Stranded, need help ASAP.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper

Reaction score
Hey all. Need help with a possible diagnosis ASAP please

Driving along. Suddenly all power lost and felt like something is "spraying" around inside the engine. A metallic rattle also started which sounds like its
From or near or inside the exhaust

Checked all turbo hoses and sensors ect they are all okay. Checked belts and exhaust all okay.

Just had injectors replaced, possible cause?
Turbo ATM seems okay not sure if blades have broken and are in exhaust causing the rattle?

Just waiting for good old man to come. Will test turbo for operation/spooling when he arrives.

Please throw me all your ideas

Thanks a million

Just under tow now. 175k. I think it's the rear blade bearings and rear blades that gave way. Still spools up a bit. Gonna strip it down tonight

Last edited:
^ if its blown the turbo, be thankful its the exhaust side of the Compressor.

A Cat's cheaper to replace then the Head and Piston's.

Yeah checked the compressor wheel all intact and the rotor shaft is still on so I think its the turbine wheel, hopefully.

Havent taken it off as of yet but will do soon. Checked all the gaskets but I can see after removing the turbo cover that there is some carbon buildup (not heaps but a little) on the cover and also on the wastegate actuator arm. So not too sure if its a gasket aswell as the turbine wheel or if the gasket is cracked causing a failure? Will have to pull it out to see.

What happens when you increase the turbo size? Sorry not so mechanically sound as of yet. Using the ESM manual to work my way around the car.

Last edited:
Go to big and it will be as laggy as a 1980's old turbo'd car.

From memory, the GT2560RS is a good size.

Take too long to spool up? Yeah Im not into big performance for this car (to thrash it ect), Id rather use the whole car than brute force to make my way around tracks ect.

Any chance of some links?

Depression setting in....

Highflowing a turbo sounds relatively cheap? Will I need to tune it afterwards, Im guessing a yes.

Money is an issue due to still being on apprentice wages. Totally fked now, looks like bake beans and stolen eggs for dinner for a few months haha!

Last edited:
I think hi-flowing a standard turbo is about a $1000. If yours has crapped itself it can't be hi-flowed without being fixed first.

The link i posted earlier has a replacement turbo complete for about $850.

Other quotes i've seen from Nissan are around $2000 for a complete turbo.

There's a few threads in the D22 Engine section on turbo options, check em out.

There was a post last week about needing a new turbo, memory says it was $1600 from nissbits for genuine complete turbo

Yeah I've read most of the threads on the turbos. Completly forgot about Nizzbits will send him an email. If you buy a bigger turbo would that be almost the same result as high flowing the original? Due to it only being on the rear side my turbo doesn't seem too bad to be fixed at the moment

Edit: Just found this bad boy

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HT12-19B...ccessories&hash=item1c20ab2a12#ht_2951wt_1396

Is the standard turbo the HT12?

Last edited:
Well after a bit more research and help from some phone calls I found the problem ( I hope)

The EGR tube that runs behind the engine and to the exhaust manifold has broken. Located at the exhaust manifold side the weld that holds the tube into its like housing to bolt onto the manifold has completely cracked off.

This led to the no power as the turbo wasnt spinning and the rattle I heard in the exhaust was actually the pipe rattling in and out of the housing. I only heard the noise from inside the cab and it sounded at my feet so I thought it was the Turbo's turbine blades in the exhaust.

Finding the break only happened when I stuck my hand in from one side of the pipe and followed it the whole way around the engine pulling it from the right angle and it just popped straight out.

Going to get it welded back together whilst I order some new gaskets and the pipe itself. Hope it fixes it!!

Also got told the ZD30 blows either piston 3 or 4 quite often! :( $14k for a new engine!
I think the patrol is worse off and leaking injectors will also cause a hotspot on the piston head and shit goes from there. Definitely going to install a catch can as all the soot and shit that goes back into the intake is unbelievable! After servicing the injectors and seeing the shit in the two pipes that go over the rocker cover ( dunno what their called) Im worried alot about the amount of crap.

Latest posts

Back