oil leak...3 months old WTF??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson25

Reaction score
Ok so i have 2012 D40 ST, only 3 months old, 11,000kms and ive discovered an oil leak that seems to be coming from the rear of the sump?? Small amount of oil on the garage floor tipped me off this afternoon. Will be on the phone to nissan first thing tomorrow to book in to have it looked at. How can a 3 month old car have an oil leak already??

I wouldn't fret to much. It will be a straight forward warantee job. When you think of thousands that are built every year this type of thing is not typical will happen time to time. Just a little unlucky I would say.

Leak at the back of the sump could really be any part of the engine. If its on the tranny too then it could be the rear main. Maybe just a sump gasket. Could be up higher and maybe turbo hoses. Let us know anyway.

Car is booked in for Tuesday.
After closer inspection this morning i have found a small ding in the bottom of the sump. Oil is leaking from around just one side of the sump seal.
Has anyone had something similar happen... Hopping its an easy fix...

A small bump to the sump pan could easily break the gasket seal slightly.
May not be warranty in that case. May test how much good will you have in credit.
Hope its straight forward n simple for you.

Yeah i have a feeling they will not cover it under warranty either... Worth a try at least

Ouch! That put a different light on it. So rather than straight forward, you'll proably have a battle. Be nice be, be polite but stick to your guns.
Likely it was proably caused in transit, the ship, or going on and off the car transporter.
Good luck.

I personally think the first piece of absolutely necessary aftermarket kit for the D40 is a FUG aka a front underbody guard made of at least 3mm steel.

At least nissan now have something we can pull off trace around on 3mm plate, cut and drill and fit ourselves for about 50 bucks, providing you have a drill and grinder lol

Ok so car went im today and nissan said the seal on the sump had broken due to the knock to the bottom of the sump. They re-sealed the sump under warranty... WINNING!
They checked to make sure the sump wasnt bent out of shape at all and all good :)

Pick up brown davis bash plates tomorrow... Should have done this earlier!

Very nice.....
Good on you.
Good service manager, that's a great start.

Which dealer?

Latest posts

Back