So my car is flagged as "restricted warranty"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farry84

Reaction score
Just got told that my car has been flagged by Nissan Australia that it is "restricted warranty" due to being highly modified. I bought the car when it was less than 12 months old and was standard save for a bullbar.

So my question is what constitutes highly modified in Nissan's eyes? When i spoke to the dealership that i purchased it from regarding the alleged modifications, they told me that they were not aware of any modifications save for the bullbar.

They have also said that they will need.my car for an "unspecified period of time" to try to fix my cruise control after it being back twice already and they still cant fix it (it has not been working for over 2 months since i first asked them to look at it). The dealership has offered to give me a nissan pulsar while they look at mine though (how generous😠).

Sounds like I am in for an interesting 2 years until the factory warranty expires 😠

What do you have? Tell us all a little more.. I'm curious as to what other mods have been done to your truck.
I'm sitting at nissan now waiting for them to finish a service.. I'm waiting to hear something similar when i pick up my keys, ive been in a couple times to see how it's going for time and the three people in the office all look at me and then the service manager like ' when are you going to tell him'

hahahah thats funny!!!!

Dont stress, if they say you cant have warranty on X Y OR Z
ask them to prove how that modification has caused they fault to occur!

Manning im the same, But mostly because i call the service manager to book it in.
ive had my fair share or arguments with them over things.

The dealer ship doesnt say BO about warranty as they have to go through nissan head office. Its what they TELL head office about the fault you need to worry about.....

Thats just it, it is a 2014 D40 ST 4x4. The only non factory accessories are an Xrox bullbar, snorkle and a UHF radio. They commented that they think the suspension is a bit high and I suspect that it might have some spacers on the front stuts but that is it. It still even has the factory tyres on it.

I know the previous owner was a service manager for BMW so did the servicing at BMW, so the only time it would have seen the inside of a Nissan Service department would be on a warranty claim. Maybe I should ask for a printout of all warranty claims the car has had.....

You deserve what you get. Using a UHF radio will upset the radiator coolant and make it ferment, which will cause a rush of Irish immigrants trying to steal carbonated green coolant for their next St Patricks Day booze-up.

Oh ok, let's be serious. I call BS on the whole thing - if they can't say "your modification caused this to fail" then unless it's a wear-and-tear issue, they MUST warrant the item. Sound to me like it's time to see another dealer.

I have heard this service department does not have a very good reputation however as they have started work on the car I have to keep taking it to them until it is fixed. Wont be going back though!

This whole cruise control saga has been beyond a joke. When I first took the car in to be fixed, they told me it was a "clock spring" and to bring it back in a week. Then took the car back to have the Clock Spring installed only to be told that there was a further problem and that they will have to order the part in. I was told three due dates for the part to arrive in Australia, then on the fourth occasion when the stealership told me that they could no longer give me an estimated date of arrival for the part because "Nissan had taken the due date off the system" I called Nissan Australia and ripped them a new one - the part magically arrived 2 days later to be fitted.

Now they are telling me that there is a fault in the wiring somewhere between the steering wheel and the computer and that they are going to have to start tracing wires and possibly replace the computer. I told them that when I drop it off next time I will not be collecting it until it is fixed (along with the other problems) so they have agreed to give me a Nissan Pulsar as a loan car while mine is in the service department - a bloody Pulsar!!!!! I spose I should be greatful that they are giving me a loan car however I did have a holiday planned up on Fraiser Island - maybe I can see how a Pulsar goes on the beach......

Oh, and to top it all off, when the car was returned today they had not programmed the anti-hijack unlocking. When I called to ask how to reset it I was told that the D40's dont do this - it's in the F**king manual!!!! But guess what, cant program the unlocking - just something else they have f**ked up while the car was there.

To toggle anti-hijack mode, press and hold both lock and unlock buttons on your keyfob for 5 seconds.

I don't know how a dealership can employ someone that knows so little about the cars they're being relied upon to be expert in. Sadly, we know that does happen - because for some people, it's just a job.

replace the cruise control cancel switch on the brake pedal that's the upper one with 2 wires
connected by plug about $50 from Nissan.Had the same problem can be intermittent fault.

To toggle anti-hijack mode, press and hold both lock and unlock buttons on your keyfob for 5 seconds.

I don't know how a dealership can employ someone that knows so little about the cars they're being relied upon to be expert in. Sadly, we know that does happen - because for some people, it's just a job.

ANit hijack ???

ANit hijack ???
Keeps the passenger doors locked unless you press the remote twice to unlock them all. Designed so someone can't jump in through another door when stopped in traffic, etc.

A lot of new autos have a similar thing, except they lock the doors when the transmission is moved out of park and won't unlock unless the engine stops (in case of an accident) or you put the shifter back into park.

Well I have resolved the cruise control issue and got to the bottom of my restricted warranty. The short story, the cruise control issue was due to an open circuit in the Body Control Module - $1,800 later I now have cruise control.

As for the warranty issue, turns out the previous owner submerged the car and then tried to claim warranty. Nissan claims that there was a video of what happened and that the car was being used beyond it's intended function and therefore have voided the factory warranty. Great experience after buying a car that was less than 12 months old!!!!!!

No, bout the car second hand from a Jeep dealership but they have nissan in the group. I didnt have to pay anything as the dealership had to cover it as n it was not working when i bought the car so was within the statutory warranty period

Take it back to where you bought it and tell them your in contact with a lawyer.
They should not have sold it to you without telling you if it's history and voided warranty.

If it was from a dealer then they have alot to loose. If it was private I'd be pushing for a refund or compensation, d40's are great cars but do need the warranty from time to time

Latest posts

Back