Ridge ryder winch install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
Hey guys yesterday i install my cheap super cheap auto winch lol .

It cost me about 300 bucks and it was meant for my d22 but now its on the d40 anyway there was some problems i had to over come and things to note i guess for other people.

I recommend changing the bolts anyway better safe than sorry.

Ok so once i had the winch mounted i started to think where am i going to put the control box i no i need to get to it easy i don't have a wireless remote but it also has to be out of the way from water and mud so i wanted to mount it on the bull bar like i have seen others .

There was some holes at the top of my arb bar witch looked like where going perfect for the control box but i was wrong the cables that came out of the control box did not line up with the holes so i made the holes bigger and got it to fit .

But there was another problem in doing that the cables did not reach the winch, ridge ryder want to mount the control box on top on the winch, but it would not be easy for me to get to it under the bull bar and bash plate .another thing is i have big light force lights going on the bullbar making it almost impossible to get to .

So i got more cable unscrewed the control box and made the cables longer to reach the winch hooked it up to the battery and it work so all good so far bit of mucking around but i ended up with what i wanted in the end i no its a cheap winch but even if it saves me once i think its worth it .

Here are some pics i took pics while i was doing but found out that my girlfriend took the sd card out of my camera so i only have after pics sorry guys.

IMG_2526.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE INSTALLING OR JUST SOME THINGS TO THINK ABOUT CHEERS

Last edited:
Why did you get a plate made??
Didnt it have the holes in the bar like every other ARB winch bar has had for the last 10+ years, the holes that you used to bolt the fairlead on are two of them, then there should of been two more just above them

the plate was to hold the winch in place ? iv never seen a winch install on a arb bull bar so it could of been the last 20 years. there may of been holes there or something that could of made is easy for me i wouldn't no but iv done it the way i have done it .

also just coz there holes there nothing to hold the winch? so i dont no.

You can roll the winch on its side and the bolts that go through the fairlead rollers also go into the winch. Basically where you have bolted the plate onto the winch you could of used those holes in the winch to line up with the holes in your bar.
Thats why the bar has two layers of steel at the opening where the roller fairlead is bolted on

Id think is should be stronger directly on the bar too as the force would be pulling the winch into the bar, not trying to pull it off its mountings (shear force on bolts).

Mate, I was just wondering how the winch was and if you have used it in a recovery yet?. I had a Ridge Ryder from Super Cheap on my Patrol ute. Used it once and it performed great and the patrol was a lot heavier than my D40. I am thinking the same as you, if it saves me just ONCE, it's done it's job. Have you ever been stuck in the middle of NOWHERE , and I meen S T U C K? You would pay someone $300 bucks to pull you out!. They have the 12000lb version on special at the moment for about $400, and I'm thinking.........
Cheers

mate if i was you id get the tigerz11 winch not that Ridge Ryder they are around the same price and the tigerz11 iv herd alot of good things .. i got my winch too soon before the tigerz11 store oped down the road from me but if this one ends up blowing up or something ill get the tigerz11 winch .. (my thoughts anyway)

it has saved me once already did a good job

Iv had one in my d22 in tassie now for 2 years, Been in some thick west coast bogs stuck fast and deep, and the winch has pulled me out each time! The speed isant super fast, but id rather come out slow then not at all! and using a snatch block to share the load on the real stuck bogs, the thing hasent missed a beat! I put some dyneema rope on it to make it lighter and hard wired in the hand control cable to a 3 way switch in the cabin, adding a wireless remote with a isolator to the solenoide as well (its hard to control the winch smoothly with the remote so for sensitive winching i use the in cab switch).
Love it so far. Iv got to get to it and give it a service soon, re-grease ect coz I havent litrally toutched it for the 2 years its been on and iv been in salt and fresh water, mud, dust and all sorts of nastys tassie has to offer and its never missed a beat. So Id say I got one that was built mid week!

Latest posts

Back