the vortex myth

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vool104

Reaction score
well i think ive maybe hit the nail on the head about caltex VORTEX, my D40 YD25 usually gets about 650kms to a tank religously an thats running on BP. i ran the last tank to the ground and filled up with vortex and my trip now has 660kms an the fuel light isnt on yet. i wrekin ill get a safe 700kms out of this tank. it just seems more crisp :rock: ive tried to drive it as normal an consistant as i normaly would. doesnt seem to blow as much black smoke either. give it a go an see what you think. im keen to know some other results

Given that all diesel in Vic comes from two refinery's (other states would be similar) and in WA that drops down to one refinery for the entire state it's hard to explain different fuel brands getting better economy for a little Shell Additive or BP additive placed in the bulk tanker on anything more then environmental factors and driving factors.

Because of things like temperature, wind, weather in general, stopping at a few more traffic lights, more up hill into wind or more down hill with the wind and even the drivers foot it would be next to impossible to get everything exactly the same between two tanks of different fuels so it's easily feasible to make the conclusion that today's tank is more economical because of of the brand of fuel used, but it's not very accurate.

I get constant low 9's in my 09 D40 (been getting better in the last 6 months it used to average high 9's) and it makes no difference which fuel I use. Sure the last tank of Vortex I put through got me 8.9 but I've had tanks of Shell do 8.3 on long non stop journeys, I've also had Shell pull high 10's on a day between Port Augusta and Renmark because of a howling wind.

At the end of the day (it's night) and people will always gravitate towards a particular flavour and there's nothing wrong with that but it's not like the products we are buying that have different names are that different that one is going to be vastly better than the other at all times.

I've also had Shell pull high 10's on a day between Port Augusta and Renmark because of a howling wind.

Gawd do I know that wind, that open stretch between Burra & Morgan has cost me a small fortune in extra fuel -- bastard wind always blowing, and always blowing the wrong way!

i agree with krafty, doesn't matter what i seem to fill up with caltex or shell or bp i consistently get mid-high 9s city driving and low 9s highway driving.
headwind, aircon (more recently since it's been hot), etc. will add an extra litre/100km.

i will consistently get 700+km from a tank and have on a few occasions achieved 800km with a tailwind.

Last edited:
Gawd do I know that wind, that open stretch between Burra & Morgan has cost me a small fortune in extra fuel -- bastard wind always blowing, and always blowing the wrong way!

The day I got it I got it from the Gutta pretty much all the way to Morgan, geez it was relentless.

On the same trip (WA bound) I filled up at BP Border Village and headed west, got into Norseman (725ks) and I had 6L left in the tank, you can work it out but it's a bit over 10lph. On the return trip I filled up at the BP in Norseman and got to Border Village with 12L left (closer to 9LPH).

From memory Border Village gets their fuel from WA (which apparently comes from a BP refinery) so both fill ups possibly came from the same refinery 3 weeks apart, the road was the same but the direction changed and the difference was about 1LPH. Road conditions change and even driving without stop starting on relatively flat roads where speed limits don't fluctuate much can yield quite different results.

Apart from the one bad day from PA to Renmark the average for the trip was mid 9's over 14 fillups no matter what fuel I used even in and around Perth I was getting the same figures.

The day I got it I got it from the Gutta pretty much all the way to Morgan, geez it was relentless.

Went through there one day (towards burra) into 90km/h winds (complete with dust storm) -- 14lph that trip.

But I agree - conditions (ambient/ driving/ driver) make all the difference for me.

Unloaded I get 750+ (ZD30)

moderate load/ windy day: 680 - 750 plus

heavy load: anyone's guess

Best: over 800km (done that a few times).

Not once could I blame the fuel though.

It's also easier to monitor over longer trips. Sure at the end of the tank one can sit down and work out an LPH figure but can one work out how many days they drove into a head wind and what that head wind was to be able to compare it with the next tank. Such things may not always be big factors but they are factors that need to be taken into account before one can categorically say one fuel is better than another.

Went through there one day (towards burra) into 90km/h winds (complete with dust storm) -- 14lph that trip.

But I agree - conditions (ambient/ driving/ driver) make all the difference for me.

Unloaded I get 750+ (ZD30)

moderate load/ windy day: 680 - 750 plus

heavy load: anyone's guess

Best: over 800km (done that a few times).

Not once could I blame the fuel though.

How on earth do u get 750ks or even 800ks on your tank in a ZD30? Is your Nav chipped and intercooled?

How on earth do u get 750ks or even 800ks on your tank in a ZD30? Is your Nav chipped and intercooled?

Only real mods are intercooler and snorkel - no chip.

Tyres are 245/75 - nothing special.

I don't ring its neck, but I am not a granny.

Yep, reckon I got a good one :redcool:

I'll add my 2 cense in to. I use what ever petrol station is closer. Lately iv started to moneter my lph and used the two closer servos to me (they are about the same distence from where I live) one is shell and the other is bp. I do the same km for work every day so that is the same but I can very from 8-9.5 lph. That is from the same servo. So my theory is I get anywhere from 8-9.5 lph. That's on a zd30 03 with 157,000km on the clock. So KraftyPg is onto something.

He's not on to something..he's stating the bleedin obvious...just that folks dont want to listen and deal with facts and hard data

Works for me.

I can easily get another 100km's out of a tank from using Vortex.

As for 2 stroke. Unless its a 2 stroke Detroit, leave it at home. Haha.

Come on dave as soon as you see Miranda Kerr you only get 2 strokes..... :sarcastic:

He only gets one with that happy snap of Julia shaggy posted.

I still say the only myth around vortex is just what is in that additive that gets added to the pipe at the refinery when the Vortex truck pulls up that doesn't get added to the Shell truck. It must be some explosive shit to make such a huge difference but must also be selective shit because it doesn't work the same for everyone.

So Krafty - The Caltex truck and Shell truck get the same diesel - one is Vortex the other Diesel Extra.

Now fill up with either of these, and add some 2T ...............you'll get km's like nakedape is claimimg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back