not there yet...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c-quence

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for a new work car, and have driven both the st navara and the ford ranger. I like the navara's styling and standard features list more than the ranger but im still not sold either way.

I will be using the car for a lot of highway driving and some remote areas work, which means i need reliability above all else!
Having owned a '95 GQ patrol for 5 years im leaning towards the nissan, but i want to be sure i make the right choice!

Are there any mechanical issues with the d40 that the dealer may not be telling me?

Some 08/09 D40 manuals had clutch issues - fixed. 2009 autos had DPFs fitted that caused some people a few issues (that could be avoided) - the 2010 apparently doesn't have a DPF any more, uses less fuel, has more power, and has just as much use for hairdressers as the 2009 and 2008 D40s. The diff issues (2006) and CV issues (also 2006) are gone, the bonnet issue (2009) is gone.

I have no knowledge of the Ford Ranger.

Some 08/09 D40 manuals had clutch issues - fixed. 2009 autos had DPFs fitted that caused some people a few issues (that could be avoided) - the 2010 apparently doesn't have a DPF any more, uses less fuel, has more power, and has just as much use for hairdressers as the 2009 and 2008 D40s. The diff issues (2006) and CV issues (also 2006) are gone, the bonnet issue (2009) is gone.

I have no knowledge of the Ford Ranger.

wow that was quick.
I had read earlier that the d40 had issues with the clutch but knowing that is sorted is helping!
I have a business contact that has a fleet of 6 rangers and has never had any issues with them, while another mate of mine bought one and has regretted it ever since (gearbox issues)

I have heaps of issues with mine, but I'm not sure I'd buy a Ford.
my complaints are:
Air filter is useless
Gearbox rubbish
Terrible turbo lag
cant fit a front locker (front diff looks like it was out of pulsar)
Flogs out steering rack bushes
Transfer case front drive shaft seal fails every time I engage 4WD
Rear LSD useless
Plastic interior marks easily
There's heaps more, but I can't think of them at the moment.
Have you driven a Dmax? It would be my choice behind the Hilux.

I drove a Ranger today, single cab.

Worst ride quality ever, I reckon my brothers shit box Courier rides better.

Dave.

I drove a Ranger today, single cab.

Worst ride quality ever, I reckon my brothers shit box Courier rides better.

Dave.

yeah i was more impressed with the navara when i drove it. I had an 08 RX dual cab for a week up in karratha and i was completely blown away with how quick the thing was for a diesel, and how comfortable it was as well.
the courier is a little bit cheaper, but it lacks cruise control and bluetooth phone connectivity, even on the top xlt model.

Back