Timing chain issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh I believe im due for a new double row timing chain im only getting 550k from 70liters of diesel. No warranty for me which sucks

I have just upgraded my chain to a double row and even after a Dpf delete pipe I am lucky to get 500 klms a tank. 08 auto minimal mods tried many things but still can't get that fuel down. Injectors is the only thing left but the car runs fine?

I have just upgraded my chain to a double row and even after a Dpf delete pipe I am lucky to get 500 klms a tank. 08 auto minimal mods tried many things but still can't get that fuel down. Injectors is the only thing left but the car runs fine?

What size tyres do you have? Have you ever pulled the intercooler out and cleaned it?

Timing chain can cause some issues with fuel consumption but there are other (cheaper) areas to look at first. Replacing the timing chains is not a simple job.

Hey mate the tyres are standard 255/60/16 coopers atr. Haven't done inter cooler yet is it just a matter of removing and washing out with mineral turps or similar. I will also try a k@n filter next. Thanks

That's a small tyre. Your cruise speed (ie driving at 2000rpm) should be down around 88-91km/h (use a GPS device to determine this) - they're 6% smaller than the standard 255/70R16s. If you're cruising at 100km/h you're probably seeing revs nearer 2200 and somewhere closer to 2500 at 110km/h.

That's going to dramatically increase fuel usage. Try borrowing a set of 255/70R16s and see how it goes. It will feel a little more sluggish off the line (because it'll be back to normal) but cruise speed will be achieved at the normal RPM.

Cleaning the intercooler isn't difficult, just time consuming. Remove it (carefully), pour in 200ml of unleaded fuel and shake the hell out of it. Drain it into a container. When you're done, drain it as well as you can and leave it sit for a couple of hours before reattaching it. If there's a small amount of vapour it won't bother the engine a lot.

wouldn't the oil residue of the k an n filter disrupt the maf sensor readings then causing more probs.

I hadn't thought of that, and others have put K&N filters in and haven't reported problems but it's entirely possible. The MAFS is very sensitive.

Anyone got a K&N in a D40? How does your MAFS look, and how's your fuel economy?

Well it appears mine is playing up to.... I am in the process of selling my ute and it starts rattling...

Anyone want a 08 STX TD Auto with Chip it, EGT, 90,000klms in pretty good nick and does get good klms on fuel - 650+

$25K

I hadn't thought of that, and others have put K&N filters in and haven't reported problems but it's entirely possible. The MAFS is very sensitive.

Anyone got a K&N in a D40? How does your MAFS look, and how's your fuel economy?

Hey tony I was wrong with the tyre size they are 255/70/17. So still struggling to sort the high fuel use but will do inter cooler tomorrow and see.

That's almost 80mm of extra circumference over standard - on the highway it will increase fuel consumption a small amount but your optimal cruise speed rises from 95 km/h to about 99-100km/h (measured by GPS, RPM at 2000).

If you drive a lot in the city you'll see a marked rise in consumption. My average on 255/70R16s in the city was 12-13LPHK and rose to 14-15LPHK on 255/75R16s. I'm back on 255/70R16s and my consumption around town on the last tank was 12.9LPHK.

I have a K&N. it's been in for about 17000 of the 20000 the car has done so far. No problems to date (touch wood) and the car averages about 10L/100km but I do predominantly highway driving. I'm very careful not to over oil the filter.

Well I thought I would add to the list of people that need to replace the chain...

Mine is with the mechanic as we speak - I am utterly disgusted at Nissan with putting such a shit piss weak chain in a ute with torque and power figures that the navaras can put out.

My guides have dropped and near broken away, the teeth on the sprockets have snapped of, the chain has stretched. And now he tells me the sump needs to check no bits have fallen down there..... Very lucky nothing has moved of some of the mounts in the timing housing.

$2800 later and all the common issues fixed I have had enough.
Bit the bullet and bought another ute - triton and its great!

congrats on the new purchase, enjoy your new ute.

How many kms were on the motor and what year model was it?

Mine is too getting the timing chain replaced as I write this. The chain was was making a slight noise at cold start up so I wasn't too concerned but I mentioned it to my local deal at its 110k service. After the service they said there was a bit rattle on start up, and recommended it would be better safe than sorry and change it.... Lucky for the extended warranty as there will be no charge. Plus apparently the lower ball joints are getting a bit sloppy, any others out there with that issue?

And given the timing chain, its operation and its longevity is never a part of servicing providing the service book requirements are met there is no reason why warranty wouldn't cover a non stealershit serviced vehicle.

And given the timing chain, its operation and its longevity is never a part of servicing providing the service book requirements are met there is no reason why warranty wouldn't cover a non stealershit serviced vehicle.

Unfortunately, that's a little too accurate.

It means that those dealers that HAVE said "oh let's change it" are bloody good to deal with.

Unfortunately, that's a little too accurate.

It means that those dealers that HAVE said "oh let's change it" are bloody good to deal with.

Which indeed means YOU have been 'bloody good to deal with'.

Latest posts

Back