What brand of Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Around the city I've been using BP Diesel with no problems in my old 2003 D22.
I've just come back from a trip to Meekatharra and found the old girl doesn't particularly like Caltex vortex diesel.
Anyone found ya vehicle prefers one brand of fuel over another.
I have read that BP diesel has more sulphur in it, I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.
cheers
Oldie

I only use caltex vortex.. just cause?
May be off topic, my last ute- v8 commodore- same thing only caltex but i got caught out one night and had to use shell. $50 of the top quality stuff and she ran better than ever? Freak occurrence on a cool moonless night or just a different blend

Can confirm exactly this. Always runs better on BP or Mobil. Okay on Caltex. Crap on Shell. Wouldn't Use another "Budget" diesel. (United) I try stick to BP Ultimate diesel.

Nathan

The current word about fuels in Australia goes like this.

Shell - decent fuel and has a cetane number of 49 in Australia. It's pure dinosaur.

Mobil (from Mobil) - same as Shell. Mobil sells both dinosaur and biodiesel but I haven't heard of any pure biodiesel sold to the general public.

Caltex - 51 cetane, so a little better than Shell. Has detergents and possibly anti-foaming agent added. Caltex will (depending on area, availability etc) mix up to 5% biodiesel. I heard somewhere that it's typically around 2% on average but might sometimes be as high as 5%.

BP has two flavours: Diesel and "Ultimate Diesel". The former is 51 cetane with detergents and anti-foaming agent. The latter is 55 cetane with detergents and anti-foaming agents. It's also pure dinosaur.

Others (7-Eleven, United, Metro, Liberty etc) are usually supplied by Mobil but there's a rumour (and this one can't easily be proven) that the tanker drivers mix it at up to 20% biodiesel before delivery. I'm not sure about Gull.

All diesel fuels in Australia have to be "ULS" (Ultra Low Sulphur) with less than 10 ppm of sulphur. This is not a cheap process - removing more of the sulphur makes the fuel more expensive. There is NO sulphur in biodiesel though - and commercially produced biodiesel is supposed to have a higher cetane number than dinosaur. Some experiences with biodiesel attribute poor economy and performance to it, although my own experience with a mix of fuel obtained at Kings Creek Station (Mobil products, likely to have 20% bio in it) was far more positive.

Personally I use BP Ultimate Diesel whenever possible. If that's unavailable (BP have a site locator to help find one) I will use Caltex, then ordinary BP and then Shell. Genuine Mobil service stations are few and far between these days - the last time I went through Apollo Bay I refuelled at the Mobil and had no problem with it.

I actually don't have anything against biodiesel. Commercially produced stuff is fine. It's the home-baked stuff that could be an issue, especially if it's just make from used cooking oils. The issue isn't that it WILL cause damage, but if your mate gives you 80L of biodiesel that just happens to cause an issue with your injector pump, the chances of recovering the $4K plus labour to replace it are small. If a tankful of Liberty diesel toasts your pump at least you have a chance of getting them to pay for the repairs.

Oh, keep your fuel receipts. I have almost ALL of mine, with km (odometer and trip meter) written on them from the day I bought my car.

being the owner of a first diesel powered vehicle [ prevoius all petrol ] with 12k on the clock now i have only filled up with Caltex Diesel Fuel as this is my closest pump station. if i had to re fill i would use another brand of the high end rated diesel fuels available from well known named stations such as; BP / Shell / Mobil. its definetly not worth the expensive risk of using a cheaper no name brand of diesel fuel and really why should you use a cheap fuel , these diesel engines don,t use much atall compared to the petrol jobs i have owned. yes good fuel and clean filters.

Latest posts

Back