Timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyh

Reaction score
I have had my 08 nav with 140k just diagnosed with a snapped lower timing chain. It just stopped as I was driving. Does anyone know the cheapest way out. Should I get an exchange engine about 8k plus labour to swap over. Or should I inspect the damage first quoted up to 14k. Is it possible that it may just need a new head and chain without piston damage? I had just asked the dealer when it was serviced about inspecting it and nissans reply was that we don't need to inspect if there is no noise? Frustrated!

Go back to Nissan and if you just had it serviced they should have been able to diagnose it before it broke, so might be nice and help you out in some way.

first off, hi and welcome to the forum.
sounds like you have been having the Navara serviced by Nissan??
If that is the case then you may be able to get the damage fixed or at least some of the cost paid for by Nissan under a "good will warranty claim"
Nissan have done this for quite a few people (most have had an impeccable service history) and have told just as many NO, but thats not to say that a very nicely worded polite letter to Nissan AUS wouldnt go astray and definitely would not hurt.
Bottom line is a timing chain in a well maintained motor really should last the life of the motor.
If that fails i would be looking at a low km second hand engine minus the turbo ect as that would more then like;ly be your cheapest option

Cheers guys second owner service history pretty good but can imagine the run around and uncertainty that Nissan will give whilst the car is off the road and waiting an answer.

I dont think it will be easy to get them to help out with the repairs, but it has been done and IMO would be well worth a few letters and phone calls and a little grovelling and if that fails, followed up by a few threats. Like i said Timing chains should not fail in an engine that has only done 140k, if it was a BELT then it would be a different story

Back