3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this mod tonight and I also believe it actually makes a difference to smoother running; no flat spot, and a bit more oomph down low.

I'm in the "why didn't I do this ages ago" camp!

KB

I did this mod tonight and I also believe it actually makes a difference to smoother running; no flat spot, and a bit more oomph down low.

I'm in the "why didn't I do this ages ago" camp!

KB

Im a convert too! Add to that a 2 1/2" exhaust and damn!!! Now just got to clean up all the gunk in the manifold and do the happy dance! :rambo:

just did the EGR mod and it's a lot quieter, can i just leave the swirl valve solenoid plugged in?

Question: can you disable the swirl control thingy (unplugging brown connector thing) without doing the EGR block mod straight away?

Cheers, Jarryd

i would not unplug the swirl valve if egr is not blocked off. it actually helps with mixing the egr and air.
however you can do the butterfly mod without blocking the egr. disabling the egr butterfly will reduce the amount of egr and get rid of the losses caused by the butterfly.
some of the overseas models don't have egr butterfly but they still have egr and swirl valve.

Towing b4 & after EGR Mod... what should I notice?

Guys....

Just after some comments here from people that do some heavy towing (ie: Caravans, etc) with their D22's.
When u did the mod, was the towing ability improved, or not improved, or worse? I've done the mod a few mths ago but I've never really done any towing with it b4.

The Reason I ask is I took our 17" van (probably weighs loaded around 2T) away for the 1st time with the Nav over the weekend. I've never towed the van b4 so I can't compare with anything but I was surprised at the poor take off ability of the Nav on any sort of slope.
I was wondering if was a result of the poor gearing of the Navara's (high 1st gear) or whether doing the EGR mod has effected the towing in some way...

I've only ever towed our van with Auto's b4 (our Prado 150s & 100s b4 that) so it's a bit hard to compare. What are peoples experiences in towing b4 EGR mod compared to after EGR mod?

What happens if u just do the blanking plate and nothing else ??

(PS: Mines chipped so it usually goes quite well..... with nothing behind it)

the fact you could even take off with that kind of weight in high range is surprising, most need low range.

RobM, the difference between before & after an EGR mod is marginal in best - you may not notice the slight power rise, or economy improvement, mostly because there's not a lot of EGR going in anyway. EGR is only active in the mid-range and what you SHOULD notice is a reduction in smoke output. Over time, your intake will be slightly less dirty - but you still have both exhaust gas and engine oil entering the intake courtesy of the PCV - the best you can do (legally) is fit a catch can. Even with that, you won't get a dramatic rise in power.

Thanks Tony for that..... I do already have a catch can installed so hopefully the engine will remain nice clean....
I was just a little disappointed in its towing ability & I thought the EGR mod may have had a effect..... but it may just down to the poor gearing in 1st gear

RobM, the difference between before & after an EGR mod is marginal in best - you may not notice the slight power rise, or economy improvement, mostly because there's not a lot of EGR going in anyway. EGR is only active in the mid-range and what you SHOULD notice is a reduction in smoke output. Over time, your intake will be slightly less dirty - but you still have both exhaust gas and engine oil entering the intake courtesy of the PCV - the best you can do (legally) is fit a catch can. Even with that, you won't get a dramatic rise in power.

Did my EGR mod with my ZD30 and hit up some tracks over the long weekend in Vic and just got back. Makes a fair, noticeable difference in low range :)

rob macca, have you got 265/75's or 265/70's I ask because when I bought my 3.0 after selling my 2.5 one the second day of owning it I put 265/75's after which it became a slug.

rob macca, have you got 265/75's or 265/70's I ask because when I bought my 3.0 after selling my 2.5 one the second day of owning it I put 265/75's after which it became a slug.

That's the thing.... I've still got the original size tyres fitted - 255/70/16 for a 2002 ZD30 model. I reckon I'd be in real trouble with 265/75/16 fitted.... might have to run 2 sets :wink:

With the EGR mod done, when I'm decelerating in second gear and it reaches about 1,700 rpm and lower I can hear this like creaking or cracking sort of noise under the hood its quite faint but I noticed it... any clues guys? Cheers

could be the swirl valve closing, if you havn't disabled it.
maybe injection noise or parts cooling down. fuel is turned off under deceleration and with no egr and no egr butterfly it will cool down fairly quickly.

I am sure I can hear a similar noise under deceleration, like a couple of nuts rolling around at the back of the engine, its probably nothing and just the tappets or something.

could be the swirl valve closing, if you havn't disabled it.
maybe injection noise or parts cooling down. fuel is turned off under deceleration and with no egr and no egr butterfly it will cool down fairly quickly.

Swirl valve, is that the one where you simply just unplug the brown/red connector?

I am sure I can hear a similar noise under deceleration, like a couple of nuts rolling around at the back of the engine, its probably nothing and just the tappets or something.

Ahh that's alright then, glad I'm not the only one! And yeah that's what I was thinking, I mean the engine is running normal and stuff so I'm guessing it's nothing serious! I'm very conscious of funny noises under my bonnet after doing a big end bearing.. Very paranoid haha :p

EGR and tires

That's the thing.... I've still got the original size tyres fitted - 255/70/16 for a 2002 ZD30 model. I reckon I'd be in real trouble with 265/75/16 fitted.... might have to run 2 sets :wink:
I run R16/245/70s and have no trouble, just dump the clutch and go. the ute still rides good to for the weight.
I found the egr/swirl valve mod good for towing, the turbo cuts in sooner and helps with pick up if in traffic and the fuel economy picked up.
Hope this helps abit

Latest posts

Back