Timing Chain Failures and Oil Filters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Oil Filter Choices Have You Made?

• I've never had a timing chain fail

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • My timing chain has failed, only ever had genuine oil filters

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My timing chain has failed, used aftermarket oil filters

Votes: 11 15.9%

• Total voters
If they do a recall on it:

1) It's going to be expensive for Nissan

2) There's going to be a mad rush from owners on original chains/tensioners (like me) to get theirs replaced before "the big bang"

3) Those that have had theirs go bang will undoubtedly want to claim the cost of repairs from Nissan (if done outside)

4) People who proactively purchased chains from suppliers like yd25.com.au are going to be quite annoyed. They should be even more annoyed if that supplier supplied a genuine Nissan replacement tensioner if that indeed IS the faulty part (which I'm not doubting).

Following on from my last post on this issue I have left the car sit while i think about the dilemma. My thoughts are that I will get YD25 to fit the dual row chains and sort of future proof the car. I like it but this chain issue drives me nuts. I just am loathe to drive it and dont want to stuff the whole engine. Has anyone fitted the YD25 kit themselves or with a mechanic mate? I am not saying its expensive for the kit- i think its very good value but i dont have the coin for the whole job at the moment.
Also one thing I thought about is why do Nissan specify such a low viscosity oil. Maybe 5-30 is ok for the same engine in a delivery van but in a 4x4 needs maybe a thicker oil to allow for higher engine temps. I would think that 5-30 will be as thin as water at higher temps and with high k's engines. Has anyone used a thicker oil?

I have a sort of confession to make. After letting the D40 sit there while i stewed on replacing the chain i decided to start it and decide on its future. I started it and it listened to the sounds of a jamaican steel band coming for the engine. I removed the engine cover and to my surprise the noise not coming from the engine. Loosened the fan belt and the noise disappeared. What i had thought was a timing chain was in fact the alternator pulley clutch. $98 bucks from Bursons and changed the pulley. Now driving car and the engine is nice and quiet. Mmm well that saved a few grand. LOL

Well HJ..mine was a matter of the belts in the end..never come across it before..so much mechanical slapping noise..all gone after many false starts

talc powder, v belt anti slip, and lube added--all led me on different paths

I have a 2007 d40 Stx Spanish. Vsk. 118,000kms. Manual.
I will share some decoy rattles in my experience.
I did notice some rattle at one stage and it was the air intake pipe that comes out of the air box. Put your finger on it and sooo quiet. A freind of mine did the same thing the other day so I quickly rapped a zip tie around it and something magic happened.
Belts and that alternator pulley are also common culprits for some strange noises. A quick spray of any liquid shuts belts up temporarily, especially when cold, hinting they may need adjustment or replacement.
After washing my engine bay(which I would probably not do again with high pressure) the alt pulley started squeaking. Obviously I had pressured water into the clutch. Replaced clutch pulley and all good. This was my fault. Next time I will rap that area with plastic bag if I have to do it again.

Another common problem is those Nissan engine covers which can vibrate. I personally remove them so I can see at a glance what is brewing under neath during my monthly inspections.. Put your hand over the rear engine cover to stop vibration to see if your is the culprit..

At about 100,000kms when I was really bored, loss of license, I decided to open up the timing chain covers and inspect upper and lower chains. Quite a fun job. Upon inspection, the internals were immaculate. No build up. No egr block at this stage. There was minor oil film in cooler which I cleaned but nothing major.
- i measured the upper and lower chain tensioner for piston exposed length. I called Nissan and shared results with head mechanic who said its fine and within specs. The upper had literally zero stretch. It is a double. The lower has very minor as to be expected stretch. Piston was only slightly out. You can see upon inspection where once chain stretched beyond service life it would hit and make a "noise". Metal chain to aluminium scraping. If you notice this very obvious loud rattle and keep driving you are gambling. Speaking to ARB and Nissan head mechanic, he insisted they don't touch these chains unless rattle noise develops hinting stretched chain.

- All My chain guides were inspected and/or removed and have zero wear in them giving me more confidence. They actually looked new.
- Measuring the lower chain between the links did show some very minor stretch.
I have never used genuine oil filters or genuine oil. I have always used nylon fully synthetic 5w-30 diesel formula long life engine oil. API rating of SN. I was always taught the most important thing to note with oils is the API rating and always use the same oil. Ie. Don't change brands every service. Miixing oils can cause problems especially from a fully synthetic to a semi or mineral. I use Various different types of oil filers. Never paid attention to them. I most probably start buying originals. Thanks guys..
Car is stored 99% in garage so no frost. I'm in Melb and it gets very cold and frosty in winter.
Warm up car in morning for a couple of mins especially in winter. No cold take off unless of course you have to. I drive like an old lady most times especially when cold engine. It really annoys some of my less patient passengers. When away and I have to park outside I will warm up for around 5 mins minimum.. It hurts to see people Revving their engine cold. This can and will cause excessive wear and tear.
Now I'm not defending these chains as they should be better. However I believe there are things you could do to minimise your exposure. Cold starts is just a theory of mine.

Next timing chain inspection for me will be around 150,000 kms. This time I will try and do with a snake camera and only remove upper cover. Much easier if that's possible.

I have changed the oil in my 2005 D22 ZD30 STX (240,000 Ks) since new using Sakura or Ryco filters and Fuchs Titan Ultra Lube 15W40; changed every ~7000 ks. Never had a problem (touch wood :))

The D22s don't have timing chain issues, I now believe it's because they use the 'Thai' timing chain, the Spanish D40s between about 06 and Jan 2010 used a different timing chain, which appears to be weaker than the Thai one.

Hmmm i have a 2010thai d40 on which the chain stretched to buggery. I think it might be more down to shit manufacturing and materials control. No doubt nissan just buy in batchs of chains from a provider, who ever is the cheapest on the day is my guess.

Hmmm i have a 2010thai d40 on which the chain stretched to buggery. I think it might be more down to shit manufacturing and materials control. No doubt nissan just buy in batchs of chains from a provider, who ever is the cheapest on the day is my guess.

Are you sure yours is Thai made ? I thought the STs up to 2012 were Spanish made.

Yep positive its a thai. Says "built in thialand" on the plate. As far as i know the ST was the only one made in thailand up to 2012 but i could be wrong. There was a thread on here some time ago which detailed what was made where.

Until 2011 the St was Thai and the stx Spain.

After that the badges changed and it gets confusing

Yeah, that is crazy. I looked at a 2012 ST that was Spanish made before I bought my 2013 Thai made ST. Confusing indeed.

More concerning is that Iceman appears to have had timing chain issues, which I believed was limited to the 'Spanish' chain. It is totally possible that he just happened to have a bad one for whatever reason.

Ive heard of a few other thai's some early...some late model that have cooked the chain.at least witht he thai it should be caught by the ecu before it snaps.

check your VIN number; if it starts with MNT its Thai Built. if it starts with VSK or JNI its spanish built. so whats the verdict ?

My chain didnt actually snap it just became so noisey it was un drivable. For all i know it could have been the tensioner that shit itself and the chain was ok. I never found out as it was a warrenty repair. Now I occasionally have the rattle on start up but otherwise its quiet. I did go to a grade thicker oil and that has helped the general noise level alot.

My chain didnt actually snap it just became so noisey it was un drivable. For all i know it could have been the tensioner that shit itself and the chain was ok. I never found out as it was a warrenty repair. Now I occasionally have the rattle on start up but otherwise its quiet. I did go to a grade thicker oil and that has helped the general noise level alot.

unless its belt noise, you need to replace the top tensioner, thats causing the rattle since it can lose its oil overnight (works with hydrolic pressure by filling itself with oil) so it rattle until it gets filled with oil again

Latest posts

Back