Which uhf

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyoman

Reaction score
Would appreciate advice re purchase of UHF.
Deciding between GME 3440 and Uniden 7760.
A dealer was trying to convince me to opt for the uniden as it has a speaker mike.
What do you think of units with function buttons on mike rather than on face of unit . Pros and cons ?
Yoyoman

Personally I'm waiting until the 80 channel units are up and running.

Then ... I think I'd rather have a light-weight mike. I don't spend all my time flicking from one channel to the other, but I do spend some time talking. Depends what you want out of it, I guess.

I also think that having that much junk in the mike just means I've got that much more expense when I drop the mike because I need both hands and the mike breaks.

Each to their own though.

I agree with having controls in the mic, I'd rather have it all in the base unit. You will find most of the current GME UHF are listed as "80 Channel Ready" as are some Uniden as well, needing a simple manufacturers code to unlock when the extra channels come on line. I'm still searching for our first one, will probably be a GME 3220, we only need basic features.

The above radio's are already 80 channel jobs so thats no worries. Between the two i would opt for the GME over Uniden, just seem to be much better quality.

Mitch

I would go the UH7700NB if you choose a Uniden, or if GME, either the TX3100 or TX4600.
There's no need to worry about quality over the the two brands, just pick the one you like better.

Thanks for your replies and advice so far. Have been convinced to go for a unit without function buttons on mike.
Prestige Communications have good prices on Gmetx3100 and Uniden 7700Nb.
The Uniden comes bundled with a 1 watt handheld which could be useful for arguing with my wife when reversing the caravan.
It also seems to have a lot of auto functions. Would this be an advantage for a novice user.
Interested in you thoughts.
Also interested in advice re. Where to position unit in D40 so cord doesn't drive me crazy

Bit late but;

I just bought the Uniden 7760. Seems good to me. Only had it in a few weeks though and dont have much experience.

Choose this one as i knew i would install it behind the dash somewhere, so wanted the speaker in the mike to hear better and controls on the handpiece.

I have some pics on here of how i installed it somewhere. Got it setup so once i unplug the handpiece you dont even know i have a UHF in the car. All is hidden.

Suits my needs. Heres a link showing how i installed mine. Mines a D22 though but might help, its down the bottom.

http://www.navara.asia/members-rides/8068-petes-d22.html

Pete

Last edited:
Pete,

How heavy is the mike, and how much does it cost to replace if I drop it and smash it against the brake pedal in my haste to stop?

Not heavy enough for me to notice, haven't even thought about its weight until you mentioned it, and I'm not a big guy at all..haha. I only use mine when up the bush driving with mates, so dont hold onto it for long periods like some may do.

Got no idea about price to replace it mate. Didn't even consider that when buying. If i happen to smash it i will deal with that then. The unit was $350 from prestige, so under $350?

Reasons i went with that unit is its size, dual speakers, came with extension lead, and controls are in the hand piece. I didn't want to give up the storage under my cd player with a UHF.

Each to their own though.

Pete

Last edited:
I got my Uniden remote mic (RM-100) for 50 bucks new on ebay with extension lead. I haven't seen them for sale for a while though. They are a good mic, allowing to hide the main unit away.

Latest posts

Back