turbo leak

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my-nav

Reaction score
hi guys,

realized few weeks ago the turbo has been leaking oil from the bottom and dripping onto the front diff, has anyone else had a problem with their turbo leaking? thinking of tightening the bolts but don't know if it will fix it.
any ideas?

cheers

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a 3.0L diesel in the garage. It is the turbo, or is it from the PCV? Do you see any oil on the inside of the intake of the turbocharger? Is any of that finding its way past the hose clamp to the outside of the turbo?

It might also be from the oil feed/return lines. While there's no immediate danger in either, you do want to pay attention to both issues.

If it's the first, your turbocharger could be drawing unfiltered air in as well - get the hose clamped up properly. Oil is expected at that point as it's present in the blow-by gas fed out the PCV (it's a hose connecting the top of your camshaft cover to the air intake just in front of the turbocharger). Any oil escaping from there indicates a loose/damaged intake hose and must be rectified.

If it's the oil feed/return lines then they need to be refitted with new seals. Oil is under pressure entering the turbocharger and you don't want to lose too much engine oil which could happen if the leak gets worse.

While you have the intake hose off, with a clean finger give the turbocharger shaft a wiggle then spin it. You should not be able to wiggle it, and it should spin smoothly (it should not feel rough). If it feels rough or wiggles, the bearings are shot, probably due to hot shutdowns. The turbocharger will (in the not too distant future) probably self-destruct.

If it is the ZD30 it could also be the four little allen head bolts at the back of the turbo on the cartridge itself. You will need to remove the heat shield to be able to check them, also i found it easier to cut down an allen key so it will fit in the small gap that 1or 2 of them are in.
I only noticed this after one actually fell out, and when i was replacing it i noticed that was also where the oil was leaking from. Once i replaced the missing one a re-tensioned the other three no more oil leak. So they do come loose as a few people on the forum have found out, defiantly worth checking every once in a while.

hey guys,
thanks for all the info and yeah it is a zd30 engine. having some time off now so i will be able to further look into problem and try what you've all said

cheers

Latest posts

Back