running on kero

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
i have read a few articles recently about small piston engine planes being converted from petrol to diesel engines. the diesels are converted to run on aviation kerosene(jet A-1) as used in jet and turboprop engines. curious to know what needs to be changed to run a diesel engine on kero.
unlike petrol(91-98), diesel and kero fuel have an octane rating of between (15-25), so could you run your diesel on kero if you had to, say in an emergency?

nothing needs to be changed a diesel will run on kero.
BUT......kero has no lube in it so even watering diesel down with it will stuff up your injection pump and injectors.

you might find that the plane guys would be adding some sort of lube oil to the kero.
buggered if i would want to fly a plane with a converted engine running on home brew fuel !

i add about 100ml/ litre of 2 stroke (lately its left over 20w50 from my honda i don't own any longer) to my jet A1, as stated the jet fuel is 'drier' than deisel, however the kero won't hurt the engine - lube is for injector pump and injectors and some would argue that the jet engines i work on have a high pressure gear type pump that jacks the fuel pressure up to 2500 psi or so and they don't wear out, and that the new ultra low sulpher deisel is just as bad

keep in mind i am using the 'waste' fuel from work (not allowed to put it back in the plane when we take it out) and i run it pretty much straight, as do several ppl i work with

yes there is a noticeable decrease in power and the engine sounds more rattley (due to the differences in the way kero burns, starts ignition later and burns slower) but its fine for burnin around town

have a read of this http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=255384

i add about 100ml/ litre of 2 stroke (lately its left over 20w50 from my honda i don't own any longer) to my jet A1, as stated the jet fuel is 'drier' than deisel, however the kero won't hurt the engine - lube is for injector pump and injectors and some would argue that the jet engines i work on have a high pressure gear type pump that jacks the fuel pressure up to 2500 psi or so and they don't wear out, and that the new ultra low sulpher deisel is just as bad

keep in mind i am using the 'waste' fuel from work (not allowed to put it back in the plane when we take it out) and i run it pretty much straight, as do several ppl i work with

yes there is a noticeable decrease in power and the engine sounds more rattley (due to the differences in the way kero burns, starts ignition later and burns slower) but its fine for burnin around town

have a read of this http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=255384

so you are running waste kero in your car, and just adding 2st oil. how much fuel do you add the 100ml to, and is ok in either DI and CRD engines,
the latest article i read had the original diesel engines disscontinued due to relliabily issues and a new jetA1 compatible diesel engine designed specifically for this plane
we used to burn contaminated, ie, (exposed to atmosphere) jetA1 fuel for our fire training drills(aviation fireman), but it is now banned by the EPA.

i run it straight in my d40 with about 100ml of oil (2 stroke or whatever i have handy) to 10 litres of kero, had a mate that had a 1970 era vw rabbit that went 20 years with never seeing a deisel pump and that was run straight with no oil, a mate had a non crd bravo and it wasn't bothered by the kero, another guy at work is puttin in his brand new great wall d240 at a 50/50 mix, its not a problem, so there is more than a few people out there doing it, that being said i am the only one i know of that is putting more or less straight kero in a common rail engine, but there hasn[t been any problem as yet

and when i say waste it is only the fuel that has been drained from aircraft, it may have a bit of water in it, but thats easy to see, the fuel that goes into the aircraft is filtered several times so its way more than adequate for my truck

bosses theory is this,

you can get airbp to pump it out, but they charge you for it, or you can drain it out and pay to get it removed and disposed of, again it costs money, and as you say the airport fireies don't want it because we won't and can't guarantee it is only jet fuel, and their safety systems say they can't use it to practice puttin out fires (if thats not beauracracy gone wrong i don't know what is), so the boss is more than happy for this waste fuel dissappear without it costing him money

A lot of people I know who work at airports have a diesel for that reason alone, free fuel. the practice was to use bio diesel that people use from cooking oil waste and mix it in with the Jet A1. it lubes the pump and regains some of the lost power that occurs with Jet A1 . I would not recommend it in a common rail engine

Latest posts

Back