Strong gear box oil smell in the cab

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06dx22

Reaction score
I have a very strong gear oil smell coming into the cab but when im out of the car nothing at all, coming through the vent at times but cant find where, ive looked and smelled all through the cab but can not find where its coming from......anybady ever had this??????????? its been happening only for about the last 2 hrs of driving....

Welcome to the forum 06dx22. I've never heard of that happening before, any of your neighbors have a cat?:idea:

Welcome to the forum 06dx22. I've never heard of that happening before, any of your neighbors have a cat?:idea:

:welcome: to the forum...

I think Will is on the right track,

try pouring mix of eucalyptus oil/water sort ot down the winscreen along its length, be carefull not too strong a mix (paintwork) and let it drain down the vents...might have to do it a couple of times over a few days.

If you notice cat paw prints on your bonnet, that be a sure sign.

WFT, he is asking about gearbox oil smell in the cab.

Mate check the boot around the gearstick.

Dave.

OK.....thanks for the reply's.....But i have been out in it again and taken things apart, heres the news, it is not constant through the vents, only sometimes, the smell is definantly coming up through the centre directly above the gearbox, but no visible signs of oil at all, not a drop anywhere on the gear box or anywhere at all for that matter, but the smell is extreme every 2 mins or so, and i mean its like you have your head in a plastic bag full of gear oil.,,,, i just dont have a clue, and even less of a clue after 3hrs of searching for it. hopefully someone knows what the hells going on..................cheers

Being a DX you wont have a centre console to remove. Remove the gearstick boot and see if the rubber around the gearstick is cracked or has just come off the top of the gearbox.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, i did that and put it all back because i could not find any leaks at all, Would the smell be that bad if there was a gap, crack or hole in the rubber???, my last 4wd (cruiser) you could see the road through the cracks and there was no smell at all.

I have heard of GQ owners having this problem and it stinks the cab out.

Thats the only place that would stink out the cab.

Dave.

Hard to believe you would get a smell without a leak.

R U sure someone hasn't pranked you with something under the seat?

I did think about the prank thing or i forgot about a bottle etc but i have emptied the car and pulled everything apart, i did read that some 4wds have an issue with gearbox oil coming up through the speedo but i dont really know how to chech that.

Could the smell be coming from the A/C? I have heard of partially blocked condensate drains making a stink.

have you by chance got an air locker with the compressor in the cab. I seem to remember some were having issues with diff oil coming back up the lines. Diff oil n gear oil smeel the same,,, like matured spew.

Just an idea

Different car but on my D40 I have exactly the same issue. But mine will stink the garage out too as well as inside the car. The seal on top of the gearbox has been replaced but I honestly don't know if its diff or gearbox oil I can smell. Been like it for sometime now and neither me or the dealer can find any leaks......

could be vapour coming out the breather tubes if you can't find any oil leaking.

I had a GQ with that smell a couple of years ago. No leak but SOMETIMES a bad gear oil smell in the cab but only under heavy load or long up hill climb at speed. A mechanic did tell me that it was prob the seal around the shifter. Never did confirm what it was.

Check to see if your breather is blocked.A hose runs off the gear box and joins to a steel pipe that runs up into the engine bay.Your front diff and transfer case run into these aswell.

hey i got the same smell coming through my d22 navara oil smell, sooooooooo bad. did u here of anything?????

hey mate i got a nissan navara d22 with a funny oil or gear oil smell coming through my car. smells like its coming though my vents some times ive had some one check my boot and theres no tears. could it be a breather blocked maybe, please hep my car sucks at the moment arrrrrrrrrr, cheers

Latest posts

Back