Thinking about buying D40 but being told don't be crazy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pac72

Reaction score
Hi all, I am Paul, just joined and need some help already so hope someone can help.

Live in Lockyear Valley in Qld and have a young family.

Used to be a four wheel driver and doing reasonably hard tracks at Landcruiser Park with old Landcruiser 80 series.

However with age things that were easy are starting to look hard lol but still enjoy anything I know it won't reck my family vehicle if you know what I mean.

Anyway without boring everyone, I need to buy a fourby and a ute seems the way to go, looked at a hilux today but was falling to pieces for my price.

I am looking at a stock standard navara RX turbo diesel dual cab d40 2009 manual, thinking about adding a canopy (for Mrs wheel chair) and a tub liner so all around the 30K mark for a 90000km ute.

A mate at work bought one not long ago and did the snowy mountains trip a couple months ago and often goes to the glass house mountains in Brisbane and told me that I shouldn't buy one because they are too low even with his two hinch lift.

Everyone tells me I should not buy one as they are no good for offroading due to ground clearance and that being a family on a tight budget the clutch problem and other navara problems will send me bankrupt.

So at the risk of asking Navara fanatics (I suppose would be the same as going to a ford group asking for their thoughts on a ford or holden choice lol) the obvious I do need sincere help.

I need to do deal this week as my car that I am trading is due for rego very soon.

Thank you so much everyone I really appreciate it.

Paul

ive got a stock d22 that goes really good but have been out with a few others with lifted d40 and combined with smart driving and some lift they are a really good truck
with a 2 inch body and 2 inch suspension lift running 33 inch tyres it should get you anywhere that you would want to go.

I don't have a d40 but someone will help soon. Have you thought about a auto instead of manual? No clutch issues and really no other dramas. If your not gonna be doing serious offroading and just doing what you know your car can handle then any rig will do. The decision is really up to you. If you like how it drives etc then its your choice

I don't have a d40 but someone will help soon. Have you thought about a auto instead of manual? No clutch issues and really no other dramas. If your not gonna be doing serious offroading and just doing what you know your car can handle then any rig will do. The decision is really up to you. If you like how it drives etc then its your choice

Yes I have been trying to find an auto but no luck so far

Gday and welcome to the forum.

I would agree that they do have a low chassis, which does affect the ramp over, BUT its not that bad that you cant go off road with it you just have to know its limits, just like any other 4x4.

I go out wheeling and camping just about every second weekend with mates and the family, and im mostly surrounded by Hilux's , the nav does everything the lux's do and sometimes more.

As for the clutch issues, yes the clutches are prone to failure, but that seems to be with utes that are towing big loads very frequently.
This isnt just a D40 thing, its any ute that runs a dual mass flywheel, yes that includes the Hilux ect
You can install a single mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch to rectify that problem IF it happens.

Yes i own a D40 and yes i may be bias BUT im not stuck on one make of vehicle, if the other companies offered what the D40 has for the same coin i would look more seriously at them.

In my honest opinion i think if you thoroughly check the D40 out from top to bottom, you have just as much chance of getting a great ute as you would with any other brand.

good luck with what ever you decide to get,
nathan

Last edited:
i was with crazypossum with the D40. They looked really good and went really well. They were helding things i wounldnt do in my D22. Just take one for a drive. When i brought my D22 i took it for a drive and fell in love with it straight away. They make a good family car and off road car. I have a 7 month old and my family fitts in it good. Try posting some thing in the D40 section for some more answers. Hope it all goes well.

i was with crazypossum with the D40. They looked really good and went really well. They were helding things i wounldnt do in my D22. Just take one for a drive. When i brought my D22 i took it for a drive and fell in love with it straight away. They make a good family car and off road car. I have a 7 month old and my family fitts in it good. Try posting some thing in the D40 section for some more answers. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks for that info, yes my wife and I fell in love with the d40 too, we just can't really afford a clutch straight away.
I tried the D22 but found I could not fit three children confortably on the back.

Thanks for that info, yes my wife and I fell in love with the d40 too, we just can't really afford a clutch straight away.
I tried the D22 but found I could not fit three children confortably on the back.

I havent herd of any instant clutch failures, they usually give plenty of warning before they go.

Mine has done 60k now with a bit of towing and allot of 4x4ing with no probs at all.

You can tell if the clutch is bodgy, just put it in 4th or 5th when going slow or up a hill and stand on the loud peddle.

G, day pac72,

Welcome aboard,fear no beer. If you attend any of the Navara outings or musters over the next few years, please remember, the only stick you should have in your hand is "Low range" .

Check out todays Camping Gear thread, look for the topic titled Camper Trailers by gunning1987. Scroll down to page 3, i have placed 5 photos of my D40 heading up to Cape York last year via the Telegraph track.

They are a very capable truck in my opinion! The only weakness I found was the clutch with gave up the ghost around the 110,000k mark. I replaced the dual mass set-up with a direct clutch heavy duty solid mass fly wheel system. I worked a treat towing my Jayco camper trailer up the various notorious tracks on Cape York.

PS, I will be up-loading a shit load of photos of my D40 soon. I sold my D40 a couple of months ago for a Nissan GU Patrol, one of the reasons for selling her was I needed the extra room for my family i.e. 3 adults (one inherited father-in-law) and 2 children aged 10 and 12.

Regards,

RLI

:rambo::deadhorse:

Welcome to the forum!

The D40 is more suited to the family as the cabin is 180mm longer than the D22 (and is also larger than the Rodeo, Bravo, Ranger & Colorado (perhaps not the latest models). The D40 also has quite a bit more power.

Its long wheelbase does impact on its ramp-over but it also makes it very stable as a tug - it's a dream to haul long-distance.

I do rather dislike the dual mass flywheels, as Nathan said they're in a great many utes these days. They tend to let the clutch cook - the auto is the better choice in that respect. If you're happy ripping that out and having a single-mass flywheel and heavy duty clutch put in then go for it.

Is it the best car for you? Only you can tell that. You might want to save a few more dollars and get a brand new D22 - yes the power is reduced and the rear seat space is limited, but they have a single mass clutch and new vehicles have a decent warranty.

I happen to be completely happy with my D40 (auto). I've taken it off-road - admittedly nothing excessively hard, but I've gone through muddy tracks and bonnet-deep water and that's exciting enough for me.

Good luck with your choice!

D40 has the most grunt (kw & torque) than any other 4 cyl dual cab 4wd on the market but clearance is a let down. iv heard more luxes clutch stories than navaras but both are shit when under serious constant load. note: luxes had more recalls than the D40...they dont make the toyota like they used to, plus its made in thailand so is the d40 but not worth the extra $10k...i bought my d40 2nd hand and still has the original clutch at 198000ks and no issues mechanically (touchwood). Really Doesn't matter what truck you buy with the responsible driver and servicing its going to be ok lux or nav.

Latest posts

Back