What Euro Spec?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad74

Reaction score
I'm looking for EGR blanking plates, every time I enquire about which one I need they just ask what Euro Spec my car is. I have no bloody idea! I drive an '07 STX diesel, manual trans, Spain built. Any help?

Best way would be to take off the engine cover, find the egr pipe. Un-nut the two bolts either side, remove the pipe and check the metal spacer/gasket in there..
After you have the shape jump onto ebay and search egr blank - find your shape and itll more likely than not tell you also the euro spec as the description

Best way would be to take off the engine cover, find the egr pipe. Un-nut the two bolts either side, remove the pipe and check the metal spacer/gasket in there..
After you have the shape jump onto ebay and search egr blank - find your shape and itll more likely than not tell you also the euro spec as the description
Yeah I've unbolted it but it doesn't come far enough apart to get a good look at the shape, taking the gasket out is a good idea though, didn't even think of that.

i took the gasket out and used it as a template and made one out of a piece of tin sheet. i cut mine from a panel of a washing machine, it's thin and strong, so you can hardly see it. 15mins of easy work if you have tin snips and a drill!

Last edited:
i took the gasket out and used it as a template and made one out of a piece of tin sheet. i cut mine from a panel of a washing machine, it's thin and strong, so you can hardly see it. 15mins of easy work if you have tin snips and a drill!

My question to this is what sort of temperature does the block see?

i must have used something a little thicker at 1mm!
heat wouldn't be a problem, it's at the front of the engine and will be the first to catch air from the radiator fan. you can see it next to the gasket!
121shl2.jpg

i must have used something a little thicker at 1mm!
heat wouldn't be a problem, it's at the front of the engine and will be the first to catch air from the radiator fan.

I understand what you saying about it catching the air but being exhaust gas, regardless of how much air it catches, would still be super hot right? I'm just asking out of curiosity. Would the internals of the blank get to 4, 5, 600 ° ( whatever the exhaust temp is)
Not doubting what your saying is correct or having a dig at you either mate :smile:

I understand what you saying about it catching the air but being exhaust gas, regardless of how much air it catches, would still be super hot right? I'm just asking out of curiosity. Would the internals of the blank get to 4, 5, 600 ° ( whatever the exhaust temp is)
Not doubting what your saying is correct or having a dig at you either mate :smile:
Yes that's correct. The plate will be seeing the same temps as the rest of the exhaust manifold. Although there won't be a great deal of pressure on it as most of the exhaust will simply escape through the turbine side of the turbo...

Yes that's correct. The plate will be seeing the same temps as the rest of the exhaust manifold. Although there won't be a great deal of pressure on it as most of the exhaust will simply escape through the turbine side of the turbo...

Okay mate, in saying that then, what would be a normal running to extreme temp you think youd be likely to see at this blank?

Okay mate, in saying that then, what would be a normal running to extreme temp you think youd be likely to see at this blank?
Full load uphill you may see around 700c before the turbo. I think other d40 owners have mentioned seeing over 750c pre turbo when caning it up a hill... in my d22 i used 2mm stainless from memory. If you want to make a plate yourself, people have recommended the little stainless no junk mail signs you can buy at bunnings for being a near perfect size...

The plate shouldn't see much heat at all if there's a blanking plate in the way. If there's no gas flow, there's no heat flow. There'll be a little heat from induction but that'll be absorbed by the EGR cooler at the front (which will heat the pipe to around 90C anyway).

You could use Aluminium and get away with it. I recommend stainless steel of 1mm or more (1.2-1.6mm is perfect, just hard to cut) but it's hardly necessary. Eric's not going to have a problem with his, the heat just won't get near it.

Although thinking about it, the paint might one day start flaking off ... I wouldn't want that entering the combustion chamber especially once it's inside it could melt and adhere to something (like a valve seat). Glazed paints (or "enamel" on steel) are prone to cracking under heating/cooling (even with coffee/tea at ambient to 60C, and this sucker's going to hit 90C). I'd remove all surface treatments, add the Permatex Ultra Blue and forget about it for the life of the car.

I think mine's a Euro 4 and shoudn't be different to yours. Look under the black plastic engine cover. If your camshaft cover is black it's Euro 4. If it's silver, it's Euro 3.

Thanks Bods, I've had mine blocked since new but i was thinking of taking them out and having a look to see how they were handling it. Also thought to see if i could completely remove the pipe and just blank the in/out as ibe just blanked the pipe and had it reinstalled

I helped a mate take some rubbish to the tip last weekend. He just remade all his garage work station. The old tops where 3 or 4 mm stainless. 2 sheets at about 3.5m x 1m. Heaps of grinder scrapes and such but heaps of usable material left. I was gonna keep one but had no where to put it

Just talking to a mate aswell Tony, he wants to do his. He asked if a Galvanized peice of sheet would work. I wasnt sure but reading your response is be likely to say yes - right? Gal temps recommend to be under 200°c to avoid peeling?

Galvanising is just zinc electroplating and zinc melts at a little over 400C. I wouldn't worry about it melting, but I'd worry about the temperature variations causing it to flake off. It'll melt once it's inside the combustion chamber and that won't be pretty.

Nah, not going to leave them out, just been saying to myself I'll check them one day soon, minor service if you will. See its sealed okay still and such.
How come? Thought about doing yours yet?

Yeah mate doing mine shortly being a 2012 spain built St unsure of which to buy :(

Latest posts

Back