The importance of fire extinguishers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy john

Reaction score
I am sure most of you have a fire extinguisher in your rig i have had one in every car and have used it 3 times over the years last being about 20yrs ago when my 2nd battery broke its cradle shorted out and caught fire.

Anyway this is what happened today a $700 kick in the but i have a lawnmowing buisness into my 15th year now i refuelled my brushcutter and went to start it it exploded into flames spewing 600mls of fuel onto me and everything else.

It was impossible to put out i went to the truck to get the extinguisher it wasn't there i had cleaned out the truck and not put it back the day before,
when i turned around a stupid neighbour was about to attack it with a garden hose yelling at him that will worsen the situation i had to sit and watch it burn itself out.

So apart from a bit of Murphy's law if you haven't got one get one you never know what will happen and if i was prepared i could of saved my equipment,best wishes to you all

Mate we went out for a fourby today with a few navaras and other trucks and after a great day on the tracks on the way home a bloke lost concentration and had a head on with one of the navaras and it was a mess first thing I did was grab the fire extinguisher outta the back seat and run over there luckily no1 was injured and nothing caught fire jus a bit smoky.. But no1 else around had one don't think but mine was ready to rock n roll..

Actually amongst the best hands-on training I ever got was from the PMG, when they lit a square yard tray of petrol and said "put it out", then handed me a fire extinguisher. Great experience when putting it out wasn't critical.

For the cost of the cheap auto ones, it is good training that you can give yourself.

<DONK DONK> (touch wood), I've never actually had to use one since.

When we load up, opening each passenger side door of the dual cab gives access to one or two fire extinguishers. they are jammed in between cargo on floor and front of seat.

It pays to take them out of the cradle once every month or so and give them a really good shake. The powder can settle and eventually harden up because of the gentle vibrations when driving. When you need to use it bugger all comes out. Won't always happen - but can.

Have to agree there, I have never had to use one but I will be ready if the opportunity presents itself, I have one in the tub and one in the cab just in case. I have been lucky to have had some training through work and have used a range of extinguishers.

Brett

I'm also a fan of keeping atleast one in my vehicle. Work has also provided training for the use and is pretty good fun too. I keep one in the tub but when mentioned before about on in the cab I may have to get another one. Never used them for emergency so let's hope it stays that way

i know a bloke who used too small wiring when wiring his winch, wires melted and started a fire under the bonnet, he put it out with a can of coke haha, extinguisher would have been handy for him.

We melted 4 foot of cabling between the battery and our old fridge in our Hiace van about 20 years ago. Looking in the rear vision mirror while driving all I could see was the entire back section full of smoke. Back then we were smokers and we didn't even smell the different smoke in the back until I saw the smoke and told the old man we probably should pull over. Cabling was installed under the carpet and although the carpet never burned the wire was fcuked by the time we stopped.

Had a similar thing happen with a Yota and bad driving light wiring under the dash at about the same time and single cabin utes don't take long to fill with smoke.

Got 1 since I started modding cars and tracking them
now I got 2 in my truck - 1 came off from my track car which I sold and second one got from a recovery kit I bought

Latest posts

Back