Weird Overheaing problem?? D40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylebarrow

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a Navara D40 2007 2.5TDI ...

Since i bought it about 2 years ago, it has been nothing but PROBLEMS! 2 Clutches in 9 months!!

Only 2 weeks ago the water pump went in it... I replaced it all and its been fine until yesterday when i was driving home from ork and its over heated again...

Ive Pressure tested .. Its fine
Ive Put in a new water pump.
There is NO leaks..

When Car is at idle... Radiator full, its completly fine, itll run perect...
Soon as its driven at boost, the car begins to overheat, the radiator overflow is getting completly pressurised and literally blasting the water out overflow pipe... draining whole radiator in minutes???

Could it be thermostat??

Welcome to the forum!

If the thermostat is stuck in the closed position, yes it could be a problem. I'd wonder if the radiator cores were blocked up. I'd also wonder if the head gasket was intact or the head wasn't cracked. There could also be an issue with boost pressure getting into the water cooling line (not sure how, but a crack in the turbo housing could conceivably do this).

The first thing I'd do is get someone to pressure-test the radiator and check the cap to make sure the spring has not degraded to the point where it's opening and releasing coolant to the overflow tank at normal pressures. Then I'd have the coolant tested to see if there's any exhaust gas contamination (means a head gasket/cracked head).

Clutches have been a problem with not only the D40 but many other recent utes - it's the dual mass flywheel, which doesn't absorb or dissipate heat like the DMFs do. The pressure plate can also fail from the excessive heat. Converting to a single mass flywheel (which requires proper balancing of the flywheel/pressure plate before these are installed) is the only way to fix it.

Latest posts

Back