Turbo Flutter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt have time to check link i assume you mean dose ? Its achieved by blocking off any bov and change to pod filter or lose airbox. iys basically compressor surge

Noto usually the case with a deisel as they have an open inlet so no sudden loss of flow on a closed throttle.

That wav file was pretty unclear, but the typical cause IMO on these engines would be an overboost situation where the turbo is producing a higher boost pressure than normal and it is more than the compressor side can support.

Without getting too technical, if the pressure ratio (Boost pressure to atmospheric pressure) is too high for the flow rate of the time the compressor will go into surge, the noise of that can vary from a rattle to a thumping noise or worse. My race car can go into surge in some conditions at part throttle and makes a screaming sound when it does, the rest of the time on gearchanges it just sounds like an enraged pidgeon.

On throttle surge at the 28 second mark followed closely by normal compressor surge, which probably sounds a bit like what you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4yg367la4&feature=g-upl

At first I thought it was tappets but there OHC . Then I thought the Dash was loose on the drivers side but now . It is a very loud tapet type noise and if you lisen to the sound file you can here it .

Any way for those hoo did not look at the link I will try to copie and paste the explenation here .

NISSAN NAVARA D40 TURBO FLUTTER:

(This Cheat Sheet is to keep owners of the Nissan D40 abreast of the details concerning the fluttering noise as experienced whilst under moderate load and often after 3rd the 4th gear change.
The attached sound file allows identification of the noise during acceleration.

WAVE FILE: fluter surge noise

The actual flutter noise can be heard at the 6 seconds and 11 seconds points.
Nissan, when confronted with this issue, have told customers the noise is “normal for the vehicle”.
However, it seems Nissan now has a fix for this noise and is what Chip It has suspected for a while.
The noise is caused by the Variable Vane Turbo Control.
If you experience this transient noise contact your Nissan Dealer and demand a fix.)

Hope this helps to explain it .

Last edited:
Noto usually the case with a deisel as they have an open inlet so no sudden loss of flow on a closed throttle.

That wav file was pretty unclear, but the typical cause IMO on these engines would be an overboost situation where the turbo is producing a higher boost pressure than normal and it is more than the compressor side can support.

Without getting too technical, if the pressure ratio (Boost pressure to atmospheric pressure) is too high for the flow rate of the time the compressor will go into surge, the noise of that can vary from a rattle to a thumping noise or worse. My race car can go into surge in some conditions at part throttle and makes a screaming sound when it does, the rest of the time on gearchanges it just sounds like an enraged pidgeon.

On throttle surge at the 28 second mark followed closely by normal compressor surge, which probably sounds a bit like what you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4yg367la4&feature=g-upl

THAT is most definitely what mine is sounding like after i put the chipit on.
Im guessing its not an overly bad thing?

This is nothing like what my car sounds like . It happens under load and its there more often when towing .

ITS NOT A RACE CAR . The sound file from my origenal post sound fine to me so I do not understand why you are saying its something Differante . Or have you not looked at the origenal link .

of course it happens under load, especially in the higher gears, that's where the turbo is working hardest. as the website said, if you are worried take it to nissan and tell them to fix it, either that or deal with it.

it has never been proven that turbo flutter reduces turbo life, and as said above, being a diesel there is no throttle butterfly to snap shut and stall the compressor wheel

I did look at the original link to the chip it site, but at least on my pc speakers at work that wag file was quite unclear.

As per what I posted, you can get compressor surge on throttle, if you are It does want sorting as it is not very good for the turbo. Basically it is an aerodynamic stall of the compressor blades and in means that the load on the blades and shaft and bearings is banging up and down.

I live with it on my race car as I accept that I might blow a turbo or need to rebuild it more often but I would not want a road engine to do it, particularly under load.

I notice yesterday and to day its starting to do it most of the time now not as load but its there . Just with normal driving and iam no lead foot by any means .

Sounds to me like your describing the symptoms of injector rattle. The fact it does it worse while your towing confirms this. This can be from various causes, but the most common would be your air flow meter being dirty. I would start there and work your way through.

You also didn't state how many K's where on it. Depending on milage, you may also have to consider the timing chain as posiible cause??

That being said, my Navara failed an engine at 27k and Nissan wouldn't warrant, so I had the repair performed by my own workshop. The amount of parts we found out of spec was astounding. The injector flow alone was down 25% compared to new injectors.

I have turbo flutter, and it is not from overboosting. I run boost & pyro guages, so I know it is boosting right. It is just a minor fault with the VGT setting on the turbo. Does't cause any damage I am aware of.

Well Metro Nissan say it is caused from the snorkel . But as I told them it was doing it before the snorkel whent on . The car has just had its 30 thow service .

nunya, i got D40 i have been having boost solenoid problems since i bought the navara. mine is 1 year old 20,000km. nissan put a rubber around solenoid not helped. i am told these solenoids can be very noisy. where are you from?

Well Metro Nissan say it is caused from the snorkel . But as I told them it was doing it before the snorkel whent on . The car has just had its 30 thow service .
car is pritty new 30 thow service under warranty still. snorkel what a lot of rubbish see my comments ABOVE about my noise. i am even thinking to put unichip to get rid of my noisy solenoid but a new car should not have to do this to fix a nissan problem

Latest posts

Back