Replacing the D40 - suggestions?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighaty7

Reaction score
I have a MY2010 D40 dual cab that I want to replace at the end of this year.
I'm after suggestions on what to replace it with.
It's a topic that's probably been asked plenty, and the Navara site is not a place to get a balanced answer.
I've been happy with the D40 - it's powerful enough, no problems at all, but it's a little soft, I'd like something tougher. I load it up a lot, often grossing 2.8-2.9t (carrying 600-700kg weight) and I think considering that the engine has done well dragging that around. With that weight I've had to add a 300kg lift to it as the bum was dragging a bit.
I'm going to consider a Patrol or DMax. I think Hilux would be ok but a little too much for the little gain.
I like to carry gear in the back, so I have to have a canopy, but considering a tray and putting an XL cab on the back.
What to others out there think?
Any tradies or serious off-roaders have a workhorse they're happy with?

Also, there'll be about 150,000km on the clock when I sell this - anyone interested? What's the thoughts on that mileage on this type of vehicle - sellable?

(MY2010 ST D40 Navara dual cab 6sp, steel bullbar, 3t towbar, canopy with side-lift windows, full length roof racks cab and canopy - loved)

I've had a Triton , their just as soft as you put it , the d-max , BT-50 , Hilux and Ranger would be much the same , don't know much about the Amarock , if you really want that much tougher your going to have to look at a Patrol or a land cruiser , the cruiser now makes a duel cab , but accessorised your not going to get change out of 100+ k

If you really need a tough ute then you've only a few choices (as per steve): patrol ute, landcruiser ute or build yours up!

He bought a Jeep?

I've been looking around at a LOT of 4WDs lately with an eye to something that may not necessarily tow or carry the same load as my Navara, but might be more capable than my Navara.

And it's quite hard to find something in the small-car range that's diesel that has a low range gearbox - the Suzuki Grand Vitara comes out alone there, but doesn't have an auto in the diesel. It would have the shortest wheelbase of all of them (so has the best ramp-over) and has more than enough power for its weight but on a steep incline - and particularly if it's been lifted - the thing could end-over-end on you. Much harder to do with a Navara.

You can lift your D40 up to 125mm which really helps off-road (needs engineers cert tho). Chip the engine, lock the front and rear diffs, add some sliders and some underbody protection. For less $ than a new car you keep the car that you KNOW is ok, add a whole shitload of ability to it and still get to carry the loads you need to carry.

It's an option, anyway.

Ok, people wont believe this, but i think the late model D40 with a lift is more then capable as it now has traction control, which thanks to another member i recently learned is to all four wheels and not just the rear as nissan mossvale told me.
Any way with the traction control and a desent lift the D40 really surprises me, last weekend and the one before i have been out with my mate in his 80 series and his 60 series and the nav has got places his would not go.
Im not sure if people are familiar with the "powerlines" and the "pipe line" track at ZigZag around lithgow but they are sections to those tracks i looked at and said no way will the Nav get up this,,, BUT to both my and my mates astonishment the bloody thing made the lot and in a couple of spots my mates 80 did not and he can steer the thing really well but it has no lockers so altho the D40 is IFS with the help of the "traction control" it is awesome and allot more capable the my 2010 ST ever was.

Also in three weeks my mate broke three CV's, two in the 80 series and one in the 60 series climbing hills that my D40 had just done. The D40 come home sweet and went to work the next day and my mate stumble home and pulled the yotas apart.
Dont get me wrong im not saying the D40 is the Strongest thing getting around but i dont believe its as bad as people make out and i also believe that if anyone wants to come out wheeling with me im sure they will see im not scared to have a go at stuff friends just drive around and dont even attempt. what i mean by that is, that im not just driving up a few dirt tracks and thinking im doing some sort of really hard 4x4 driving, i do use my D40 to try most tracks and if it breaks it breaks and i will fix it when it does, in saying that i dont go out trying to break it either.

Now Im a roofer and my ute gets a work out during the week by caring all sorts of stuff and towing trailers with cherrie pickers or box trailers full of sand or tiles or the roof stacked with fascia and gutter and 6m long ally planks or dozens of sheets of corro.
As for the Hilux, BT50, D-max or any other DC being tougher i think that is a MYTH and i also dont see how if you are looking at DUAL CAB UTES how the Patrol comes into the equation.

You could also include the Landrover DC into the mix along with the Landcruiser DC other then that the D40 is as good if not better then the others at this point in time IMO

Last edited:
If people want to carry around a constant load then you will need to UPGRADE the suspension on any ute you buy, its just that simple. There isnt a ute on the market inc the D22 that you can drive out the door and whack 300kg in it and leave it there and then expect it not to sag, its just not going to happen no matter what brand it is, Maybe in the old days but not in the modern era

If people want to carry around a constant load then you will need to UPGRADE the suspension on any ute you buy, its just that simple. There isnt a ute on the market inc the D22 that you can drive out the door and whack 300kg in it and leave it there and then expect it not to sag, its just not going to happen no matter what brand it is, Maybe in the old days but not in the modern era
I agree my 89 d21 used to carry 1 tonne but the 2013 22 400kg and it was stuffed zordo fixed all my problems and made the thing a bit more car like.

i agree with what the others have said, if you want something more aggressive out of the box you will need to go a patrol or cruiser, otherwise the dmax is worth a look, have heard the amarok is suffering electrical issues like most VW's but reality suggests most 4wd twin cab utes are much a muchness.

Sounds like I'll look at the Dmax or another Navara and with the money I save, I'll beef them up a bit.
Keeping this car is not an option - it's a false economy to keep pouring money into a 150,000km vehicle. Need to sell it while it's worth something and start again.
I have been attracted to Patrol. They sound tough, but the dual cab is a must - I need secure, lockable and weather proof area for sensitive equipment.
I was a bit disappointed with the Nav as I did my research and knew the specs of the D40 said it's carry capacity was 900kg - there was no way that saggy ass would carry 900kg. Like I said, at 600kg puts me at the limit of its legal gross (2900kg).
Thanks for your input guys. I notice no one commented on it's value for resale or any interest. Are these fetching much? Is there any call for D40's second hand - without giving it away?

Dual cab Cruiser and get the GVM upgrade and suspension mods BEFORE its registered.

my 08 twin cab manual diesel D40 knocked off with 108,000 klms on the clock. without accessories, suggested about $25k

My opinion is that all the dual cabs (navara, hilux, ranger etc) are toys when compared to the more "industrial" utes (cruiser, patrol, defender). Just depends on what you want it to acheive, All vehicles are a compromise, you just need to prioritise your requirements and see which one ticks the most boxes, then unfortunately you may need to spend the extra $ to get it how you want, which is where you unfortunately lose money.

I would say that behind Toyota Nissan would have the next resale value. I get to drive a hilux and a landcruiser everyday as well as my NAV. Lets face it landcruiser and patrol tough,reliable, payload,upgrades they have almost everything. Except fuel economy and your bells n whistles. My last 3 farm uses have been navara, triton & navara. I like the ability to do everything within reason and I'd get another d40 any day. Or you could almost buy 2 d40s for the price of a new landcruiser dual cab.

The Hilux is piss poor off road now days (they used to be king !!), my d22 kills my mates hilux off road but as others have said all the regular 4x4 dual cabs are much of a muchness except Landcruiser dual cab and Defender dual cab, I do wish Patrol came in dual cab, I'd have one.

I agree with nathan the new ones arent to bad with traction control, their only big let down is clearance (even when lifted) and front over hang with bullbars installed.

I agree with nathan the new ones arent to bad with traction control, their only big let down is clearance (even when lifted) and front over hang with bullbars installed.

Your not wrong about the front overhang, my mates call the nav "MR Plough" :thefinger:
I actually hit the front left corner of my bar on a rock step and bent the main bracket the bar is mounted to, now the bar sits outside the guard on one side and inside the guard on the other. I can replace the bracket for $90 at ARB so im not too worried, BUT you do have to be mindful of the "mr plough" effect :sarcastic:

"Mr Plow" is spot on, up in the high country i was expecting to plow into the errosion bank heading down hill haha. Although we are alot better off then a amorok.

I had a dual cab defender 130. Tough as nails, and could tow and carry a heap!!

I rated it very highly, but my Mrs thought it was too big :confused2:

Never had any real issues with it, a fuel pump, and thats it.
A defender could be an option for you, they take a bit to get used too, but they are awesome.

Latest posts

Back