The V6 Diesel D40 has arrived.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah unfortunately those boxes are lazy.. They dont like changing. Invest some shares in glad wrap cause unfortunately they aren't sealed. I can't see it being too hard to seal off the tub with some rubber seals between the lips of the tailgate?
Should look into it for my 22 aswell.
Btw I'm leaving Sydney motor group too :)

Rubber seals around the tail gate aren't enough. There are openings at the front of the tub in the corners as well. For some reason despite the Clark Rubber tailgate seal bought specifically for the D40 (cost me about $60 if I remember correctly) there's still some dust getting in.

I'm not sure how effective filling the gap up the front of the tub with expanda-foam would be. It might do the trick for dust, not sure what would happen with water (thinking about deep crossings, here).

Don't know about the D22's but anything over the tub mounts in a D40 will leak if left submerged for long enough. There is two drain holes at the front of the tub and underneath the Utilitrak rails is atleast two holes (not including the track mounts) which will also leak if submerged. While the vehicle is moving the amount of water getting in would be very little but being stopped would probably be a different matter.

Yeah unfortunately those boxes are lazy.. They dont like changing. Invest some shares in glad wrap cause unfortunately they aren't sealed. I can't see it being too hard to seal off the tub with some rubber seals between the lips of the tailgate?
Should look into it for my 22 aswell.
Btw I'm leaving Sydney motor group too :)

Hey mate, where you heading after Sydney motor group?

Gearbox is very lazy, a bit better if you put it in Sports mode, shifts down a bit quicker, manual mode is pretty useless as it overrides you if it thinks it should (like low range, 1st gear down a hill engine braking and it decides to shift up a gear or two), good for taking off from the lights though.

Thinking maybe a bit of neoprene between tailgate & ute tub floor might work to keep dust out, nice & stretchy too so it shouldn't get in the way, might give it a go and see what I find

The names Charlie by the way.
I'm moving over to Mcgraths Nissan at Kirawee. Nice and close to home. So I'll still be with Nissan thankfully.

Finally getting that service today. Fitted a yd25 snorkel yesterday too. Pretty happy with it

Yeah whenever I call I ask for Charlie in service, then they always tell me you aren't there.

So am I heading to McGraths Nissan from now on? Close enough to me too

Do you know if the snorkel from normal STX will fit the 550?

Yeah come here mate no worries.
I'm not sure I'll fin out now and post here...
I got my parts guy chasing it up now.
Yeah I get quite busy an run around a lot. At the moment it's my lastday so I'm blushing haha

Think I've found my canopy, anybody know who stocks/sells snugtop canopies? There was one on a D40 when I got mine serviced yesterday and another on one at the servo this afternoon. Great looking canopy and both owners where wrapped with them.

Think I've found my canopy, anybody know who stocks/sells snugtop canopies? There was one on a D40 when I got mine serviced yesterday and another on one at the servo this afternoon. Great looking canopy and both owners where wrapped with them.

I think the importer is SuperF Spares, one in Melbourne and one in Qld I have made enquiries with them and I believe they can supply and fit. Going to get one on mine soon.
Mick

Spoke to super F spares, the one I'm after they are not allowed to sell as nissan are selling it as there own genuine one. Spoke to nissan where I got the car from they quoted 3600 for it with lift up side windows, I twisted the young ladies arm on price and she is going to call me back after I politely reminded her I only picked my car up a few weeks ago and will soon be ordering another from them.

Spoke to super F spares, the one I'm after they are not allowed to sell as nissan are selling it as there own genuine one. Spoke to nissan where I got the car from they quoted 3600 for it with lift up side windows, I twisted the young ladies arm on price and she is going to call me back after I politely reminded her I only picked my car up a few weeks ago and will soon be ordering another from them.

The lady I dealt with is away at present. She told me they would get one of the Nissan Canopies for me with lift up windows, she also believed that Nissan contract was changing ?????. Supplied and fitted for about $3600. Dealer where I bought my car quoted me $4050 + fitting.
Mick

I am thinking of doing first engine oil change on our 550. - oil specified is ACEA C4 HTHS3.2 and conforms to Renault RN 0720 spec. It is not a common oil spec :).
Fuchs TITAN GT1 PRO C4 SAE 5W-30 Is one oil that is suitable . Anyone using anying else ? Are there any reasonable sources of oil filters online or Nissan dealers are only option ?
Thanks for any replies :)

P.S there is also Elf Solaris DPF 5w-30 that is specifically formulated for Renault engines

Last edited:
hi there , just to let you know, been on holidays (fishing up the gulf) with the old non torbo landcruiser i use to get around 20-24lts per 100km, towing approx 1.7tne (boat on a duel axle trailer and gear), and got a averagr fuel consumption with the 550 of around 12.5-12.8lts per 100 (very impressed), ok now for my question, would it be ok to fit load helper springs to the rear of the 550 for slight leveling of the ass end or will this void warranty or cause extra stress to chassie?? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers..

I'm using Ironman Load Plus helper springs and I'm going to take the ruddy things off. They clank into the chassis at every opportunity. I was happy with them, now I'm not.

I could tighten them up some more, I suppose, but they shouldn't allow the u-bolt to impact the chassis the way they do.

If you can Afford

800-900 dollars go the rear air bags.. Just had mine fitted and what a difference it makes.. Use the ute for work so always carry full load and the springs used to bottom out all the time on the bump stops.. Now running 22psi in the bags and much better ride and with every couple of etrxa psi added you can noticibly see the ass end rise up..
They recomend for my bags miniuim 15-20 psi and they can be pumped up to max 100 psi.. not that i think you would ever need to go that far.. still yet to try the boat on the back will see how much extra air is needed then ..

But at least with the bags if you have no load in the back you can drop the air and still maintain a smoother ride whereas with helper springs when no load they are hard as hell on the ride...

any ways my two cents worth...

hi there , just to let you know, been on holidays (fishing up the gulf) with the old non torbo landcruiser i use to get around 20-24lts per 100km, towing approx 1.7tne (boat on a duel axle trailer and gear), and got a averagr fuel consumption with the 550 of around 12.5-12.8lts per 100 (very impressed), ok now for my question, would it be ok to fit load helper springs to the rear of the 550 for slight leveling of the ass end or will this void warranty or cause extra stress to chassie?? any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers..

Mate I have load plus springs on my 550 I find that they do the job, I had put them on to tow my 2ton van to the NT, I adjusted them to a happy medium so I still have a good ride when not towing without having to adjust them or take them off all the time. I also turned the rear u bolt upside down so that it would'nt hit or rub on the chassis, I don't hear any noise from them, I think for $120 they do the job untill I can afford to upgrade the supension to a 2" lift.
Cheers Lyle

thanks Hunter,Chookc and Old.Tony, a lot to consider, just remembering when you add a lift kit to your car (remembering when I had the landcruiser) some insurance places will not insure you, secondly cost from 1 to the other, thirdly with the chassie issue is there any from air bags to helper springs, finally ok warranty issues for the mod for both air bags to helper springs will either in worst case void warranty? btw Hunter when you had the load springs on (medium) did you notice as much sag on the back (or lift while uninstalled) when you hitched up your van?? at the moment with the D40 loaded and trailer hitched i probably drop approx 50mm maybe, would be great to even maintain current height, thoughts please. thanks again..

thanks Hunter,Chookc and Old.Tony, a lot to consider, just remembering when you add a lift kit to your car (remembering when I had the landcruiser) some insurance places will not insure you, secondly cost from 1 to the other, thirdly with the chassie issue is there any from air bags to helper springs, finally ok warranty issues for the mod for both air bags to helper springs will either in worst case void warranty? btw Hunter when you had the load springs on (medium) did you notice as much sag on the back (or lift while uninstalled) when you hitched up your van?? at the moment with the D40 loaded and trailer hitched i probably drop approx 50mm maybe, would be great to even maintain current height, thoughts please. thanks again..

Mate I still have the load springs on when I say happy medium I meant I played with the adjustment until I found the ride I wanted with or without the van so I could leave them on, set & forget, Yeh what I have them set at when putting the van on the back drops down about 1" but on level ground the vehicle and van look level, the van is a off road poptop so it dose sit high at the hitch, when I put them on I did'nt take any notice to see if they lifted the back any, when towing it took a lot of the bouncing out of the ass end without them I think I would of gotten sea sick on the NT trip.
Not sure of vioding warranty but it only takes 10min to pull them off

Back