Steering wheel paint is bubbling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. My current "fix" involves a piece of adhesive vinyl (plain black) cut to shape around the cruise control switches. However recently, I have noticed that the surround for the power window switches is starting to look a little shabby and could use some help.

2008 model that has only cracked 83,000km....I would have liked a finish that lasted a bit longer, but it is what it is...

I've had my steering wheel panels replaced under warranty because of the poor quality finish and they're bubbling again. Just under 110K km on her now, and I am thinking it'll have to be painted too.

As far as paint colours go, I wouldn't care if the the colour matched the dash's brown, as long as it was a consistent colour and texture.

Follow up on previous posts ... I cracked the shits with the crappy paint on the steering wheel today & figured I'd have a bit of an experiment.

Disclaimer first:
No it isn't perfect.
No I didn't remove the steering wheel or airbag to achieve this result.
Yes I think it's better than the pealing nonsense that was there.
Could it be better? Yes
What did it cost to achieve? Nothing beyond an hour of perseverance and car cleaning products.
Do the cruise controls still work? Yes.

Essentially the result below involved using thinners, 800/1500 wet and dry & autosol metal polish. It's nothing more than the bare plastic with a relatively high polish (that isn't finished yet).

20130304_183044_zpsa9a01e72.jpg

20130304_183051_zps50301dd4.jpg

figured I'd throw these up for those with some free time & not wanting to pay through the nose for replacement parts that will peal all over again.

And ... it was free. :dancing2:

Back