pulley bearings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesegic29

Reaction score
unfortunately for me one of the pulley bearings on my nav blew ball bearings out when i was at the boat ramp in eildon, it's the one with the tensioner on it,

gave no warning, there was no squeak, or noise to give a sign that it was failing, just happened, when i heard it go i turned the engine off as quick as i could then inspected the engine bay, F*&K:pissedoff:

so 3pm Sunday both me and my mate thinking what the hell we should do, we both have work Monday morning and i still had the boat at the boat ramp...

checked the belt, it was half way on, so decided to drive the boat down to my uncle's holiday house in eildon (about 5k's) and leave it there...

checked belt again, still on at this point, so headed for the service station in eildon that has a mechanic work shop attached, missed them by 5min they closed at 3:30:pissedoff:

only options we had was either leave the nav up there for the week and sort it out next weekend and catch the vLine back to Melbourne or drive the 2.5 hours back to berwick.

so decided to risk it and drive, only because we had already missed the last vline service, and we just wanted to get home, so we left from eildon, checked belt at Alexandra, buxton, healsville, woori yallock and cockatoo, and in pakenham belt gave way at a set of lights...

so left the nav at a relatives house in pakenham so that was the end of my good weekend of 4wding, and catching some ripper trout out of lake eildon...

so just a few questions
my mechanic is in cranbourne would it be a bad idea to drive the nav the 20min drive from where it is to him it's mainly freeway and 80km zones so don't think cooling will be an issue, i drove about 10mins in traffic with out it on,
or should i attempt to put a knew belt on with the stuffed pulley for the short journey, or tow it,

and would anyone know of a rough price for a new pulley, with installation, i've researched that the hydraulic tensioner assembly is quiet expensive and just hoping the pulley only needs replacing

I have done mine twice now, the get mud in and it kills the bearing. DO NOT DRIVE IT!!! The water pump is driven by the belt so you won't have any water flowing around the motor. Off the top of my head the last time I had it done cost me about $600. The pulley and tentioner are about $400 from Nissan.

OK i ended up towing the Ute to another mechanic that was closer...
and i had the whole tensioner pulley replaced, so with a new belt and labour with that it came to $585, which is a pain in my bum

and on top of that he tells me that the air conditioning compressor bearing is going and a new genuine replacement will cost me $1088 + labour

and that it could let go anytime from 2km to 1000km and when it does could stuff the tensioner pulley that i just replaced....

so on to more questions

is $1088 expensive for the new compressor and/or
can i just replace the bearing in it instead

Back