Tigerz winch problem!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooba_285

Reaction score
tried to use my winch tonight and after pulling out the cable it would not wind back in, it will use the motor to wind out but when it wouldnt go in i could hear the solinoid clicking and then the winch motor was smoking and half melted the cable from the battery to the control box, its got me stumped why it will wind out but not in, any ideas as to why? its a hercules 12 000lb cable winch
cheers

Some of the earlier Tigerz11 winches had solenoid problems, the later models were fitted with a different solenoid to fix the problem, the later version can be retro fitted to the earlier winches.

Maybe a solenoid failure?

yeah im guessing its the solenoid but not sure, would the smoking motor have buggered the motor? still winds out, ive sent an email to tigerz

let us know how ya go with it scooba, ive got a hercules also. as do many others im sure.

i got an email back from tigerz today and here it is

Hi Steve,

Don't be disappointed as this is a wiring issue not the winches fault. I
would say off the top you haven't earthed it properly.

*Regards,

*Hayley Richards
*General Manager

*Tigerz11 Pty Ltd

that sounds like B.S. to me, how can it not be earthed properly???

scooba_285 said:
i got an email back from tigerz today and here it is

Hi Steve,

Don't be disappointed as this is a wiring issue not the winches fault. I
would say off the top you haven't earthed it properly.

*Regards,

*Hayley Richards
*General Manager

*Tigerz11 Pty Ltd

that sounds like B.S. to me, how can it not be earthed properly???

Check your earth on the motor. Little earth wire.

scooba_285 said:
ok i will check it, but how can that stop it going in but still comes out?

A poor earth does funny things. Just like your blinkers and Parker's on your bullbar switching together.
Also open up your control box and check the cables are all tight.

i checked all wiring, pulled it all out and them re-installed it, still no difference, pulled the control box apart aswell and all seemed good but im no electrician, would the bad earth cause the positive cable to melt as it did?

Last edited:
Im a sparky no auto elec tho. But to me melting wiring means massive current being drawn. My guess might be seized motor.

I've never had a look at these before but does the contractor just change the polarity of the motor to change the direction? If thats the case it sounds like the contractor is buggered.
Or is there a gearbox of some sort involved
Switch the polarity of the motor so you can get the cable back in

just saw the bit about the melted cable, if there is a gearbox it could have a problem which has locked the motor and caused the increased current.
Or a loose connection could have caused it, again, i've never seen one so i'm only guessing

Switch the polarity of the motor so you can get the cable back in

i just spooled the cable right out and took it off so i could drive home, sounds like CHEAP CHINESE SHIT!!! lol, tigerz11 dont want to know about it either, talk about after sale service, pricks

I have done heaps of research and the general consensus seems to be that tigers are not as great as made out and that the after sales/warranty is pretty much never agreed to.

So sorry for you scooba and I hope you get it sorted but I was about to shell out for a tigerz11 winch and this thread has made my mind up for me. I think I'll spend a few more dollars on an Avenger Mako now!

Latest posts

Back