Servicing costs and extended warranty.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUFFD40

Reaction score
Hi guys, was just havering a look at the cost of servicing on a TD D40 at the 40,000k mark and almost fell off my chair! I believe it's around the 1000 mark. I believe nissan major is every 40k I find that abit excessive as I know my brothers sr5 is $170 capped and major is done at 150k!

Do I have to service at nissan to keep my factory warranty or is there a cheaper alternative while keeping factory warranty?? And how much does extended factory warranty usually cost and what would that include?

Thanks in advance Luke.

No you don't for standard warranty, get it serviced anywhere.

Extended warranty because it's an agreement you sign, not something they have to provide, will have terms and conditions and usually one of those terms is that it's dealer serviced. Extended warranty is about piece of mind, however don't think for a second that it's a guarantee that Nissan will fix anything while there are some here who have made use of the extended warranty there are plenty who were stung not getting the protection they thought they had.

As for services, the 40K isn't really a major but they charge like it's one. It's not until 80K or 100K they do the coolant and although they suggest the fuel filter needs replacing at 40K I still wouldn't call that a major, I did mine for about $220 in parts when I last did it. Just be aware of the differences in parts, no idea bout the newer models but there was 3 different fuel filters for the 09 STX, if you are buying your own parts or a private mech is doing it for you make sure they know the exact model and get the right parts.

Thanks for the quick reply! To be safe I might check with nissan to ensure my warranty normal or extended is not voided, as I have a family 4x4 mechanic who I deeply trust but am worried that nissan in the long run won't look after me if something goes wrong due to not servicing the vehicle with them.

It's a risk we all take when not getting serviced through a dealer but there is no guarantee that just because you have your car dealer serviced it will automatically be accepted in any warranty claim. No dealer or manufacturer is going to accept an expensive bill if they can avoid it, some argue it's easier for them to get out of it if an independent mech is involved but it's just not the case, if a manufacturer wants to make it hard they will.

Extended Warranty is a different barrel of monkeys, don't even trust a dealer to tell you whats in those things because chances are they have no idea, it's written by legal boofheads with legal words so it stands up in court and the ultimate goal is to protect the person/company who wrote it not the owner. Read it yourself and make sure you know what's in it, anything you don't understand ask a car salesman and laugh at their reply.

1. You will not void your factory warranty if you have you vehicle serviced by a suitably qualified mechanic. Make sure they stamp / fill out your log book!

2. Extended warranty is bollox. I wouldn't trust any additional dealer contract if I was you.

Thanks for your feedback! I believe 800, 900 hundred for a 40k service is excessive, if I'm able to take it to my own mechanic stamped books ect and keep factory warranty, and I think ile take your advice and screw the extended warranty (1200 mark) probably save me around 2k that way.

I was just under the impression if I ran into clutch, injector, trimming chain problems and I serviced though nissan with extended warranty I would be more or less safe...

you dont have to use gen parts..there are many legal cases and fair trading sites all stipulate that you dont.

Technically you can service your own car without even being qualified because it's your car so yes even non genuine parts are fine and as long as the book is followed. If worst comes to worst Nissan are going to try their hardest to get out of a warranty but even they know they have to have proof that the labour was the reason for the warranty and not just blame them because their name is in the book.

Ripp off

Grand Nissan in Reynella SA can do a book service in 1 hour, at least that's what it says in the poster in the service department. $1000 bucks in an hour, for what? A joke!!!! Took then a hour and a half to change over the stuffed indicators in my bull bar and they forgot to put the globes in, funny as!!!! Any RAA approved mechanic can stamp the service book in your car and its warrantied. My 40,000k service cost me $350 including parts from a deisel mechanic at Marion who used to work at Nissan as a mechanic.

I'd be dubious of any mechanic who says they can do any service in an hour. Sure the minor services are pretty much just an oil change and replace the oil filter but all the checks take time and anyone doing it by the book would be hard pressed to check everything in the book properly and change the oil in under an hour. It doesn't take much longer than an hour but we all know how these pricks charge and they don't give you a minute for nothing.

Oh maybe you've found the only dealer mechanic honest enough to admit they don't do all the checks in the books.

I got my 40,000km service done by my mechanic. I obtained ALL genuine parts from the Nissan Parts section at the dealer which included air filter, air con filter, fuel filter, genuine Nissan 10w-40 diesel engine oil (trade pack which includes 3 bottles of 5L), oil filter. I then went to Supercheapauto and grabbed some Valvoline oils for the transfer case, front and rear diffs. Took it all to the mechanic and total price was $600 for the service and cost to me to provide all above parts. The log book has been stamped by authorised mechanic using all genuine parts and managed to save around $350 compared to the price of the capped price service at Nissan.

my 40 k from nissan was $890
my mechanic done the same 40k log book service for $560
using all genuine parts and lube and stamped book
extended wty isnt worth the paper its written on
nissan YOU SUCK

1. You will not void your factory warranty if you have you vehicle serviced by a suitably qualified mechanic. Make sure they stamp / fill out your log book!

2. Extended warranty is bollox. I wouldn't trust any additional dealer contract if I was you.

I agree with your Point 1 but totally disagree with Point 2. If you have the Nissan factory extended warranty it is EXACTLY the same as the initial warranty. I've now had 2 x claims on the extended warranty...one for a starter motor and the other to replace the steering shroud around the cruise control buttons.

Re - those "capped" services pushed by Toyota....I think they are doing nothing other than a quick check and an oil change - why? Because they simply cannot be covering costs let alone make a profit with a $170 charge - Don't believe me? Then take a walk down to a random selection of 4x4 mechanics and ask them - for goodness sake the hourly rate for mechanics these days ranges from $90 to $120....

$90-120 sounds about right because I'm sure I saw on a mates bill recently that the local Nissan/Yota dealershit are charging $175 p/h for the mech.

i have a friend with a hilux who's turbo was leaking oil, the local dealership first tried to tell them that it's normal.... but her husband is a fitter who normally works on locos but he's done all their servicing on the vehicle.
they then tried to pull the card that it's not been serviced by a qualified person.
he took down his trade certificate and asked them what more proof they need.
suffice to say the turbo was fixed under warranty, however this whole process took a few months to get sorted...
grass isn't always greener!
dealers are there to make a profit, if they can do it and maintain their customer service, that's great, just seems that most aren't capable of that.

Latest posts

Back