Ran out of diesel in my new STX - WTF?!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tryharder

Reaction score
Now I thought these things have an 80 litre tank........l

I'm typically getting 10-11 litres per 100 km. the fuel light generally comes on around 600kms and even when I do another 50 Kms, it still only takes 65 odd litres to fill the tank which leaves my powers of deduction to leave about 15litres still there.

So what happened today doesn't make sense. Fuel light came on at exactly 600kms. At 620kms it coasted to a stop...... Luckily at the bottom of my street. I didn't think it was diesel so I called roadside assistance. I went home and grabbed a Jerry can anyway, walked down and got some diesel ( only just down the road) put in in the car and then old mate turned up. Bled the air with the pump, it fired up. I was adamant it wasn't empty, I just don't get it! I only put 10 litres in it and now the gauge is reading over 1/4 full!!

Could the pickup in the tank have moved? The roadside assist guy said they have had some faulty sender units but that still would not explain running out after only 620kms given what I have been getting?

POS. I can feel a new Ranger coming on. :devil:

was that down hill by any chance?
i wonder if its the old fuel tank problem arising (fuel moving away from pickup when going down hill) or the fuel sender is reading incorrectly.

was that down hill by any chance?
i wonder if its the old fuel tank problem arising (fuel moving away from pickup when going down hill) or the fuel sender is reading incorrectly.

For some reason i parked my D22 downhill on my steepish driveway last night. Had almost quarter tank last night but when i turned it over this morning, fuel light was on. I usually park it uphill. Must be the slope thing.

My garage is level. The 20 Kms I drove around where I live was relatively flat. Maybe the pickup in the tank moved or broke?

I just don't understand only 20kms with the light on of very gentle driving.

I will fill it up soon and see how much it takes.

Very frustrating.

Believe me they are defiantly 80lt tanks. I have squeezed 76lt in but never run out luckily!!
having said that i have run out just after reaching the bottom of a long steep hill. and strangely enough after putting 20lt in on the side of the road it only took 45lt to fill it at the servo not far from where i ran out. So may be tweak'e is onto the problem.

Definitely facing downhill is a problem. Backing my caravan up my drive on only a slight incline the car stalled (out of fuel) unhooked the van pushed the car back onto the road which was level. I primed the pump and started the car no worries, let it idle for a bit to make sure it was going to continue running then drive down to fuel up (about 3km away). Put in about 73 ltrs from memory.

The most I have ever got in my 09 was 78.4 litres so if the tank isn't 80 then it's bloody close. However I ran out of diesel a few weeks back and only got 76 litres in the tank at that time, I thought Scangauge was playing up but it reported 3.6 litres left so it was close enough.

I've since decided that less than 4 litres and parked on a hill is not something I want to try again. Last week proved I'd learnt my lesson well because I filled up and put 76.7 in. :big_smile:

gee you guys push it. at least when mine ran out of fuel the gauge was stuck on half way !

i'm wondering if its a return of the old recall/mod of the fuel pickup. i think by memory the mod was to change the return line inside the tank so it pointed more at the pickup.

I've squeezed 77 litres (77.07L to be as precise as a bowser will let me) in March this year.

I've refuelled just as the light comes on - I get about 64 litres in. I've no hesitation driving another 100km if I'm not towing, but I'll only do about 50 if I am towing before my panic button gets uncovered for use.

The fuel sender is towards the rear of the tank. As you accelerate forward (which is the most common direction of travel) the fuel is sent towards the rear of the tank. It makes sense to put the pickup there - it's roughly a third of the way along from the rear of the tank.

Unfortunately because the tank's a long one, the pickup can be uncovered on an incline.

I'm absolutely positive this could happen to almost any other ute. What would be the best way to deal with this is to have a 2-3 litre "header" tank that is shaped something like an inverted cone with the fuel pickup in the bottom. This way, no matter the incline, you're going to get fuel - you'd have to put the thing on its roof to make the fuel stop and that's not a procedure I'd recommend unless your ashtrays were full.

When I was Four wheel driving in the Vic high country once, according to the fuel gauge i had just under a quarter of a tank so no worries i thought. The track we were on had a steady decline which became a little dicey for the nav so i decided to reverse out, the car stalled (out of fuel). I could not roll it or even winch it to level ground. Mate ended up winching it all the way back up!
Lesson No1: the fuel pick up must be at the rear of the tank. so the fuel ran away from it!
Lesson No2:never four wheel drive with a quarter of a tank.

^ We use to go 4wding when we were 18 with a guy in a Surf.

Everytime he went, the fuel light was on.

Never ran out of fuel surprisingly.

ive only ever let my fuel light come on twice and both times i started crapping myself. what do you guys think the average distance you could travel when the light comes on?

That would depend on your economy figures. I know from my SG that my light comes on at 16 litres which under normal conditions would get me atleast 160ks, but if your economy is over 11 obviously that figure has to change.

Which is why what happened to me here is weird. 20 Kms with the light on and then ran out.

I put 10 litres in it and now magically over a quarter of a tank it has! So from apparently having a completely empty tank, 10 litres sure goes a long way!

Something wrong somewhere.

do they still use a resistor type gauge ? so its possible a bit of crap in the fuel could attach where it moves to it causing wrong reading

I finally got around to filling it up.

After the ten litres I put in it to start it again, at the BP (literally 100 meters away) it took 56 litres.

So, all things being equal, and if that tank was dead empty (as the car stopped!) it took 66 litres to fill up.

WTF happened to the the other 14 litres? Is it in a magic compartment in the tank that hides? Which leads me to think that maybe the pickup in the tank just ain't doing its job and has moved or broken.

Hiho, hiho it's off to Nissan service I go.

Latest posts

Back