Worth fixing?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sypher

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a large Plasma screen TV which we think our son has thrown a toy at. When it is on, there is still sound and the outer glass screen is fine, but there looks to be a crack that looks like a rock has hit a windscreen on the colour screen underneath. It only shows when the TV is turned on.

I am guessing but could be the picture tube/screen has been cracked and therefore doesnt show any picture.

Does anybody know a rough figure of how much it would cost to fix? Or should I be throwing it away?

Thanks Shaun

Given the price of large plasmas these days I'd turf it. 42" plasmas can be brought for under $1000 these days and I'd reckon most repair places would ask for atleast half that to fix it. If you knew someone in the trade that would fix it for parts only it might be a little more viable but I'd tend to think it's not going to be that cheap. You'd probably also have to take into account the brand name, some charge more for "known" or leading brands and others will tell you that "unknown" brands cost more because they are harder to get parts for but neither is entirely true given that so many generic parts are used between makers these days.

Yeah, Krafty is spot on, also there has been big improvements in picture quality even in the last six months and internet , blue ray add ons etc.
Buy a new one, it may be insurable also ?

Get a quote.....

Should be able to get at least $20k for a child these days.

Why sell the whole kid, I reckon you could get $10k for a kidney and still have the kid to look after you in old age ?:sad::sad:

I paid $4000 for a new one today as I was under the same impression. The broken one is a samsung. I didnt want to take it for a quote as they generally hit you just to look at it. I am getting a bit sick of buying TVs. This is the fourth plasma/LCD in the last four years. Obviously they dont make them like they used to.

As for the boy......Im open to offers!

ARGH High Def makes TV people so god damn ugly I hate it. Advancements or not a tv is still just something to kill time paying $4k for it to me is wasted money especially given their expect life span. I priced a no name 42 from my suppliers the other day and they were well under $1000 wholesale, I could replace 5 of my no name tv's for the same price as you've just spent and even if they only lasted 12 months I'd still have 5 years worth of tv viewing for $4K.

Buy a new TV,
and sell the broken one, repairers buy them for spares.
Generally the screens last and the PCB's inside dont,
and since yours will be fine there is some value in you selling it for parts.

Samsung is a not a brand Ill go out of my way to buy anymore.

Panasonic all the way, pricey but is awesome quality.

Dave.

Extended warranty is your friend if you are going through a TV a year, keeping in mind it will not cover damage caused by something hitting it. I sell shit loads of TV's at work and can tell you that no one who has ever purchased an extended warranty has regretted it. I love it when you recognize someone when they come into the store with a problem because there camera has died or there TV has stopped working and they are out of warranty and the 1st question is did you purchase the extended warranty??? Allot of people try the old, ow I only got this a few months ago but I have lost my receipt, can you just swap it over for me. Then you look up on the system and see that they purchased it like 18months ago. It is true that company's make money from things like extended warranties, but I don't sell them to make more money,(I don't any way as I am on a salary) but shops make money on everything we sell, the main reason I sell extended warranties is to make sure the customer doesn't have to spend any more money on there purchase, you can imagine how you would feel if you purchased a $5000Sony Bravia, and in 13 months time it stops working. As everyone else said just bin it as 80% of the price of the TV is the screen.

Be worth looking into whether your contents insurance covers this. I bought an LG HD 42" plasma about 12 months ago for about $1250, for what it's worth.

Equipt, can you mention the store? I'd prefer to buy from someone I know, so will keep you in mind when i need something next time. Understand if you don't want to, maybe just a subtle hint if you prefer. Seen your ute a couple of times in the multi storey car park.

Latest posts

Back