To get 33's or stick with 32's...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbt

Reaction score
Well, I am in the process of trying to decide to upgrade from 32's to 33's on my D40 king cab... I would like to hear all the pros and cons people have had when running 33's..... I think they make the D40 look pretty decent, would give my diffs a break from the rocks, but have heard that they tend to track on the road. I currently have toughdog suspension, and that doesnt really give me the clearance I need, 40mm or so, so I will be getting the ute raised anyway. I am just trying to work out if I go the whole hog and whack some bigger tyres on her.

Whats ya thoughts?

Hey mate not most experienced guy out there but have got 33's on my d40 with tough dog suspension also. Have "2" body lift but had them on with the "1" body lift and we're fine after inner guard mod as on this site. I went from stock tyres so obviously more fuel consumption also being full muddies nothing ridiculous but probably lost a good 50ks per tank roughly. If you get a good wheel alignment from someone who knows there 4wd as I did car drives perfect like new again now.

Or buy a larger truck with more clearance for starters:)

Pros- More clearance and best way of all it lifts the diffs further off the ground, Looks way tougher,

Cons- More fuel consumption, Less acceleration, Worst off all poor braking performance. Brakes on a D40 aren't brilliant then alone degrading the braking performance even further.

Pros- More clearance and best way of all it lifts the diffs further off the ground, Looks way tougher,

Cons- More fuel consumption, Less acceleration, Worst off all poor braking performance. Brakes on a D40 aren't brilliant then alone degrading the braking performance even further.
How do you lose braking performance going to 33's?

Because there is more rubber to stop turning, they are a bigger rolling diameter. More braking force is needed to slow them down. Hence why you also loose acceleration with bigger tyres, more power is needed to turn them.

The thought crossed my mind, but I like my ute and decided to keep it.

Any way to get the braking performance back up? Is the performance loss a "theory" or is it a real world reality? What do the guys with 33's have to say abouth that?

Last edited:
Agree with the braking performance but I guess you get used to it, I tow a tradie trailer around most of the time also wich dosnt help but still manage fine. Performance loss nothing to major just takes a touch more to get the larger wheels turning but I've gone from stock wheels also so I'm doubting you will feel that much of a difference already having 32's on there. In my opinion I would never go back even if it was just simply for how much better they look on there I'm willing to sacrifice the rest lol

My mates 2010 ranger has awful brakes after putting 32's on it...
My 2013 D40 you could barely feel any difference on it, Brakes pull up great dry or wet!
Slight acceleration decrease but not a massive amount.
100% happy with 33' MT

Simple laws of physics- "Moment of force about an Axis". Look it up there is plenty of info about it. The difference will be noticeable. Not in a normal stop (no you wont notice any difference) but in a crash stop from say 60kph. probably several meters longer. Not only that, when it comes to emergency stop most of the speed is washed off in the last few meters of the stop. That's the way it works. Now days you want everything in your favour.

You could increase the braking efficiency but would require a larger disk with a greater pad surface area or make the vehicle lighter. Not easy or cheap option either way.

Last edited:
I ran 33's on my 2012 and had no problems stopping even with a fully loaded camp trailer and two weeks worth of gear.

It is true the laws of physics will prove that the bigger the mass the harder it is to move and to stop, BUT with ABS the job is to stop them from locking up and

causing the tyre to skid, which it will continue to do and as they are actually holding back from the force the brake needs to apply to lock the rim the ABS will still do

and does do a great job in pulling up the D40 and after travelling over 180,000km in D40's and having to perform emergency stop from time to time i was never able

to tell any difference even when the dope of a P plater pulled out in front of me, if the braking force was any harder the wheels would of locked up for sure.

anyway the down side that i experienced was not the slight loss of power or slight change in gearing or the slight fuel economy loss, it was that i broke TWO diffs with

the 33's on and i never broke a diff prior.

I cant be 100% certain if it was all linked totally to the increased rotational force or that with them on i pushed a bit harder, although when the diffs actually went at

that exact moment i wasnt doing anything major by any stretch.

The D40 front diff and its housing to me is the biggest issue with running the bigger rubber and the extra traction gained can add strain where the components are

not really up to any added pressure.

Last edited:
more fuel, worse braking and broken diffs are talking you in to it? :sarcastic:

I am not too worried about the fuel, I already have a heavy foot so gave up worrying about that.... I think the breaking would just take time to get used to.... The diff breakage concerns me tho

I am not too worried about the fuel, I already have a heavy foot so gave up worrying about that.... I think the breaking would just take time to get used to.... The diff breakage concerns me tho

dont worry about the braking, as i said you wont tell the difference at any time.

If anything with the extra rubber on the ground you will actually gain a little traction, especially in wet conditions or on dirt roads and mud ect

But yes the breakages can be a pain in the a...

depends on what you break, CV or diff or diff housing, ten if you go new or 2nd hand and who you buy from, its a sliding scale

What sort of driving were you doing when they popped? I tend to be a practical 4wd user as I use it to get to beach and down tracks to go surfing.... I dont tend to going out and thrash my wagon for the sake of it.

What sort of driving were you doing when they popped? I tend to be a practical 4wd user as I use it to get to beach and down tracks to go surfing.... I dont tend to going out and thrash my wagon for the sake of it.

I do at times push my 4x4's but at the same time always have mechanical sympathy for the car and driveline and never "THRASH MY WAGON FOR THE SAKE OF IT" either, BUT if you are having clearance issues and wanting to give the diffs a break from being hit i doubt you are only driving on the beach now days.

At the time the pinion shaft snapped clean in half i was testing the front to set of the new set of muddies i put on were scrubbing anywhere and had just driven the car up on an embankment at a angle to make it flex, when i got back in to drive off the wheel spun a half a revolution and BANG.

The second time i was crossing a rut that i had crossed in the past at very slow speed, as the ute flexed and drove through the section i herd a clack clack and then i could just smell gear oil.
Now that time im not 100% sure if it was the diff housing and a cv, axle, diff centre itself or just the housing, because on the way home the car was written off by the P plater running through a stop sign and slamming into me so i never got to pull it down and see what the heck had actually happened

Latest posts

Back