Show us your Plasti Dip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at picking up some Plasti Dip to do my D40 rims and it got me thinking.
What have you guys Plasti Dipped?

Grille, side mirrors (STX).

ForumRunner_20150120_132608.jpg

Removed it. 4 screw clips up top, and a few odd ones in the grille face (square shaped with a groove for a flathead screwdriver. Quick twist and they pop out). Then 3 bastard clips at the back which can be a pain to get undone and it comes off.

Whatever you do, do not lay it on thick. I did 8 thin powder coats with ample drying time in between. Year and a half later, only 3 TINY chips overall (grille and mirrors) only due to branches hitting them.

Contrary to Cobez I was advised to lay on a light coat first to to provide grip and then several thick layers on top. Supposedly to make removal easier, in saying that seems like both methods have held up well and I noticed each layer 'melts' into the last. I used four cans for the wheels, had some left over and done some badges. Just took the pics so about 12 months old and still holding strong. I rate this stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Silly phone only lets me put one pic in each post :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 238
Contrary to Cobez I was advised to lay on a light coat first to to provide grip and then several thick layers on top. Supposedly to make removal easier, in saying that seems like both methods have held up well and I noticed each layer 'melts' into the last. I used four cans for the wheels, had some left over and done some badges. Just took the pics so about 12 months old and still holding strong. I rate this stuff.

did you take the badges off? If so how and how did you put them back on?

I too have heard of this method. And yes it definantly melts layer into layer. It's actually very easy stuff to work with.

did you take the badges off? If so how and how did you put them back on?

Nope just gave em a good clean and light polish, masked a rectangle around giving about a 10mm gap then sprayed away. I didn't clean the surrounding panel so it didn't stick as much. The beauty of this stuff it just peels off. Best results are with a straight edge to remove hence the tape, when peeling Plasti dip it will break along edges so your left with it on the badge and not the panel, I'm picky so a little clean up with a tooth pick in the gap left behind the badge by adhesive and hey presto black badges.

I do remember a mate spending a small fortune to get black badges for his HSV lol.

If you want to remove this type of badge though I always used a thin small string or tooth floss. Use it like a survival saw behind the badge and clean up with big keys goo remover or the like.
To put them back on good old double sided table always done the trick, the outdoor grade stuff held up for years after I repainted a car.

Jezz,

Those badges look mint!
How are the rims holding up? And how do they go with brake dust?
That is the main reason i am looking at doing my rims, its so damn hard to keep up with the brake dust these pads put out.

Cheers mate.

The wheels are holding up fine, a bit of peeling in the wheel nut holes from being rough when rotating tyres but no chips from driving, brake dust isn't much of an issue I wash them with CT18 and pressure I'm not sure how wheel cleaner will react with the Plasti dip. They hang onto dust now though might be caused by static being all insulated now I'm guessing. I done mine for the same reasons, and painted the alloy on the side steps, polished looks nice but I also hate cleaning.

Did my badges 3 years or more ago. Gone a bit dull but no scratches. I actually forget I've done them it's been on so long. No special treatment.
Light first coat is critical to give it something to bond to. Several heavier coats to build it up. Bit of trial and error as it's so easy to strip and start again.
Also works well on bulbar indicator surrounds once the factory newness has worn off and they look flat.

Back