for 05 to 06? Have you got a lift or just new shocks also.

If you have no lift, would you be able to check that if a lift occurs would the front of the plate need to change or is there no bolting needed for that section?

Im very keen to make a set up, very keen as I have no plates at all anymore!

Hey mate, The mounting holes are the same as the TJM ones, no problems there. When you install them you actually get a little play with the holes when mounting anyway, and they are slotted to allow a bit more adjustment.

I would say no, there is no difference between 05 and 06 model, you shouldn't have any problems there.

I don't have a lift, but i know a few other guys on here with the same TJM plates that do have a lift. You wont have any problems if you have a lift. The TJM plates only bolt to the chassis, so lift wont effect anything.

So you will be good to go as soon as i get these drawings done. Only thing you will have to work out is how to bolt them to your Nav, as i forgot to sketch up the "nut on a plate" and bolt packer lengths. Ill list all the bolts and washers you will need though.

Pete

Latest posts

Back