Only Happens in 4 Low

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the problem on the weekend whilst offroad. It's annoying but not a huge issue. Just skipped 4th most of the time as 4-5 isn't a huge jump. Else I went back to high.

Surely there are enough of us having the issue for Nissan to do something. Or maybe most navara drivers don't flick the switch :)

Mine does the same, no idea why, Nissan says they dont know, must be a fuel issue with the engine management system....

I would love to get it sorted out tho, it is the only problem I have with my wagon, otherwise it kicks arse!

I was thinking about this the other day and this post reminded me.

What happens if you're stopped, in 4LO and you drop it into neutral and hold the revs at 2000 with the accelerator? Does the engine still fluctuate/surge? If so, it would be interesting to find out what the turbo actuator is doing at that point in time. Pop the bonnet, have someone hold the RPM and look at the arm beneath it.

What if you're in 4LO, 4th gear, clutch depressed, holding the RPM at 2000? If it surges then, could the turbo be looked at? I'm just wondering if it's a signal to the turbo that's being confused.

Last, it doesn't know what gear you're in. What if you pull the plug from the gearbox? It's the one slightly forward in the pair on the right hand side of the gearbox. My thinking is that since the gearbox only signals whether it's in gear or not, if you pull that plug, does the surging stop?

So stopped..in 4lo and in 4th...clutch in...no surging.
Cannot check the turbo as i dont have a gogo gadget neck but it might not matter anyway..
Plug pulled from the g/box makes no diffrence.but i do loose my reverse camera and lights
I have been thinking laitly that this ute has always been touchy on the throttle.always seemed not quite right...wondering if 4lo/4th gear/2000-2500 odd revs is just the right speed,revs,torque range and load to show the demons in my electronic accel pedal...would be interesting to swap it out for a spanish one

Wrong plug on the gearbox, pull the other one out. My manual showed the one towards the front was the neutral sender. The one towards the rear should have been the reverse plug.

I reckon this problem is a logic problem. A programmer sneezed at the critical minute and put in a 1 instead of a 0, it's something stupid like that.

As I mentioned, I contacted Nissan Australia and their official line is that it is normal operating procedure, which is interesting, because that implies that Nissan are aware of the issue/situation. It's not a problem, because probelms get fixed.

If this issue occurred in high range, it would have been addressed, but because no one uses low range, well, only the smart ones do, it's just been ignored.

I did see someone had a thai built dual cab that was doing the same...but its seems to be kingcabs....there was somthing about early auto kingcabs drinking the juice like it was free..possible tuning difrences...but why

They do a fair bit of remapping in the U.K..i wonder if a quick reflash would cure it...Can you do a computer swap with a spanish?

Back