Water in Transmission

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infinium

Reaction score
Hello, I found out water made its way into the transmission. I started to notice it wasn't accelerating as fast and it made a slight noise every now and then when it would shift into 3rd and 4th gear. I had the ATF flushed and theres still a slight delay in acceleration. It shifts constantly though at the shift points, it just makes a slight subtle gurgling sound every now anf then and it seems like the vibration increased slightly. Any ideas on a fix before I have it serviced? It got this way due to a dealership technician that messed up and they're covering everything so they don't have to take responsibility, only messed up coz I didnt video the work.

The water could have damaged the valve body which will affect how it shifts and could have damaged the torque converter which will induce a vibration.

Fixing it: the best way is to rip out the torque converter and valve body and replace them with new, here in Australia you're looking at around $3800 plus labour.

An alternative is to seek an identical box from a wrecker and fit that. There are some parts of a car that are unlikely to be the cause of a car becoming a wreck and the gearbox is one of them, so I'd have little fear in buying one and fitting it - I say this with certainty, because that's precisely what I did in my car.

Thanks @Old.Tony, I'll lool into it. I was guessing it might be the torque converter, not on experience but what Ive been researching, the unit shifts ok at the exact rpm and speed but it makes a gurgling sound every now and then, sometimes it runs with no sound and all just the delayed acceleration. Are there any good aftermarket torque converters? It has less than 40K on it and I don't trust the dealerships after this fiasco.

Thanks @Old.Tony, I'll lool into it. I was guessing it might be the torque converter, not on experience but what Ive been researching, the unit shifts ok at the exact rpm and speed but it makes a gurgling sound every now and then, sometimes it runs with no sound and all just the delayed acceleration. Are there any good aftermarket torque converters? It has less than 40K on it and I don't trust the dealerships after this fiasco.

In Australia I'd recommend you to call and talk with the guys at Wholesale Automatics in Victoria, who sell a torque converter with a lower stall speed (will "bite" earlier, giving a little better acceleration and can reduce fuel consumption).

However, I don't know anyone in the Phillipines who does them.

You could visit their web site and see if you can find what you need, or call them on +61-3-9762-8004

https://automatictransmission.com.au

Did you experience the same symptoms @Old.Tony It seems to shift fine from fifth gear onwards, it just has a slight gurgling sound and very subtle vibration when shifting to 3nd and 4th gear and the delayed acceleration early on. That's the hard part over here, finding a good mechanic, specially ones that deal with transmissions and related things. Bodywork there are a lot of shops, decent mechanics are a different story. I'll check that place to see what options they have.

I've not heard the gurgling in mine. It's possible there's something caught in one of the tubes or pipes or other narrow passages in there. When you had the first lot of oil come out, how did that look? Was there any muck in it? Any gooey or dark sections?

I didn't really get to see too clearly at it @Old.Tony when the dealer checked it. I just saw it had that pink milkshake look. The mechanic noticed it and showed it to me. The sound doesnt happen all the time it's every now and then, enough for it to be noticeable and all. It just happens on the first couple of shift points.

I have a 2011 R51 Pathfinder auto. After purchasing in 2015, with100,000 klms on the clock I had the auto serviced and was advised to by-pass the trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator. I had read about leaks between radiator and trans cooler. My R51 had a rather large aux cooler in place so it was an easy mod. I've now got 310,000 klms, serviced every 50,000 klms with no problems.

Latest posts

Back