What makes a good UHF

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YBOD

Reaction score
Simple question as the title suggests, what makes a good UHF. I sold my old UhF with my Patrol when I bought the Navara and this was in the truck when I bought it.

So I am now looking at getting a new UHF and wondering what makes a good one. There are the obvious big brands (gme, uniden, oricom) which are all around the same price and then the likes of Jayco have there own which are usually a reasonable bit cheaper.

I'm after something to fit in the nav for general use for off road trips with mates etc. as well as eventual touring.

At the end of the day what are the features I should look for and what should I avoid?

I'm also looking at getting a UHF as we only have hand helds which are good but I want to improve on these. I've found that most are 5watt and won't get anything lower, 80 channel is the key these days, size of unit is a big one as they vary,(dad has the remote unit under the dash and has buttons/controls on the mic piece) so I think I'll be getting an oricom. Small unit, nothing over the top, easy/simple.
Checks all the boxes for me. Personal preference I guess...
Anyone else have any pointers, or tips...?

Quality = fit for your purposes

Price, warranty, support either local or O/S, support local businesses?

you have some decisions to make

I've got a gme 3540 in mine the unit itself is mounted against the radio area kinda where your knee is on clutch leg. Plenty loud enough in the navara with its speaker 80 channel. Coupled with a good antenna it's got plenty of good range. Ill only ever buy gme I broke a plastic tab because I'm rough phoned them up and one was sent out that day for nothing. Also Australian made and couple of year warranties.

Just get the biggest aerial possible thats the key 3mtrs high minimum and if you run two of them but only hook one up they seem to work better :haha::shout::shout::ha:

I had presumed that aerial was more important that the radio unit itself in terms of range and clarity of reception (although I could of course be wrong) although I'm a bit dubious of the benefits of two aerials qqc ;0p

Thinking of getting as small a unit as possible so it can be slotted in easy around the $180-200 unless I can get one second had and then spend my money on a decent aerial

For the average weekend driver Electrophone or Uniden will do fine, but after 30 years around communications gear I have to say it's pretty hard to beat Icom.

If you want the best and are prepared to pay a bit more then go Icom you won't regret it.

i love the gme units i have owned over the years and did not like uniden. Gme are tough and australian and have a great warranty. check out prestige communications on the net (in WA). They have great prices and excellent service. Definitely go 5 watts and 80 channel. The rest is up to you!

Getting the 'biggest antenna you can buy, at least 3 metres' is ok for flat, open country but is not as good in mountains or in the city. A 3 metre antenna MAY be too tall. If the antenna is 9db, the reception pattern is long and 'squashed' making it great for flat, open country. A 2db antenna has a large 'round' reception pattern, better for hilly stuff and around the city where there are buildings to cut down line-of-sight reception.
A good example of this is the GME AE409L. It comes with interchangable lengths. One is 6db, the other is 9db. Even with the 9db attached the whole thing is only about 600mm long and costs about $110.00 with cable and base ready to install.
Personally, I have a GME TX3420 radio and a GME AE4705 antenna. These antennas are also interchangable with other db sizes but you have to buy them seperately.
Hope this helps, Cheers.

Has anyone got or seen the Oricom units...?

Theyre newer on the market and trying to make their make by the look of it.
I was looking at a small unit of theirs- UHF 300, with a uniden AT870 antenna from ebay for around $200. Seems pretty good for the $.

Weve got their handhelds and seem ok.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated as i want to pick one up asap.
Zanick.

A good mate bought a brand new Hilux, then put an Oricom UHF in it. Not sure of the model but it was the one with the controls on the mic. Took the truck up to the Cape, when he came back he junked the radio. Said it was crap. Sound quality was very poor, as was reception. I also know another guy who said the same about their handhelds. You really do get what you pay for in this case.
Go for an Icom or GME, with the GME antenna.
Cheers.

Yeah right....! Cheers for that! Will have to keep looking around by the sound of it!
Saw them and the price and thought i might be in luck. I understand price for quality but thought i might get away with it for the amount it would get used.
Do you know if he had a decent antenna for it? I thought a similar thing re: reception but thought i might just upgrade the antenna?
Thanks!

I think that depends on the model too, I have the uhf300 mentioned above and it seems fine to me. The volume isn't incredible, but its a small unit and it also has a port for an external speaker. I'd say go for it, the quality of them has improved a lot from when they were first released.

Righteo then. That sounds great. Cheers bods! What antenna do you have? I saw a 3 different ones included in the eBay ones, but can just as easily got something different. Between 3-9 db sounds like the go I think. Good all rounder...?!
Where abouts have you got yours mounted?
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back