Turbo issue?? DPF issue??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quent85

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light, as of late I have noticed my turbo has been covered in an amount of soot nothing to serious but still covered, has anybody else had this happen? The car has done 86000 kms and is booked into nissan for them to have a look at.

Also the dpf light has been coming in every couple of days for a burn off which it has never done before, I drive it the same amount only difference is it has had it's service done 5000kms ago, I just drove 2000kms with it and never had it come on but now we're driving back to normal it keeps coming on.

Any information would be much appreciated

There's a chance that they put the wrong oil in during the service - it needs to be ultra low ash oil for a DPF-equipped vehicle.

I don't know how your turbo can get covered in soot, are we talking powdery black substance on the outside, or a smooth black liquid on the inside? If it's the powder, then you might have an EGR leak (look for the gold pipe that heads around the front of the motor, there might be a large amount of soot coming from that). If it's the liquid, it's coming from the PCV - they might have overfilled the oil too!

If the exterior of the turbo is covered in soot I expect you have a cracked catalytic convertor. The mounting bolts further down can fall out or break putting too much stress on the elbow pipe between turbo outlet and cat. Grab a hold of the bottom of the cat and see how much free movement is there. It should be solidly mounted.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Currently the car is at nissans getting looked at and the manifold has warped and leaking which is what's causing the dpf problem and soot over the turbo, and they are also talking the turbo has a whine to it so they are looking at replacing that aswel they have cleaned the maf as that was dirty aswel, hopefully should have it back in a few days

Last edited:
Back