Urgent. Is a leaking strut safe to drive with?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooby

Reaction score
Hi, I need some car guru's advice and trust your opinions- Im touring the usa, driving a cheap old $500 car which im prepared to scrap as soon as it starts to cost too much money or in 3 months time (whichever is first). I really dont want to spend much money on it, but one of the front struts is leaking lots of oil. Not too much is noticeable while driving (minor bounce, but nothing dangerous).

Will the wheel fall off within 3 months if I don't replace the strut? Or can you get 3 months of occasional touring (gentle tarmac driving) out of a broken strut?

(It has near new tyres).

Thank you so much in advance!

Handling will be much better and SAFER with a working unit...

is it noisy or is the rod still shiny...no marks or gouges??

personally, I'd swap it....pick up a cheap used unit or even a new one....parts are cheap there....

I probably wouldn't bother if it's just leaking oil. You'll just have no dampening on that corner. However it will affect handling and braking. I would be more concerned how the bearing is in the top of the strut. I have seen them so bad that when the car is jacked up the wheel stays on the ground!
Good luck and have a great trip.

Latest posts

Back