ZD30 Turbo and Engine Problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo whistle is normally a split hose or loose clamp between the turbo and intake manifold.
Could also be an exhaust leak, with those sort of kms the EGR pipe that runs from the end of the exhaust manifold around the back of the engine has been known to crack.

Thanks mate, what it was, a bolt had just rattled out of the manifold. Phew I was happy when we found that!!
Next question, where would be my best bet at finding a 1 off bolt? Wreckers? A bolt and nut store (there are a couple around me)?

Last edited:
A bolt shop would be the best place, Repco maybe? Tell them its an exhaust bolt they're probably high tensile.

Question fellas, 4WD actions stated that our ZD30 engine has under engineered pistons, is that true?

Id say they are associating problems with the Patrol zd30 with the navara. Im pretty sure some of the patrols had problems with pistons, dont recall many reports of Navara's with that problem.

What else did they say?

Last edited:
Correlation doesn't equal causation. In my opinion the piston structure probably isn't the main determinant for damage, the damage occurred due to an indirect factor being the miss-communication between Air sensors/Turbo/ECU from a relatively poor setup (other factors also had a small contribution). This lead to common piston damage..... hence this "poor piston design" statement.
It may be well possible that the pistons weren't designed to handle large disturbances including high EGT's, however the problem lies in the communication between engine systems -like i said indirect.
this same problem could well occur to any other car with the same setup given the right situation.
Hence the mis-informed people correlating the zd30 navara setup with the patrol setup... same engine name must mean same design righttttt.....?? :/

I could be right of topic but... my 5 cents.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has had piston problems?
On the patrol forum there are shit loads but I have not seen any here.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has had piston problems?
On the patrol forum there are shit loads but I have not seen any here.

heard of a few mostly pre 03 models.
navara is not to bad for it due to the lower power and different control system.

Id say they are associating problems with the Patrol zd30 with the navara. Im pretty sure some of the patrols had problems with pistons, dont recall many reports of Navara's with that problem.

What else did they say?

Pretty much that's all they said.. Like it went something along the lines of "be wary when purchasing the 3L due to their under-engineered pistons" I'll go home tonight, find the magazine and quote what the little article said word for word.

Hi Guys , bloody excellent forum by the way,
I am hoping for a bit of what next to try advice,
started several months ago,
1 towing big trailer engine would loose power and struggle going up hills,
changed neutral switch and problem changed too loosing power a couple of times ie foot flat down and struggling to make 100 kmh no trailer and would stay at that speed and then after a few minutes it would return to normal.
2 have now carried out EGR mod blank, hoses and oil catch can mod and it is worse.
has anyone heard of the turbo operating intermittently like that or could the variable vanes be jamming
Ute is a 2005 3 litre str with just over 200 k's kms.
I felt the turbo inlet and there was a slight wobble but not enough to touch the sides, there was a bit of oil sitting at the bottom of the inlet, and have checked the new neutral switch with the gear shift test.
it is now intermittently idling between 750 and 1200
Thanks in advance

Thanks Tweake, have changed fuel and air filter with genuine items, it runs well when cold and after maybe 20 mins starts surging intermitantly, I am leaning to a turbo change.

Dave was having problems with his not long ago that turned out to be poor earthing. Could be that.

Do you have a chip fitted?

If you let it idle for 10 minutes that will reset the throttle position sensor and you should get the normal idle revs back.

Thanks guys, I have no chip fitted and have cleaned the battery terminals, I do have an aftermarket cruise control fitted that could be playing up, will clean a few plugs before I invest in o/hauling my turbo. Is it easy to look at the variable fins in the turbo and what would be the process. Cheers

im pritty sure u dont have variable fines only the zd30's in the patrols have them. u have just a normal turbo in the d22s. corect me if im wrong

Hi Guys , bloody excellent forum by the way,
I am hoping for a bit of what next to try advice,
started several months ago,
1 towing big trailer engine would loose power and struggle going up hills,
changed neutral switch and problem changed too loosing power a couple of times ie foot flat down and struggling to make 100 kmh no trailer and would stay at that speed and then after a few minutes it would return to normal.
2 have now carried out EGR mod blank, hoses and oil catch can mod and it is worse.
has anyone heard of the turbo operating intermittently like that or could the variable vanes be jamming
Ute is a 2005 3 litre str with just over 200 k's kms.
I felt the turbo inlet and there was a slight wobble but not enough to touch the sides, there was a bit of oil sitting at the bottom of the inlet, and have checked the new neutral switch with the gear shift test.
it is now intermittently idling between 750 and 1200
Thanks in advance

A friend of mine recently had his turbo maintained (ie new billett wheel fitted) and while they did that they also blocked off the EGR. When he got the car back and tried towing he said it was worse. HE took the car back to the mechanics and they simply reversed the EGR mod & I believe it's back to its normal ability. I haven't spoken to him regarding it since then...... but that probably doesn't help u though.....

The Navara ZD30s dont have the variable vane turbo. Your problem sounds more likely to be something electrical.

there is an actuator looking device on top of the turbo with a solid pipe heading back internally to he turbo side, I assumed it was a variable type. i can post a photo
Cheers

thats just the wastegate. its a normal type turbo. the patrol and terrano have the variable turbo.

have you checked for air in the fuel?

Latest posts

Back